U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Colorado
9,940 posts, read 6,357,464 times
Reputation: 17875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You notice I said "MOST PEOPLE". Perhaps you don't fall in that category. We can't tell from a cropped picture of eyes.

Right. But people are not saying, "Oh, they are perfectly shaped for your particular face." They just think they're cool because they are unusual. And anyone who has tried 'em on for funsies, although obviously my prescription won't work for them, but I haven't seen the frames look bad on anybody.

However, I would say that what looks good or bad, is...well...incredibly subjective to say the least. I think that polo shirts look bad. But who am I to say, right?

Mostly the cropped picture was because I am more trying to show you what the glasses look like, and there is no finding a photo of this particular brand/style on the internet, they probably haven't been sold in decades.

And again, my own comfort behind the lenses means so much more to me, than what the rest of the world is seeing on my face. I rejected other styles, which I was willing to try, because I am not sacrificing a significant part of my field of vision to a narrower lens, or to a wider rimmed frame. I'd much rather be unfashionable, than uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 PM
 
8,129 posts, read 3,972,226 times
Reputation: 27950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
However, I would say that what looks good or bad, is...well...incredibly subjective to say the least. I think that polo shirts look bad. But who am I to say, right?
I never said anything about whether they look good or bad. I said round is not FLATTERING for most people, which isn't particularly subjective. Round shapes serve to make the face look rounder, which most people try to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,940 posts, read 6,357,464 times
Reputation: 17875
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I never said anything about whether they look good or bad. I said round is not FLATTERING for most people, which isn't particularly subjective. Round shapes serve to make the face look rounder, which most people try to avoid.
I'm trying to imagine what you mean, and I was struggling when thinking about my own glasses. So I took to the Google! And did an image search for "person wearing round glasses."

The ones I see that are unflattering are too big, buglike, or have dark plastic rims that are too thick. Scrolling down, the ones with the thinner metal rims, to even include Harry Potter, look pretty smart and stylish to me.

John Lennon rocked those round frames. So did many others of his day.

Since I do not agree with you that these people are not flattered by their lovely round specs, I'm falling right back to the word, "subjective."

Also hey, faces come in all sorts of shapes! Why would someone with an angular face object to softening/rounding effects? I have a heart shaped face with prominent cheekbones, one girlfriend called them "exotic looking" but I'm mostly British so I am afraid I cannot agree with her word choice. Still, I would not say that "most" people that I know have faces that seem excessively round.

The only point I am trying to make is that the number of people who like my frames and say they wish they could find frames like this in their local optometry shop outnumber the ones who have told me that round frames are unflattering, which so far includes people trying to sell me non-round frames...and one poster on CD. I think that there is a market. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,997 posts, read 4,725,285 times
Reputation: 4039
In general, I agree that I don't think round frames look great on most people. That's just my personal opinion.

That being said, I don't expect other people to wear anything different based on my taste. And if someone is happy with how they look in round frames, then that is all that matters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM
 
8,129 posts, read 3,972,226 times
Reputation: 27950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The only point I am trying to make is that the number of people who like my frames and say they wish they could find frames like this in their local optometry shop outnumber the ones who have told me that round frames are unflattering, which so far includes people trying to sell me non-round frames...and one poster on CD. I think that there is a market. That's all.

Jeezus. Someone is defensive. Perhaps they look FREAKING AMAZING on you. I don't know.

Bottom line, most people don't like round frames for themselves. They may compliment someone else on their round frames, but never wear round themselves. If they did, there would be more demand and availability.

It's a niche. You're in the niche. You get a BAZILLION compliments. CONGRATS. Most people are not in that niche. Even if they found these holy grail round frames, I bet they wouldn't actually buy them, despite what they tell you.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:00 PM
 
393 posts, read 94,542 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Jeezus. Someone is defensive. Perhaps they look FREAKING AMAZING on you. I don't know.

Bottom line, most people don't like round frames for themselves. They may compliment someone else on their round frames, but never wear round themselves. If they did, there would be more demand and availability.

It's a niche. You're in the niche. You get a BAZILLION compliments. CONGRATS. Most people are not in that niche. Even if they found these holy grail round frames, I bet they wouldn't actually buy them, despite what they tell you.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Have something to eat. You're sounding like you're blood sugar is low. People often get irritable when their sugar drops. I also have had round glasses so apparently other people WOULD actually buy them. Everyone is in one niche or another. LIGHTEN UP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 03:20 PM
 
8,129 posts, read 3,972,226 times
Reputation: 27950
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
Have something to eat. You're sounding like you're blood sugar is low. People often get irritable when their sugar drops. I also have had round glasses so apparently other people WOULD actually buy them. Everyone is in one niche or another. LIGHTEN UP.
No, I get irritable when people get obnoxious in the defense of the amazingness of their glasses when I wasn't saying anything against their glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM
 
393 posts, read 94,542 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Jeezus. Someone is defensive. Perhaps they look FREAKING AMAZING on you. I don't know.

Bottom line, most people don't like round frames for themselves. They may compliment someone else on their round frames, but never wear round themselves. If they did, there would be more demand and availability.

It's a niche. You're in the niche. You get a BAZILLION compliments. CONGRATS. Most people are not in that niche. Even if they found these holy grail round frames, I bet they wouldn't actually buy them, despite what they tell you.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, I get irritable when people get obnoxious in the defense of the amazingness of their glasses when I wasn't saying anything against their glasses.
"Defensive" and "obnoxious"?
She was saying how much she loved her glasses and you kept telling her why she was wrong because most people wouldn't buy them. Bottom line, it doesn't matter that most people don't like round frames for themselves. She does. That's all that should matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 09:28 AM
 
8,129 posts, read 3,972,226 times
Reputation: 27950
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
"Defensive" and "obnoxious"?
She was saying how much she loved her glasses and you kept telling her why she was wrong because most people wouldn't buy them. Bottom line, it doesn't matter that most people don't like round frames for themselves. She does. That's all that should matter.
Incorrect. She (who I believe is actually a he) questioned why round glasses haven't made a comeback. I explained why (they aren't flattering on most people), and he took it personally. I never told him he was wrong for liking his frames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,058 posts, read 3,298,384 times
Reputation: 7453
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I never said anything about whether they look good or bad. I said round is not FLATTERING for most people, which isn't particularly subjective. Round shapes serve to make the face look rounder, which most people try to avoid.
You do know what "subjective" means, right? What is attractive and not attractive is a function of a person's culture -- there's no objective set of rules out there in the cosmos defining what's flattering and not flattering. Which makes what's "flattering" subjective.

Beck's Social Psychology Page: Cross Cultural Perception of Attractiveness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top