U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,623,475 times

Advertisements

Okay, don't buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 PM

600 posts, read 316,529 times
stupid name, stupid brand, overrated, ugly, tacky, tasteless. Under Armor.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,400,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
As a rule, I try to avoid chemical attire. The thing is, cotton fiber is absorbent, and at some point your perspiration rate exceeds its ability to shed moisture. This is where the synthetics do much better. Believe me, I have tried everything in many years of 100+ degrees outdoor activities, and once cotton's acquisition rate exceeds the evaporation rate, it's terrible.

Where the chem-fabrics don't do better, is odors. Some people never exert themselves enough to get to this point, but if you do, then you know what I mean. There are (overpriced/marketing hype) cleaners specifically for synthetics for this reason. All the marketing materials for synthetic performance claim that they have some sort of fresh-smelling material, but it's BS. If you exert yourself for a long period of time, wet natural fabrics will smell better (or less bad). But they'll be soaking wet, which sometimes causes other problems.

I'm a Florida dog walker and swear by WIN - I use exclusively tech fabrics. And bonus -they've lasted me YEARS - even white.

Win Green doesn't have any fragrance but Win Blue does. I put everything through a second rinse with the Blue.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,282,449 times
I personally love Under Amour. I buy their clothing specifically to workout or for work (I get messy with my line of work) and I love their backpacks and duffle bags. Their backpacks and duffle bags especially can last me a LONG time and are very good material and very good quality. I don't have an issue with their clothing at all.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM

42,274 posts, read 49,833,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
With UA you're basically paying a premium just to wear the logo.
Dude, they have like sales every five seconds, their outlet is accessible online, and I've never even paid $20 for any item they make because of it.
Even amazon will have them at discounted prices if it's last year's stuff.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 PM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There. I said it. I hate Under Armour. I also hate competing brands that make shirts out of polyester and call them "performance wear." This type of fabric makes my skin crawl. It gives me a feeling that the clothing just doesn't breathe.

Give me 100% cotton instead.

Anyone else agree?
Sort of.

9-11 should have taught us about the dangers of being in office buildings and synthetics.

Of course, I knew that before hand with ship fires and the Cobra Helicopter crash case/story.

Besides.....cotton, denim, and leather is sexy.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 PM

11,099 posts, read 6,601,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
9-11 should have taught us about the dangers of being in office buildings and synthetics.
I didn't realize synthetics were the real dangers people faced on 9/11...

Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 PM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I didn't realize synthetics were the real dangers people faced on 9/11...
Well, when you are trying to escape a fire and the heat is melting the clothes on your skin, it really sucks.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,573,935 times
In Texas, 100% cotton for any distance of outside activity is a bad idea. As long as it's dryfit, I don't care much what brand is associated with it. That said, I never wear dryfit as casual wear and unless your butt is on a mat, I don't want to see yoga pants either.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:52 AM

15,005 posts, read 16,568,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
In Texas, 100% cotton for any distance of outside activity is a bad idea. As long as it's dryfit, I don't care much what brand is associated with it. That said, I never wear dryfit as casual wear and unless your butt is on a mat, I don't want to see yoga pants either.
Cotton is great in low humidity, dry (no precip), and warmer temps. But when it is humid, rainy, and/or cold, there are better alternatives, both natural and synthetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty