U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:14 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,016,445 times

Advertisements

After shave! It gets worse and worse each year. Living in Denmark as I do, I order stuff from the US that you can't get here, or if you can, it isn't to my taste, such as Vermont Maple Syrup and French Roast coffee beans. When we go to the US, my bags are laden down with US yummies from Whole Feeds/Food. by doing this I avoid the 25% tax + $30 handling fee imposed by Denmark when I order stuff by internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:35 PM

10,720 posts, read 19,072,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My favorite mascara that I used for years was discontinued. I searched every store for it and found nothing, then I ordered 4 tubes of it online. I'm down to my last tube, and I still haven't found a replacement for it that I liked. Damn you, Maybelline.
They've discontinued many that I've loved (yrs. ago I LOVED the one in the blue tube that was a tri-comb, I forget the name now) - when I figured out it was biting the dust I bought all I could find. Then I tried a ton of others (never liked any as much as that first one) - finally settled on Full 'n Soft, then they switch it up, changed the spelling, now it's hard to find.

It's pretty much guaranteed if I like/love a product it WILL be discontinued (recently found out the L'Oreal self-tanner lotion that I used (to replace another product that was... discontinued) - is also biting the dust... Too many products to mention and I when I google them all I usually find is many, many others complaining that it's gone.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:25 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,119,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I have that problem with shampoo. I can relate to stocking up!

It started with the original Prell. I know some of you are cringing in horror, but back in the 1960s, Prell was a cheap and good shampoo for really oily hair! Then they changed the formula about the mid-1970s and drastically in the 1980s. Then it disappeared for a long time. Now it's back, but the last bottle I tried just left a nasty film in my hair. I used the rest of it to wash the car, which is what I do with shampoo and body washes that are too nasty to use on my skin.

Then there was Mane and Tail shampoo. Again, worked really well for me and was extremely cheap. That was a fad for awhile in the 1980s -- it was available everywhere in that era of "big hair." It's still around but really hard for me to find, and the last bottle I had didn't clean that well. It seemed watered down.

And there were others, but their names have slipped my mind.

When I find something that I really, really like, I buy about dozen bottles and stick them in my basement.

You can probably find it at horse/livestock supply stores or easily online. I never understood why people liked that stuff. When we had horses I would never even use that product on them.

Prell shampoo has a scent I can't forget, I liked it.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM

116 posts, read 181,826 times
Here are mine:

St. Ives Jojoba Shampoo and Conditioner
Crystal Clean - Caribbean Cool Deodorant
Sunsilk (color boost) - Beyond Brunette

Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM

714 posts, read 992,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
They've discontinued many that I've loved (yrs. ago I LOVED the one in the blue tube that was a tri-comb, I forget the name now) - when I figured out it was biting the dust I bought all I could find. Then I tried a ton of others (never liked any as much as that first one) - finally settled on Full 'n Soft, then they switch it up, changed the spelling, now it's hard to find.
I thought it was all the brush really (same basic formula) so you couldn't you just use the same brush with other ones...

Old 06-10-2017, 04:24 PM

5,841 posts, read 3,309,517 times
There is a slightly tinted slightly sparkley clear nail polish I like. I purhased four extra bottles before it was discontinued. Still have 3 unopened.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:55 PM

10,232 posts, read 14,096,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My favorite mascara that I used for years was discontinued. I searched every store for it and found nothing, then I ordered 4 tubes of it online. I'm down to my last tube, and I still haven't found a replacement for it that I liked. Damn you, Maybelline.

Rimmel mascara (CVS, Walgreen's etc. have it) ... awesome and best for the price ... I've tried 'em all; even high end brands which are a waste of $$.

I used to be an addict for Finesse products ... can hardly find them now. I recently bought some Andalou/ Lavender-Biotin clear shampoo from Puritan's Pride and it is very nice. Hair really feels clean; I shampoo every other day, and follow up with a Clairol 'purple' conditioner for silver hair. Love that conditioner, my hair is natural mixed silver/grey and I get many compliments on the natural color. Even when I colored my hair blonde, I've always used that Clairol conditioner. I don't mind paying a few dollars extra for a better quality combo of shampoo 'n conditioner.

(Pantene shampoo & cond. has a reputation for causing hair loss by the way. True)

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-10-2017 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 04:55 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,584,670 times
I work for a well-known cosmetic company and we are always getting requests for discontinued products to be brought back. It would be nice if companies warn customers of impending discontinuation, but not many do.

Some advice on people looking to stock up while their product is still available:
* keep the product away from extreme heat or cold
* keep out of warm, damp places like bathrooms
* most products are viable up to 3 years from date of manufacture, unopened. Anything containing SPF will no longer provide sunscreen protection after 3 years. Depending on the amount and type of preservative in the cosmetic, at around 3 years these preservatives tend to degrade and bacteria may begin to form.
* Rule of thumb when deciding to use older products - if the texture, odor, color, or appearance looks "off", don't use it.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,781,605 times
Does anyone remember 'Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific' shampoo? it disappeared from market long ago. Maaaan, I loved that shampoo! It did make my hair smell terrific and nothing else ever came close after.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:09 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,969,759 times
Several decades ago, there were these knitted slubby silk tee shirts made. Nice thick silk with slubs in it for a nice texture, in lovely jewel tone colors. They weren't even that expensive. I'd bought about two dozen of them but now they're all worn very thin. I haven't seen them for sale in ages and can't even find the same knitted slubby silk fabric anywhere.

I've been looking for ages. It's one thing when a product disappears but when one of the items used to make the product isn't available it seems worse. Kinda like if they quit making glycerin or some main ingredient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or