U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 PM

8,088 posts, read 3,915,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Right.

So if I feel like a gangly tall skinny woman I should still wear a color that "elongates" such as black? It would be flattering to someone who could use that particular optical effect to balance the shape of their body.

I'm an artist, and as such well aware of optical effects, balance, composition, negative space, and how some shapes alter the perceived shape of other nearby or overlapping ones. I grasp what you are trying to say, and mostly disagree that what FLATTERS one face type won't necessarily FLATTER another, that is shaped entirely differently and doesn't benefit from being made to appear more angular, long, or not rounded. In which case a "softening" effect, from a purely spatial standpoint, may in fact be flattering to that individual.

If you have a fat face, round frames might not be for you.
Still struggling with comprehension of the word "most", I see?

A gangly tall skinny woman is not going to fall under the category of "most people." MOST people are not trying to make their face fuller. Yes, there are exceptions, such as your gangly tall skinny woman, but MOST people want to appear more slender than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 AM

9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
S'pose I am just wondering which comes first here, the chicken or the egg?

To fashion in general...for many people, they let the industry tell them what looks good "this season" by what is new in stores. Some prefer to hunt for out of style rarities in bargain bins and thrifts. Some are living in a realm of nostalgia for what they liked when younger, and some are trying to bring forth something they liked that was popular before they were born. Some defy trends, some follow them, and some set them. I just wonder sometimes, does the fashion industry (to include the companies that provide things like the stock of frames in most eyewear stores) define what is popular, by what is advertised and available, or does it respond to demand and "what people want to wear" in a particular time, and if so, how would they determine that? I am guessing it's some of both.

I like and would wear:

These: https://www.framesdirect.com/framesf...-tdognj/r.html From Sundaydrive00's post on page 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Still struggling with comprehension of the word "most", I see?

A gangly tall skinny woman is not going to fall under the category of "most people." MOST people are not trying to make their face fuller. Yes, there are exceptions, such as your gangly tall skinny woman, but MOST people want to appear more slender than they are.
I think I just get frustrated with what I see as overgeneralization. Like...this is an absolute rule!...except for all the times it isn't. I dunno. I prefer to think in terms of diversity rather than terms of "most" dictating "rules" for all of us. Inherent part of my mindset I guess. But then I tend to not follow trends, or rather to cherry pick bits from various trends, past and present, to suit myself.

To come back to a place of discussion and intellectual exercise here, I would say that the woman in the product photos for these frames on Etsy (you may have to scroll down a little, pic of an older lady)...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1823830...yeglass-frames

These frames are NOT flattering on her. But it's not because of the shape of her face, rather the shape of her eyes. I don't think she has aged badly really, but her lids have begun to droop and she has some circling under her eyes. These round glasses are like somebody took a marker and drew a circle around those features and said LOOK! Your eyes make you look old!! I think she would benefit from something like the little wire rectangles more common in at least my own optometrists' selection of frames. And yeah, I don't like the thick plastic so I already dislike these, but even thinner ones...I don't think that round frames are a good look for this lady, even though she has a rather longish face shape.

We all gotta work with what we've got!

I have a pair of glasses that belonged to my great grandmother, rest her soul, a beloved relative who died when I was a child. And they are this wild long, horizontal swoopy cat-eye shape, heavy silver with all kinds of little designs in the metal. I should get a picture of them sometime. I would never wear them, but when I hold them and look at them, I can see her face in my mind. Probably if round frames were much more common, I would get less comments and compliments on mine...as it is, they are "part of my face" in much the same way my Gran's glasses were part of hers.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 AM

8,088 posts, read 3,915,996 times
Your link didn't work.

Anyway, you're missing the point of the conversation (that is, the demand isn't there for round frames because they aren't flattering for most people, that's why there aren't more available) and instead taking it personally.

I'm out.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:35 PM

1,687 posts, read 923,204 times
The frames are even worse when part of the complete uniform: glasses? check, skinny jeans? check, facial hair that stands out in a crowd? check, "ironic" t-shirt that isn't? check...

Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM

11,090 posts, read 9,029,932 times
All this arguing over something that is completely subjective. Arguing over what looks good is like arguing why the color blue is better than the color green.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
I nearly responded again yesterday, but then decided...meh, the heck with it.

Particularly when I realized that I was stunned at how it had managed to somehow get so personal and prickly, and that here I am thinking that hertfordshire is taking this way too personally because I disagree over the "rules" vs "subjective" point, and hertfordshire believes I am taking it all personally in basically defending my own frames and trying to insist that they are "flattering" (and by god not any other synonym)...and somehow it all spiraled into utter absurdity.

I'm not taking this personally. I think we just got dragged into the weeds.

I wanted to think about the deeper question of whether the people's tastes dictate the directions of new fashion and what is offered in stores, or whether the fashion industry tells people what they are supposed to like via advertising and promotion...? I have seen many things commonly sold in typical stores that are not by anyone's definition, flattering, to most (or any) people. Yet some designer somewhere thought it was a good idea. And somebody is buying it. So I don't think that it is as simple as, "Stores sell that which is objectively flattering to most people."

All this reminds me of a Cards Against Humanity card. "The eight gay warlocks who dictate the rules of fashion." Maybe they are to blame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty