U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:08 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,260,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
and each had $20 ... well let's just say I'd have a bundle.

My wife goes through two alternating phases:
  1. "I need a bigger purse. This one won't hold all I need."
  2. "My purse is HUUUGE! I need to buy a smaller one."

And she never discards her purses. But she never reuses them either. Rather than to go back to a previously acceptable purse, they just collect in her closet.

I, on the other hand, have had the same wallet for about twenty years.

Know anybody like us?
And if she had as many hair dryers as you have power tools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 AM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times
By purses do you mean small bags or ladies wallets....In the UK a purse is a wallet .. and its bad luck to buy your own.. its supposed to be a gift with coins inside
known as hanselling...to give luck.......my last one was given to me by my daughter,, was her own..and I love it..and wont have another until she gives me her next old one..... its not an important think to me..

Old 06-12-2017, 03:31 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
By purses do you mean small bags or ladies wallets....In the UK a purse is a wallet .. and its bad luck to buy your own.. its supposed to be a gift with coins inside
known as hanselling...to give luck.......my last one was given to me by my daughter,, was her own..and I love it..and wont have another until she gives me her next old one..... its not an important think to me..
In the US, a purse is what we call a bag that a lady carries, unless it's an expensive designer one and then we might refer to it as a bag. A ladies wallet is just called a wallet.

That sounds like a charming tradition.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 AM

2,089 posts, read 971,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
And if she had as many hair dryers as you have power tools...
Touche'! She'd have me blown away!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,260,734 times
I use all Milwaukee power tools, they're always red colored.
When she says " did you buy ANOTHER power tool"!

I say "no, its just that red one again, remember"?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 AM

2,089 posts, read 971,994 times
Now I know why all my wife's purses are brown!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM

13,155 posts, read 7,398,957 times
So OP is saying men are from Mars, women are from Venus. What an earth shattering revelation

Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,452,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I use all Milwaukee power tools, they're always red colored.
When she says " did you buy ANOTHER power tool"!

I say "no, its just that red one again, remember"?
LOL!

And at one time, I had a red, navy, white, yellow, and floral purse to coordinate with outfits. That was back when one didn't wear white shoes after Labor Day!

Geez, I'm glad a lot of those rules have been forgotten!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Women search for the right bag because while they find a bag that holds their wallet, keys, lipstick, comb, pill case, and whatever is specific to their needs, when they go out with the hubs, especially when he's driving, they find that they now need room for HIS keys, HIS wallet (so he doesn't get a bulge in his good suit) and whatever he needs to unload so that he looks slim and trim.

Once, long ago, when the late hubs and I went out to a function that he knew would be dry, we were on the way out the door and he handed me two cans of beer and said, "Here, put these in your purse." I went upstairs, picked out my girliest purse and said, "Here, put them in your own purse."

Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 AM

72 posts, read 71,711 times
This is pretty common. They key difference there though is that a wallet isn't outward facing. Purses have a distinct look or style, so it makes sense to have more than one to match with different things (similar to how many people have a few active pairs of shoes in rotation). However, the whole buying them, getting over them and never using them again thing seems a bit wasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty