U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 AM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

I realize that I like to contrast things when I am choosing what to wear. Something sporty or casual with something dresser. Something edgy with something delicate. Something androgynous with something feminine. Something loud with something delicate.

I like to wear dresses with menswear inspired shoes. Or I'll wear something business formal with athleisure wrap cardigan.

Do you do something similar - intentionally choose pieces that are opposites to mix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
I wear super fancy summer sandals (gems and such) with my jeans and t-shirt.
That's about it.
Not sure if that counts. lol.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:25 AM

9,095 posts, read 3,918,635 times
^^^ This ^^^. That's about as contrasting as I will ever get. I would never wear a dress with oxford type shoes. As a matter of fact, I won't even wear a more formal type dress with flats. It just looks weird to me. When watching The Big Bang Theory wedding I was shocked that Penny wore black flats with her pink wedding dress. I know Leonard is rather short so they always have Penny in flats but when she pairs those flats with dressier clothes it just looks weird to me. Ditto for woman who wear high heels with shorts.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I wear super fancy summer sandals (gems and such) with my jeans and t-shirt.
That's about it.
Not sure if that counts. lol.
Where do you shop for your sandals? I really want a nice sparkly pair but haven't found any I like.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I realize that I like to contrast things when I am choosing what to wear. Something sporty or casual with something dresser. Something edgy with something delicate. Something androgynous with something feminine. Something loud with something delicate.

I like to wear dresses with menswear inspired shoes. Or I'll wear something business formal with athleisure wrap cardigan.

Do you do something similar - intentionally choose pieces that are opposites to mix?

I don't really do this, but I like the 'look'. I suppose I don't do it because of my age, and maybe I'm not that brave/avante guard.

There used to be a website I would visit, and play around on, where you could pick articles of clothing, shoes and accessories, to create outfits. If I remember correctly, people could vote on the looks, and sometimes, you could link the clothing or accessories to the retailers, to purchase the items.

Anyway, I liked matching up leather with lace, or vinyl and tutus, or whatever. lol

To me, it was a fun way to play "dress up" without having to actually spend the money to put an entire outfit together, including all the accessories. I don't know...kind of like playing Barbies...virtually. LOL

Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^^ This ^^^. That's about as contrasting as I will ever get. I would never wear a dress with oxford type shoes. As a matter of fact, I won't even wear a more formal type dress with flats. It just looks weird to me. When watching The Big Bang Theory wedding I was shocked that Penny wore black flats with her pink wedding dress. I know Leonard is rather short so they always have Penny in flats but when she pairs those flats with dressier clothes it just looks weird to me. Ditto for woman who wear high heels with shorts.
I have always done something a little "off" with my outfits. In high school I loved sneakers (I had sketchers and Adidas ones that were my go tos - they were the street shoes and not the running shoe type) with my dresses and skirts (and look this is trendy right now!).

I also work in the tech industry - which is casual land. And I like dressing up. One way to not seem overdressed at work, is for me to wear something dressy with something casual. This way I don't seem too formal when everyone else is in leggings and a plaid shirt (yup, not kidding - most people are wearing stuff like this). Heels would be overkill - and not so practical for walking from the bus.

Today I have a floral dress on (fit and flare shape) with flats and a draped cardigan in sweatshirt material. The shoes and the cardigan make my dress look less fancy!

And since I tend to gravitate towards girly clothing - I love dresses and abstract florals - my jewelry is edgier. Pearls, diamond studs, gemstones, etc would look just way too much. I end picking things that are geometric, with varying levels of "bold" to "quiet." Mostly metal and non-neutral colored jewelry is exceedingly rare for me.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't really do this, but I like the 'look'. I suppose I don't do it because of my age, and maybe I'm not that brave/avante guard.

There used to be a website I would visit, and play around on, where you could pick articles of clothing, shoes and accessories, to create outfits. If I remember correctly, people could vote on the looks, and sometimes, you could link the clothing or accessories to the retailers, to purchase the items.

Anyway, I liked matching up leather with lace, or vinyl and tutus, or whatever. lol

To me, it was a fun way to play "dress up" without having to actually spend the money to put an entire outfit together, including all the accessories. I don't know...kind of like playing Barbies...virtually. LOL
That sounds quite fun! There are always ideas in my head that I don't know if would make sense for me!

Tutus - these are just way too crazy for me!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,169,746 times
I like to wear my 'biker type' boots with skirts and tights

And I also love the looks of leather over a dress, lace with jeans, and all of that. Clothes can be so fun!

Old 06-15-2017, 12:23 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That sounds quite fun! There are always ideas in my head that I don't know if would make sense for me!

Tutus - these are just way too crazy for me!

tutus with a short biker style leather jacket and knee boots. :-)

If I can remember the name of the site, I'll come back here and tell you. I've been trying to rack my brain to come up with it.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,579,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Where do you shop for your sandals? I really want a nice sparkly pair but haven't found any I like.
I always find crazy little sandals at places like TJ MAXX or Ross etc. Honestly, though, most of the time I'll just look on ebay. People think they only have used stuff, but there is a lot of brand new stuff on ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty