U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with women shaving off their natural eyebrows and having new ones either painted/drawn in or tattood? Ive been seeing this a lot lately. This used to just be something that older (65+) women would do after having face lifts but Ive been seeing women in their 20s doing this. It really looks bad.

Why would someone do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,138,912 times
I'm with you on that one. I also think it looks horrible. And when they begin to age, it's really going to look bad.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,985,925 times
It's creepy. I love neatly trimmed, arched brows- they can really frame your face but anything drawn or painted is a bit scary.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
Any thoughts on what to do though if your eyebrows are really thinning out as you get older, and they weren't thick to begin with? I have spots/spaces w/o any hairs...

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,695,159 times
I'm one of those woman who paints them on each day. Unlike some of you, I was born with very little eyebrows. I got the gift of very few strands. I did seek permanent make-up, but because the consultant was not out for a few bucks, suggested against it. He basically told me he only like to paint them on the vain actors. He broke down all the, "why not do it permanent tales". After the consultation with him, I'm still painting them on daily. Why would someome do it when they have brows is puzzling.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM

302 posts, read 818,179 times
I used to have a roommate, and she and her identical twin were born without eyebrows. But they were both masters at drawing them on, because they looked very natural. I can't for the life of me understand shaving off your eyebrows to draw more on, but if you are, at least take out the time to get it right.

I recall about 4 years ago, I was living in Florida, and we had just gotten hit by a hurricane Charlie. It was the morning after, and people were venturing out to get supplies, which were scarce. The mood was somber, but there was one thing that got a laugh out of me: this young woman in Walmart who drew her eyebrows all types of WRONG! She was bleach blonde, and the eyebrows were black, spaced too far apart, and literally drawn on her face like this: / \ Yes...two diagonal lines on her face.

Never in all my days have I seen something like that, LOL

Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
Browneyedgurl, I got a laugh out of that one. That must have been some sight after all the horror of a hurricane.
I don't understand it either why someone would shave their perfectly good eyebrows off..probably has to do with vanity and that sometimes equals not making sense...
Just like lots of things people do, as long as they don't draw any eyebrows on my face, I'm good. It's probably like the blue, purple hair some ladies have... I saw one with orange hair once(and I mean orange) and laughed till I cried

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
Flamingo, I'd ask a beautician/expert for advice on how to fill them in. There's nothing worse than doing it badly, you're better to leave it alone then.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 6,985,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Any thoughts on what to do though if your eyebrows are really thinning out as you get older, and they weren't thick to begin with? I have spots/spaces w/o any hairs...
Check out some of the beauty websites and home shopping network sites to order the powder fill in kits. I've seen it done (professionally) with powder. The kits include all of the items you need, plus instructions. When people think of 'powder' they think it'll rub right off but these having staying power. Much better than drawing with a pencil if you're not good at it.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
If you have to paint them in then fine, but I see a lot of young women here in Los Angeles who are doing it. Maybe its a cultural thing because almost all I've seen who do this were hispanic/latina women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty