U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM

7,970 posts, read 3,869,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They look good? How so? They're not flattering. They overwhelm the face. What's annoying is that eyewear design follows youth demand, so that when something clumsy and unattractive-looking like this comes along, it takes over the eyewear fashion industry, such as it is, so that people who are past their 20's (which covers a lot of terrain--almost the entire adult world) have trouble finding attractive choices. Selection outside of the major trend is limited.

You must be looking in the wrong places. I've had no problems finding plenty of selection. I prefer lighter looking wire rimmed, and there's a ton of choices out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They look good? How so? They're not flattering. They overwhelm the face. What's annoying is that eyewear design follows youth demand, so that when something clumsy and unattractive-looking like this comes along, it takes over the eyewear fashion industry, such as it is, so that people who are past their 20's (which covers a lot of terrain--almost the entire adult world) have trouble finding attractive choices. Selection outside of the major trend is limited.
As a wearer of large black plastic frames (that I get complimented on constantly) I'd be interested to see what kind of frames you think are attractive.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times
A responsible optometrist wouldn't let a client leave the shop with specs (like those pictured) which are much too big for the wearer's face.
Here are mine. Made by Etnia Barcelona, in Spain; the "nashville" model. They are navy blue; I also have the same frame in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Hipster glasses-smallbluenashville.jpg  

Old 06-13-2017, 06:44 PM

7,970 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
A responsible optometrist wouldn't let a client leave the shop with specs (like those pictured) which are much too big for the wearer's face.
As long as the lenses properly correct the wearer's vision, the optometrist gets no say in the style of the frames.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:59 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
As long as the lenses properly correct the wearer's vision, the optometrist gets no say in the style of the frames.
Ditto. I like retro "nerd" glasses. They look good on me. *shrug*

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM

33,058 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Here are mine. Made by Etnia Barcelona, in Spain; the "nashville" model. They are navy blue; I also have the same frame in red.
Those are similar to a pair of Skaga frames I bought this year.

I also have some Tom Ford ones that are plastic and a bit thicker, but not like the ones from the earlier photo.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
first of all, I can think of lots of different styles of glasses that people might associate with the broad term of 'hipsters'. Given that though, how is an innocuous glasses frame choice even close to the worst fashion trend you've ever seen?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,688,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
These are hipster glasses

The one good thing about them is it's easy to spot a left wing snowflake and to stay away from them if you decide
probably the worst trend in social media is throwing around the term left wing snowflake. When someone uses this it's a good indicator for me to back out of the conversation

Old 06-14-2017, 11:21 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
I have a pair of frames I have worn for the last 24 years. If they made them like this, I'd buy new ones, but at least in the shops they don't. Maybe I could find some online, but given the fact that mine have lasted so long even though I don't handle them delicately (I've worn 'em in mosh pits!) they probably are not as well made.

Mine are perfectly circular frame shape, they are fairly big for my face, but not huge, they are silver and the frame itself isn't very think, nor extremely thin. More of a flattened "bar" shape than a "wire". They are Brooks Brothers, Italian made, and I got them when I was 14. They were expensive at the time.

I have had, out in the wild, about a bajillion compliments on them. Everybody thinks they are cool, though I do get some John Lennon comments at times, because apparently the round shape is somehow unique to him just because it was part of his look (?) ...whatever. I then go to an eye appointment, and out of desperation to get me to buy new frames, the optometrist will tell me that mine are unfashionable, and too big for my face. They can bite me. I've tried other kinds, I hate thick plastic rims because I can SEE them and it's annoying. I hate smaller lenses because they offer less peripheral vision. This is more about what I find comfortable, than what an optometrist (who is, after all, trying to sell me something) thinks. They also love to pull the whole, "Well, they are so old, if we try to fit new lenses to them they'll probably break." Yeah, no. If I can wear 'em to 35 GWAR concerts and they didn't break, then you had better not break them. Just because YOUR products aren't built to last, doesn't mean that my frames weren't.

I don't know why round-rimmed frames have not made a comeback in optometry shops in forever. You would think that with all the nerdy, Starbucks swilling, thrift store shopping, "vintage" loving hipster types out there, it would totally be a thing. *shrug* I just don't want to waste my money on uncomfortable and cheaply constructed "fashionable" junk.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't know why round-rimmed frames have not made a comeback in optometry shops in forever. You would think that with all the nerdy, Starbucks swilling, thrift store shopping, "vintage" loving hipster types out there, it would totally be a thing. *shrug* I just don't want to waste my money on uncomfortable and cheaply constructed "fashionable" junk.
At my last trip to the optician earlier this year, she kept trying to put me in round frames. I hated them on my face, and many of them were way too Harry Potter-ish. So round frames are out there. (I ende up with these: https://ogieyewear.com/en/7162-8136.html)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty