U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 971,994 times

Advertisements

and each had $20 ... well let's just say I'd have a bundle.

My wife goes through two alternating phases:
  1. "I need a bigger purse. This one won't hold all I need."
  2. "My purse is HUUUGE! I need to buy a smaller one."

And she never discards her purses. But she never reuses them either. Rather than to go back to a previously acceptable purse, they just collect in her closet.

I, on the other hand, have had the same wallet for about twenty years.

Know anybody like us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:35 AM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I have a lot of purses. And here is some of my psychology.

First off - I want my outfits and accessories to relay a message that says I am stylish, polished, interesting and successful. This means I generally want a structured bag not slouchy. Something neutral - the bag is never the focal point. And I don't want to look like everyone else.

I always want a few types: go to weekday, go to weekend, job interview, fancy party and alternatives for work and weekend if black won't work.

The next layer is around the sort of impression I'd like to give or what I want my purse to communicate.

After years of searching - I found my perfect black bag that worked for most occasions. It was polished enough, subtly branded and had multiple carrying options. I was an early adopter and it garnered lots of compliments. Then it got over-exposed and too many people had it. So I needed a new one. And now that one is the rain purse.

So I was back to finding my holy grail of basic black bags that I will use most of the time. This bag has to hold my full sized wallet, cosmetic case, kindle, water bottle, daily accessories and a scarf or umbrella. This time around I picked a luxury bag because it needed to be a bit of a status symbol. But it also could not be too common. Or too formal since it needed to work with lots of outfits.

I also like a smaller bag for the weekend. I have a lot of those. There are 3 I go to most often, picked up at different phases. One is a Kate Spade messenger like bag. It I casual and unpretentious. It holds the basics. The second is a Canadian bag I got at a hipster boutique. It is soft and organic shaped and fits a ton. This is when I want something not stuffy, interesting and non-descript. It just sends a message that I have unique taste. There is no branding on the bag. The last one is also super mainstream - it is a coach bag but it wasn't very popular. I have never seen anyone where it. This one has super minimal branding. Most people are very surprised it is coach. It is also super easy to carry and it is like a clown purse. Small in profile but can fit wallet, basics, water bottle and a scarf. The shape is really cool. This one leaves a good impression. Even in high end boutiques. Fashion forward but affordable. If I need too downsize this is a keeper. This is my go to day to going out bag, but it is not too pretentious.

My newest bag is from a trendy but understated French brand. It is in an unusual color and trendy shape. But it is not as boring as the other bags in this shape so it is eye catching. It has a lot of subtle detail that make it fashion forward. I am using it for weekend, travel and going out as an interesting alternative to my "boring" black bags. I have also found this one seems to play well when going out and shopping at high end stores, low end stores and to make an outfit look hipper. It was a great purchase and is also on my keep list if I were to downsize.

I am now looking for a luxury day bag that is smaller. And not over exposed but still signals appropriately. I have learned that sometimes it pays to carry a high end purse. And you should be cognizant of the message your bag sends.

*i am loyal to wallets. I generally keep them for a few years. Unless my needs change.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,359,240 times
Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
and each had $20 ... well let's just say I'd have a bundle.

My wife goes through two alternating phases:
  1. "I need a bigger purse. This one won't hold all I need."
  2. "My purse is HUUUGE! I need to buy a smaller one."

And she never discards her purses. But she never reuses them either. Rather than to go back to a previously acceptable purse, they just collect in her closet.

I, on the other hand, have had the same wallet for about twenty years.

Know anybody like us?
I own in the hundreds range. I should try to rotsye more though. I just bought 8 new ones over the last week. Though 5 are being sipped.

To me they are fashion accessories. My husbands makes the same claims but he has way too msny running shoes and jeans so he is not perfect either.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,452,539 times
My last boyfriend had the same wallet for 8 years, and then I got him another and made him use it because the first wallet was not tanned correctly and was starting to get gross. If he hadn't passed away, I suspect he would've carried that wallet for 15+ years.

I used to have about two dozen purses. Most were gifts that I should have re-gifted. As it was, I gave most of them to Goodwill when I moved.

I'm back to two bags: small one for formal occasions and a medium-sized leather one for when I carry a handbag.

Lately, I've been doing without and and just carrying a coin purse that is large enough to hold my license and a few other cards.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:35 PM

18,860 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Your wife looks for certain things in a purse, but she uses it to convey information about herself. She also needs carry space for things like sunglasses, money, tissues, keys, lipstick, phone.

You use your wallet to carry money, credit cards and maybe a few pictures. So, your wallet serves less purpose for you than your wife's purse does for her.

I sort of feel sorry for my DH. He needs to carry keys, money, cards, sunglasses, and phone. He really only has room for money in his wallet.

And, men's clothing generally has more and better pockets than women's clothing does. So, your wallet does not equate to your wife's purse.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your wife looks for certain things in a purse, but she uses it to convey information about herself. She also needs carry space for things like sunglasses, money, tissues, keys, lipstick, phone.

You use your wallet to carry money, credit cards and maybe a few pictures. So, your wallet serves less purpose for you than your wife's purse does for her.

I sort of feel sorry for my DH. He needs to carry keys, money, cards, sunglasses, and phone. He really only has room for money in his wallet.

And, men's clothing generally has more and better pockets than women's clothing does. So, your wallet does not equate to your wife's purse.
I didn't mean to imply they have the same function. Thing is, if I'd have said my shoes or a belt, the math would have been about the same!!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:10 PM

18,860 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I didn't mean to imply they have the same function. Thing is, if I'd have said my shoes or a belt, the math would have been about the same!!
OK, what are you saying? Just curious.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK, what are you saying? Just curious.
Just saying her motives for changing purses change with the wind. Whereas I would use the same wallet, belt, or shoes for years without even noticing.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
My husband has more shoes and belts than I have. I have lots of purses, but he has bags for work, bags for the gym, bags for the range, and so on. And the jackets, I have three and he's got at least 12. And he's got a huge pile of uniform accessories, spare duty belts (in case he gets fat, he says), holsters, etc. He uses most of the space in our closet and armoire, along with our coat closet.

There was one time he suggested that possibly I had too many purses, because he wanted to use the shelf on the top of my side of the closet to store gun boxes. I gave that suggestion all the consideration it deserved...none.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Ok...so, guess I'll keep the 5 new purses I bought? I ordered them to check them out, thinking I would just keep one or two, but.....they are all so nice, classic, good colors....and really are a status symbol, not a feed bag you carry your stuff around! But I still need a good, basic black purse, preferably in Saffiano leather, with brass trim, just a subtle trim...wait for the next round of sales!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty