U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM

7,971 posts, read 3,869,017 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are rules ... round shapes make faces appear fuller. That is not subjective.

Not bothering with the link because I am not referring to attractiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes, there are rules ... round shapes make faces appear fuller. That is not subjective.
The belief that fuller faces are less flattering is not a rule - it's an opinion based on your own preferences, which are in turn influenced by your culture, your personal experiences, and likely natural selection as well. Go to the library and look at a few back seasons of National Geographic and see what sort of adornments are used in other cultures, and how their standards of beauty differ. To speak of something being flattering outside a cultural context is meaningless.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:49 PM

The folks in National Geographic typically are not concerned about the shape of their frames.

People who concerned about picking flattering frames, for the most part, are not interested in making their face look fuller. That is not an absolute statement, but it does speak to why round frames are not in hot demand.

If anyone wants to wear and love their round frames, more power to them. I am not criticizing people who wear or like round frames. I am simply commenting on the other poster's question of why round frames are not more popular.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,423,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Conservative girls wear them too. They are now a mainstream fashion trend and women will follow. Well, guys too.
Yep i never said it's just women i see dudes that look ridiculous in them too. As far as party affiliation very very few conservatives wear them i guarantee it. Everytime i see liberal protesters on tv it's hipsters wearing these glasses. It is largely an identifying trend that libs wear. Stereotypes exist based on reality it's not something that is just made up. It's like when most people assume i play basketball just because i'm tall that's because a lot of tall people play basketball but do i get offended? nope.

Liberals are all about change and these style trends are obviously changing all the time. A conservative sticks with what has been around and works.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
In my opinion by far the worst trend i've seen in all my life.
How do you do you go on in the face of such a trying thing as that?

Old 06-18-2017, 02:52 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Stereotypes exist based on reality it's not something that is just made up.
Except when its a stereotype that just one person made up. I've never heard anyone else claim that only liberals wear trendy glasses.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Lord a-mighty. This, what a lovely illustration of how CD'ers (a few) have this gift, this positive knack, of taking even the most innocuous conversation and turning it into something bordering on a flame war.

On what basis do you question my gender, you silly person? How hilarious are you. We're talking about frames, here, I assure you that I am in every conceivable way female, not that it matters and not that I've got a single thing to prove to the likes of you. Oh, and were you the one with the rep, of, "aren't you precious"...was it annoying that I didn't continue the fight over the weekend? Had better things to do, I'm afraid.

Look, if it makes you happy to feel that your OPINION is the final word on what is "flattering" or not, get on with your bad self. I have no horse in this race. I find Capri pants unflattering on anyone, anywhere, anytime, but I certainly do not expect my OPINION to have any weight whatsoever with the many people who love wearing them. I find Magnum PI mustaches to be utterly abhorrent, but thousands of men who sported them in the 70's (or any time) and the ladies who loved 'em...would likely disagree. Hey. If you feel good in your skin, or your frames, or your pants, or your facial hair...you do you.

I have not seen round frames in any in-person visit to any shop in well over a decade. Fashions come and go. People change their minds on what they find "flattering" or not, no matter how it shapes your whatever. I've seen fashions that attained popularity despite not being what I would consider "flattering." People like what they like. I am only surprised in the sense that, since "vintage" looks tend to make comebacks, that the eyewear industry doesn't seem to try and profit from that the way, say, the clothing industry does. I know more than one woman who wears big cat-eye Hollywood Glam shaped sunglasses. I don't find them flattering. But the wearers do, or maybe just think they're cute. Whatever.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM

I assume you're addressing your comments to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
On what basis do you question my gender, you silly person? How hilarious are you. We're talking about frames, here, I assure you that I am in every conceivable way female, not that it matters and not that I've got a single thing to prove to the likes of you. Oh, and were you the one with the rep, of, "aren't you precious"...was it annoying that I didn't continue the fight over the weekend? Had better things to do, I'm afraid.
I apologize for assuming the wrong gender. I'm not the only one who was assuming gender, I just happened to be the one to get it wrong. It can be hard to know on C-D. And no, the "aren't you precious" wasn't me ... I don't do passive/aggressive anonymous rep messages.

Quote:
I have not seen round frames in any in-person visit to any shop in well over a decade.
I've seen them, and I haven't even been looking for them. A couple of examples from a major retailer:
(Yes, I recognize that this is online and you said "in-person", however I can't exactly take you into a store and show you)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Gant-...sses/556693056

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Gant-...sses/799810579

Quote:
People change their minds on what they find "flattering" or not, no matter how it shapes your whatever. I've seen fashions that attained popularity despite not being what I would consider "flattering." People like what they like. I am only surprised in the sense that, since "vintage" looks tend to make comebacks, that the eyewear industry doesn't seem to try and profit from that the way, say, the clothing industry does. I know more than one woman who wears big cat-eye Hollywood Glam shaped sunglasses. I don't find them flattering. But the wearers do, or maybe just think they're cute. Whatever.
You (and others) are confusing "flattering" with "attractive". Attractive is subjective. Flattering is not. Mom jeans are not flattering because they make the middle appear thicker. That has nothing to do with whether they are attractive or not. It is a functional statement of how our eyes react to shapes. Ever watch "What not to Wear"? They frequently recommended tailored jackets, not primarily because they were attractive but because they were flattering because they created a waistline and balanced the proportions. Black is a flattering color because it creates a streamlined silhouette that elongates. No matter how much someone may hate black, that doesn't change the fact that it is a flattering color to the shape.

It is a fact (not subjective) that round frames make the face appear fuller. It's not a matter of whether or not people think they look cute or not.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 06-19-2017 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 04:36 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Right.

So if I feel like a gangly tall skinny woman I should still wear a color that "elongates" such as black? It would be flattering to someone who could use that particular optical effect to balance the shape of their body.

I'm an artist, and as such well aware of optical effects, balance, composition, negative space, and how some shapes alter the perceived shape of other nearby or overlapping ones. I grasp what you are trying to say, and mostly disagree that what FLATTERS one face type won't necessarily FLATTER another, that is shaped entirely differently and doesn't benefit from being made to appear more angular, long, or not rounded. In which case a "softening" effect, from a purely spatial standpoint, may in fact be flattering to that individual.

If you have a fat face, round frames might not be for you.

Also, the ones you linked are nothing like what I am talking about. The first pair are terrible thick plastic, and the second are slightly horizontal oval shaped. Neither in the spirit of your John Lennon or Harry Potter type frames, which are slender rimmed by comparison. I don't find thick plastic of any shape to be especially flattering...but that is just my opinion.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM

11,023 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Also, the ones you linked are nothing like what I am talking about. The first pair are terrible thick plastic, and the second are slightly horizontal oval shaped. Neither in the spirit of your John Lennon or Harry Potter type frames, which are slender rimmed by comparison. I don't find thick plastic of any shape to be especially flattering...but that is just my opinion.
You can go onto any website that sells glasses and find the type you are talking about. If more people wanted to wear round glasses, they would be able to find them, and places would start carrying more options. But it seems there is a low demand for round, metal frame glasses since you really don't see many people wearing them.

Gold Metal Alloy Full-Rim Frame with Spring Hinge #4500 | Zenni Optical Eyeglasses

https://m.glassesusa.com/black-mediu...31-m10219.html

https://www.aclens.com/eyeglasses/jo...?stockId=99930

https://www.framesdirect.com/framesf...-tdognj/r.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty