U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times

Advertisements

I am on a bag buying kick right now and my passion for designer bags is on a huge high today.

I currently own bgas from designers such as

Louis Vuitton
Parada
Gucci
Calvin Klein
Coach
Michel Kors

But the other day I was in a consignment store and they had a few Louis Vuittonand holly cow I want one. There are CRAZY expensive though. The cheapest one in the consignment store was selling for $1900 plus tax. There was some for $10 000. I did not want to give it back to the sales person .

I got to say the feel of the Louis Vuitton is amazing ... but the Hermes Bags was bewitching ! I have heard there is a wait list to even buy these bags from the store. I am crazy ... but $1900 for a bag especially the way I treat by stuff is crazy ( though I have not copletly written off the idea ).

Which designer bag line would you say is the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
I have a Ferragamo bag and the leather is super nice. Super classy and understated.

Other mid to premium brands to consider:

"Designer"
Alexander Wang
Phillip Lim
Longchamp
Botkier

"High-end Designer" (these are not heritage houses)
Mulberry
Chloe
Proenza Schouler

"Luxury"
Chanel
Bottega Veneta
Dior
YSL
Celine
Ferragamo
Fendi
Givenchy
Loewe
Miu Miu
Balenciaga

Celine bags are on my wishlist, but most are pretty but not practical in my life. They are really pricey. But maybe I'll find a cool wallet. If I had a windfall I'd get the box bag - love it but not practical for day to day. Some are too fashion-y for me, but the designs are understated.

I also love the YSL Sac Du Jour, it is a little fancy for my real life but I love the shape.

Right now I have a Mulberry bag on order as a birthday gift to myself! Hopefully it is awesome. I have been considering a few different options for a day to evening bag with leather or suede lining.

You should follow Purseblog.com great site on this stuff!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have a Ferragamo bag and the leather is super nice. Super classy and understated.

Other mid to premium brands to consider:

"Designer"
Alexander Wang
Phillip Lim
Longchamp
Botkier

"High-end Designer" (these are not heritage houses)
Mulberry
Chloe
Proenza Schouler

"Luxury"
Chanel
Bottega Veneta
Dior
YSL
Celine
Ferragamo
Fendi
Givenchy
Loewe
Miu Miu
Balenciaga

Celine bags are on my wishlist, but most are pretty but not practical in my life. They are really pricey. But maybe I'll find a cool wallet. If I had a windfall I'd get the box bag - love it but not practical for day to day. Some are too fashion-y for me, but the designs are understated.

I also love the YSL Sac Du Jour, it is a little fancy for my real life but I love the shape.

Right now I have a Mulberry bag on order as a birthday gift to myself! Hopefully it is awesome. I have been considering a few different options for a day to evening bag with leather or suede lining.

You should follow Purseblog.com great site on this stuff!
I will check that out. Thanks. I almosy bought a vintages Hermes bag tonight..... but backed away slowly ..... I spent way too much on other nonessential today.

I was talking to this guy who works in a high end consignment type shop I go tomat times. He was explaining the resale rates for certain names. Chole or Tom Ford although excellent quaility dont resale as well. Louis Vitton is very popular... but Hermes bags tend to maintain the highest value. There was a lady that had a Hermes bag on the train tonight. I was so tempted to ask if it was real or fake. Though by looking at her it was pretty likely fake. If I was holding a $5000 purse I would not be dressed so frumpy. Just saying ......

I would be happy to have any of thos3vbrands of bags.

I am off to go play with my new toys

Last edited by klmrocks; 06-09-2017 at 10:27 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 01:55 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Bag resale isn't on my radar. Tgecmostbimportant thing is do I like it. Will I use it. I don't collect to turnover.

The Tom Ford bags are lovely but too dressy for my life. Most are stiff leather!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,491,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I will check that out. Thanks. I almosy bought a vintages Hermes bag tonight..... but backed away slowly ..... I spent way too much on other nonessential today.

I was talking to this guy who works in a high end consignment type shop I go tomat times. He was explaining the resale rates for certain names. Chole or Tom Ford although excellent quaility dont resale as well. Louis Vitton is very popular... but Hermes bags tend to maintain the highest value. There was a lady that had a Hermes bag on the train tonight. I was so tempted to ask if it was real or fake. Though by looking at her it was pretty likely fake. If I was holding a $5000 purse I would not be dressed so frumpy. Just saying ......

I would be happy to have any of thos3vbrands of bags.

I am off to go play with my new toys
One of the main benefits of carrying Hermes is that you can dress frumpy but people know you're rich. I have seen quite a few wealthy older ladies in Manhattan who are dressed in rags but have the right bag and sunglasses to tell you it's their choice. Lol

Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
One of the main benefits of carrying Hermes is that you can dress frumpy but people know you're rich. I have seen quite a few wealthy older ladies in Manhattan who are dressed in rags but have the right bag and sunglasses to tell you it's their choice. Lol
You are likely right about that lol. I was so tempted to ask her it is was real or not.. but that would of been rude or taken the wrong was ..... so I just tried to check out the details on it in a more suddle way so she did not star to wonder if I was going to jump her and try to steal her bag.

I just almost trashed a Louis Vitton bag I recently got today. I was walking and fell and took a huge wipe out and almost
Scratched it all up. Instead I landed on my knee and riped up all the skin in that area instead . In so much pain ..... but at least my bag is okay . I scratch up the gold and silver pandora bangles I was wearing though..... that really sucked. If sliding across the concert scratched up the bracelets.... it would have destroyed the bag.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:52 PM

88 posts, read 33,937 times
Careful with the Hermes bags, especially the Kelly and Birkins. They are sort of on surplus right now, while yes for many years they kept a very tight control on distribution but the past year or 2 the women who would buy 5/10+ Birkins per year have halted completely so now they aren't hard to get anymore and don't have the same resell value for the time being. Amazing that those bags actually were a real investment at one point and could make a significant amount of money on a resale. A few of my mega wealthy clients won't buy them anymore because they are easy to get now. I hear the same thing from multiple women who would spend an average of 1 mil a year on bags alone. That may change again in the future but I believe they will now be looking for the next super exclusive brand that is still understated.

Desires are interesting, some cultures the bigger the logo the better even with mega wealth (and by mega wealth I mean net worth in the billions. But at least here in the northeast, they want superb quality with the smallest logo and not plastered everywhere.

They are gorgeous though so if you buy it, do it because you love and cherish it.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 AM

Default .....

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for something I like and it would be pre owned as I would no be willing to spend over $1000 on one bag. I am a high end thrift shopper. I bought a lot this week so I should skow oy down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky76 View Post
Careful with the Hermes bags, especially the Kelly and Birkins. They are sort of on surplus right now, while yes for many years they kept a very tight control on distribution but the past year or 2 the women who would buy 5/10+ Birkins per year have halted completely so now they aren't hard to get anymore and don't have the same resell value for the time being. Amazing that those bags actually were a real investment at one point and could make a significant amount of money on a resale. A few of my mega wealthy clients won't buy them anymore because they are easy to get now. I hear the same thing from multiple women who would spend an average of 1 mil a year on bags alone. That may change again in the future but I believe they will now be looking for the next super exclusive brand that is still understated.

Desires are interesting, some cultures the bigger the logo the better even with mega wealth (and by mega wealth I mean net worth in the billions. But at least here in the northeast, they want superb quality with the smallest logo and not plastered everywhere.

They are gorgeous though so if you buy it, do it because you love and cherish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or