U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:16 PM

9,764 posts, read 6,282,029 times

Advertisements

I have a problem, it's happened multiple times now. I finally juggle my various hair and skin care products to a perfect balance where everything is working great, and then they quit making one of them.

I used to use St. Ives "Timeless" facial scrub. They discontinued that exact product. They have other things like creams or lotions marked "timeless" and they have other kinds of scrubs, but nothing quite like the product I was using. It was very creamy and rinsed nice and clean and had only a LITTLE of the scrubby organic bits that scour the skin, not the sandpaper-level stuff you encounter in other scrubs. Really I don't think those bits did much of anything at all, there weren't enough of them, but the product simply worked nice for my skin. I have tried other things... I can't handle the stink of menthol, salicylic acid actually makes my skin break out (in an itchy rash!), other products either leave me too oily and breaking out or too dry. The only product I've found yet that is ~kind of ok~ is this Aveeno Absolutely Ageless blueberry cleanser, but I have one complaint about it...it is heavily perfumed and it stinks.

Then there is my soap. I was buying the soap they used to have at Ramada hotels, which was made by San Francisco Soap Co. and was a nice light oranges & cream scent, and rinsed well, and was generally lovely. Of course they quit making it. I have yet to find another soap with a similar scent except for this Dove soap I now have which unfortunately leaves a residue that doesn't rinse off well. Ick.

Then one of my hair conditioners vanished. L'Oreal EverPure (or whatever) leave in cream, which came in a pump container that looked like a hockey puck up on its edge. That stuff is amazing. And now no longer being made. *sigh*

Anybody else want to share their discontinued product woes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 PM

11,047 posts, read 6,583,754 times
Yes, I finally found a foundation that I like, but then it was discontinued. Most foundations have a pink undertone, which doesn't work for my skin tone, so its hard finding the right shade.

The only place I can find it now is Ulta online, so I have to buy a bunch at a time to meet their free shipping requirements. But I'm sure they'll eventually stop carrying it as well.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:35 PM

4,240 posts, read 3,032,954 times
My favorite shades of lipsticks are always being discontinued.

So lately, as soon as I realize that I really like a particular lipstick, I buy four others and keep them in the refrigerator. At least I know I'll be okay for a while if it gets discontinued.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:38 PM

1,363 posts, read 656,849 times
My favorite mascara that I used for years was discontinued. I searched every store for it and found nothing, then I ordered 4 tubes of it online. I'm down to my last tube, and I still haven't found a replacement for it that I liked. Damn you, Maybelline.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 AM

714 posts, read 992,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Then one of my hair conditioners vanished. L'Oreal EverPure (or whatever) leave in cream, which came in a pump container that looked like a hockey puck up on its edge. That stuff is amazing. And now no longer being made. *sigh*

Anybody else want to share their discontinued product woes?
I think I might have that, actually...haha.

You can look on ebay to see if they have them...otherwise I would probably just stock up on something if I were you. It's happened a few times before, but I don't use many products anyway so it's not a big deal nowadays. But when I was younger, and always annoyed by that one pimple or two that would always ruin my otherwise clear skin...I finally found a face wash that made my face actually feel CLEAN...it was a Sea Breeze clay cleanser...and of course I never got to buy it again. And there was also a body wash that worked good, for body acne, but of course they stopped making that also, because an ingredient was banned I think.

Then there were some perfumes that I loved that were discontinued. I was kind of a perfume collector and would buy any I liked the smell of, even though I wouldn't end up wearing it much. But I think the first one was Burberry Touch. Then there was one by Anna Sui that I loved - Dreams. And one by Calvin Klein - Truth, I think it was.

Now, if I find something that I really love I buy a few if possible. I got this Tarte lip tint a while ago on clearance, and was like wow, this is the best lip product ever. Then when I went to the dentist, the girl complimented me on it and asked what it was - I told her and said that it was my new favorite lip product - and she was like "oh, well I hope they don't stop making it then (haha)...because every time I find something I like they stop making it" and I was like, "I think they did, haha." so then I went to their website to check, and they still had it on clearance, so I ordered a couple...yes, I don't know why they have to discontinue things that everyone is clearly saying "no, don't stop making this!"

Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,118,356 times
I hate that. I go on Amazon and stock up. My 11 year old laughs when she sees my stash.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 AM

4,982 posts, read 5,458,908 times
I have that problem with shampoo. I can relate to stocking up!

It started with the original Prell. I know some of you are cringing in horror, but back in the 1960s, Prell was a cheap and good shampoo for really oily hair! Then they changed the formula about the mid-1970s and drastically in the 1980s. Then it disappeared for a long time. Now it's back, but the last bottle I tried just left a nasty film in my hair. I used the rest of it to wash the car, which is what I do with shampoo and body washes that are too nasty to use on my skin.

Then there was Mane and Tail shampoo. Again, worked really well for me and was extremely cheap. That was a fad for awhile in the 1980s -- it was available everywhere in that era of "big hair." It's still around but really hard for me to find, and the last bottle I had didn't clean that well. It seemed watered down.

And there were others, but their names have slipped my mind.

When I find something that I really, really like, I buy about dozen bottles and stick them in my basement.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Status: "Fighting off mauraders, again..." (set 13 days ago)

1,400 posts, read 436,365 times
Always happens to me with lipsticks (Christian Dior, Mac & YSL shades), perfumes (mostly Borghese) & bras... well, if you can include bras in the beauty category.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:48 AM

31,193 posts, read 57,331,348 times
I still have a stash of Avon lipstick I stocked up on 20 years ago. LOL. And Bath and Body works' Cool Citrus Basil body lotion - I bought a whole tote full of it when it was discontinued.

Look at Big Lots et al - where discontinued products go to die.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 AM

3,971 posts, read 8,628,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
My favorite shades of lipsticks are always being discontinued.

So lately, as soon as I realize that I really like a particular lipstick, I buy four others and keep them in the refrigerator. At least I know I'll be okay for a while if it gets discontinued.
I've been told by MAC that you should NOT keep them in the fridge, it isn't good for them, now mascara might work in the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or