U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,167,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Very nice. I'm 56, and I just bought a tankini set that looks similar to yours. http://m.jcpenney.com/p/zeroxposur-g...119Z1dc&page=1
With black swim shorts.

I like the concept of more sporty swimsuits. I've had my fair share of swim suits that had gross malfunctions when they were used for, you know, swimming��. Suits that became transparent, suits that fell down or ride up, suits that got nubby after the first time they met sand, etc.

Super cute! I love having the option of switching out tops and bottoms myself and the tankini set allow that! Plus you tend get a better fit overall ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM

6,335 posts, read 3,512,812 times
Bumping this thread to add a link to a company I just discovered that makes a wide variety of suits (both one piece and two piece) for heavier ladies. Hydrochic: Modest Swimwear Fashion for Women and Girls | HydroChic. I've got a snorkeling trip coming up next year, and I'm hopeful their long-sleeve rashguards and swim capris will work for my trip.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 AM

14,554 posts, read 11,555,148 times
I dont swim so a bikini is for lying sunbathing only so doesnt need to have different straps or whatever but when I entered a swimming pool in Greece to cool off my brand new cornflower blue and white bikini burned pale yellow.. and had to be thrown out... so why arent bikinis and swimsuits made so that they dont instantly lose their colour in the chlorine in pools..

Old 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM

24,479 posts, read 28,815,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont swim so a bikini is for lying sunbathing only so doesnt need to have different straps or whatever but when I entered a swimming pool in Greece to cool off my brand new cornflower blue and white bikini burned pale yellow.. and had to be thrown out... so why arent bikinis and swimsuits made so that they dont instantly lose their colour in the chlorine in pools..
Chlorine is bleach. I don't know of a single fabric that won't bleach in bleach. That said, if that happens, there is way too much chlorine in the pool.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM

841 posts, read 1,491,868 times
I turned 46 this year and I've been working out really regularly and since going vegan last year, I've dropped a decent amount of weight and I have started wearing a bikini again! It feels so liberating! And I've had 3 kids and a mastectomy.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:58 PM

4,291 posts, read 2,821,190 times
For most of my adulthood, I wore a bikini. I used to say to myself that I could never see me wearing a one-piece. Then Mother Nature kicked in and wearing a bikini was...um...less than flattering. My mother used to wear one and you couldn't see the bottom of her suit. Granted, I am not as heavy as my mother was, I just didn't want to go there. So, I did what I said I would never do-I bought a one-piece. I was very uncomfortable in it-especially when I had the call of Mother Nature. I hated having to strip down to go.

Then I discovered the tankini. PERFECT! It covered the areas I wanted to cover but I didn't have to strip down if Mother Nature called.

As for style, I like solid colors. Top & bottom HAS to be the same color. The first one I bought was red but I outgrew that pretty quickly. I am hoping to fit into it again soon. Then I bought a blue one that I have used for the past 5 years or so. I am thinking that maybe it is time for a new one.

Cat

Old 06-29-2017, 09:59 AM

1,174 posts, read 735,342 times
I'm in the 45+ crowd but have worn modest and sturdy one piece suits forever.

I have huge boobs to control and am a hardcore swimmer - I need real performance, not a cutesy fashion statement. I also burn horribly and easily so more cover is good.

But really, wear what you want. Enjoy your life. You'll be dead eventually one way or another.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:57 PM

8,212 posts, read 7,514,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Who said anything about "body shaming"? Ugh that term.

You might be A-Ok with your parts hanging out but your kids and their friends/SOs might not be... (I get it. You don't care about that.)

For me, I like to be stylish without my parts running around the beach. Im sure my adult kids and their GFs are thankful I'm not all "Look at Me!"
A. My parts don't hang out. At all.

B. I don't run around the beach with parts hanging out.

C. I am anything but "Look at Me!"

D. Please stop with your body issues.

I don't have them, my kids don't have them, you clearly do.

This isn't about how much skin I can show. I'm so sorry you cannot figure that out.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 AM

9,316 posts, read 18,008,671 times
I'm fond of White Stag, Le Cove & my most favorite is Maxine, Blair is okay, too. There's several Ava & Viv, but those are probably my least favorite. Probably the most "stylish", but not as good in the surf. The Maxine is the nicest as far as what looks good on me, your mileage may vary.

All of these swimsuits are one piece, most are one piece with an attached skirt and the skirts are all attached low so they won't end up over my face if I get swirled around in surf.

Ava & Viv seem to be a brand which may be of interest to the really endowed folks. That's the only brand I have with underwires and one of the Ava & Viv swimsuits can only be worn in a pool and not the ocean because it's just too roomy on top. Any bit of surf and that suit would fill up and cause a lot of drag. I'll probably give the Ava & Viv away to someone with a more suitable body.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:19 AM

5,888 posts, read 7,130,914 times
For the past few years I've bought a Lands End tankini top with a mini-skirted bottom. It has an underwire that can be removed (I think) and the padding can be removed. Only complaint I have about the top is that the padding shifts when putting it on. Then I struggle with getting it just right after the suit is on.

I have a bright pink skirt with a floral top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty