U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,113,543 times

Advertisements

That's PBS? Yeah, I'd assume PBS goes very light on stylist and wardrobe services, due to lack of resources. The PBS hosts I have watched looked dressed blandly acceptably, no effort to look fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 PM

18,850 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It was Dress Barn for the female news anchors on NBC in Columbus, OH. I had the same question, as well. Out here in Des Moines, I see they wear a lot of the same outfits but different necklaces and different scarves.

I wish some of the men would get better tailors. I see some stylish suits but many are ill-fitting. Lester Holt is a good example. He had on a great navy blue suit not long ago but it was a tad small for him.
Lester Holt always looks well put together. The tighter fit on suits is in style now.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Lester Holt always looks well put together. The tighter fit on suits is in style now.
True, but I haven't seen that particular suit again. The gray one last night looked good.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:37 AM

34,548 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Al Roker always looks very sharp too, but I think he is probably represented by some clothing stores in NYC.

I'm not talking about guest commentators like Cokie Roberts or other women who work outside of the networks, and just appear on panels.

Who I'm specifically talking about are the women on the Fox morning shows, and then a few others during the day, like Outnumbered, etc.
They seem to dress all the same, in bright colored, skin tight sleeveless dresses, yet they never seem to repeat. They all seem to be about the same size, so maybe they rotate.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Who I'm specifically talking about are the women on the Fox morning shows, and then a few others during the day, like Outnumbered, etc.
They seem to dress all the same, in bright colored, skin tight sleeveless dresses, yet they never seem to repeat. They all seem to be about the same size, so maybe they rotate.

They have a sort of uniform style there. Dresses or suits no pattern. Solid color. You can tell they often buy the same in various colors (or provide it). I think I even read that years ago.

Except the color commentators like Judge Janine LOL. She's wild.

Sometimes a dress looks a little short in the waist or something. Like on Abby Huntsman.

Aynsley wore some patterns lately and it's horrible watching IMO - especially with the super bright background in the studio. Like loud plaid, flowers or geometric color blocked red, white, black. NO! LOL

Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 AM

489 posts, read 383,441 times
Kelly Rippa from Live with Kelly said her clothes are borrowed from stores or designers and she sends them back.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,789,322 times
Apparently when Roger Ailes was in charge of FNC, he had rules against female anchors wearing pants. Recently one of their anchor-women wore a pair of slacks on-air, and people were shocked--but it was something of a tempest in a teapot, since Ailes is no longer in charge, and I don't think it was a violation of contract or anything--just a strong request.

I'm 99% sure the personalities working out of major network hubs (NYC, DC, LA) would have some kind of agreement with clothing companies. Those in local news or smaller markets would likely get a clothing allowance as part of their job (to supplement their own shopping for wardrobe) or maybe some local store would do a 'clothes provided by..." credit. A while back there was this almost comical story about a certain dress design (sold online) that seemed to be worn by female meteorologists all over the country, worn not for its high style or anything, but because the color would not clash with the green-screen, and local stations also have clothing restrictions for women (length of hem, no cleavage, etc.). Unfortunately the newly-hired reporters rarely have any sort of allowance for clothing, so they have to blow a lot of their (low) pay on "presentable" on-air wardrobe paid for out of their own pocket.

In a different area, I recall Rue McClanahan saying that the producers of The Golden Girls allowed her to buy clothing that "Blanche" had worn on-screen earlier in the season. The clothing (much of it altered to fit her) went home with her after a season ended, so you will often see McClanahan in "Blanche" outfits at off-screen events, like a dress she wore to the Emmys one year. From one season to another, Blanche had different 'looks' while some of the outfits worn by the other three ladies could be seen across multiple seasons.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,228,287 times
When I hear "on air personality," I think of radio (and not televised radio), like my husband's job. He wears his own (nasty) clothes, but no one ever sees him LOL I don't watch newscasters, so I've no idea what goes on with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or