U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 AM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

We watch a certain news program, actually a series of them, everyday. The women never wear the same dress twice. Surely they don't have 100 dresses in their closets?
If they are provided with dresses, what happens to the dresses? Do they go back to the store or get donated or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 AM

1,317 posts, read 3,080,969 times
Gentle, I don't know what On-Air Personalities you watch -but the local newscasters in both Savannah and Charlotte repeat their dresses - and OMG both cities news teams need dressers. The Weather doodles in Savannah both (1 a 5' kinda chunky lady and the other a 5'10" athletic curvy lady) both had the same UGLY DRESS different colors.... looked like it was made from the lining of a casket....
In Charlotte the newscaster wears this UGLY green and gold dress that looks like a space age uniform - the gold outlines a "chestplate" pattern on the dress. I cringe whenever I turn on the news - waiting for white lace with black lining - looking like a 60's preacher lady. Its often distracting to me. The colors jump out in some of the dresses. **shudder**

Old 06-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Gentle, I don't know what On-Air Personalities you watch -but the local newscasters in both Savannah and Charlotte repeat their dresses - and OMG both cities news teams need dressers. The Weather doodles in Savannah both (1 a 5' kinda chunky lady and the other a 5'10" athletic curvy lady) both had the same UGLY DRESS different colors.... looked like it was made from the lining of a casket....
In Charlotte the newscaster wears this UGLY green and gold dress that looks like a space age uniform - the gold outlines a "chestplate" pattern on the dress. I cringe whenever I turn on the news - waiting for white lace with black lining - looking like a 60's preacher lady. Its often distracting to me. The colors jump out in some of the dresses. **shudder**
Oh, haha, I know what you mean. I don't mean local TV, I mean national, like the networks and Fox.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:16 AM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Ah, going off a question of mine, right?

I know something about soft national news. From disclosures on other websites, plus inside sources Yes, some of them wear their own clothes. Sometimes clothes are sponsored (possibly mentioned in the credits), in which case I guess they're eventually donated.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Ah, going off a question of mine, right?

I know something about soft national news. From disclosures on other websites, plus inside sources Yes, some of them wear their own clothes. Sometimes clothes are sponsored (possibly mentioned in the credits), in which case I guess they're eventually donated.
Thanks, I've never noticed any credits for apparel.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks, I've never noticed any credits for apparel.
It was Dress Barn for the female news anchors on NBC in Columbus, OH. I had the same question, as well. Out here in Des Moines, I see they wear a lot of the same outfits but different necklaces and different scarves.

I wish some of the men would get better tailors. I see some stylish suits but many are ill-fitting. Lester Holt is a good example. He had on a great navy blue suit not long ago but it was a tad small for him.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
While each show has its own style, the process for selecting clothing is similar across networks. James Swift, so-called "wardrobe guru" of "CBS This Morning," starts his days in the studio around 4:30 a.m. Though the show's co-hosts — King, O'Donnell and Charlie Rose — don't arrive for another hour, Swift takes that time to get his department set up so that when they do arrive, he can pay all his attention to their needs. "Most often, Gayle [King] is the first one here and she picks the color she wants to wear for that day," Swift explains. King, he says, has a stylist who goes to her house and helps put together outfits for three weeks at a time. "When Norah [O'Donnell] shows up, we already know the theme for the day; we don't want to match too much, but we want to have something that works well with [King's outfit]. Norah then works off of what Gayle pulls." From there, it's all about the last-minute details: "I steam them, press them, whatever needs to be done to make them look as good as possible."

https://fashionista.com/2015/11/morn...-anchors-style
https://www.google.com/#q=who+provid...hors+wardrobe?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:52 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Yes, that makes sense, for hosted shows from big networks. My guess is that just about all networks use stylists, but the small-time shows might let on-air personalities use a lot of their own clothing, consistent with their not having big wardrobe budgets. Someday I might be able to get an answer directly from someone involved in that, beyond the "some" that I already noted. I can think of a handful who seemed to dress similarly on and off the air, two of whose wardrobes looked small. It's likely when the personalities work off-site, they're wearing their own clothes.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,542,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We watch a certain news program, actually a series of them, everyday. The women never wear the same dress twice. Surely they don't have 100 dresses in their closets?
If they are provided with dresses, what happens to the dresses? Do they go back to the store or get donated or what?
Probably depends on how big your market is. In Des Moines, they buy their own per this clip...which is kind of interesting to watch. Comment from anchor on viewers who make negative comments about female on air personalities' outfits...

Old 06-12-2017, 05:30 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
Judy Woodruff on the news hour repeats her outfits. I remember several years ago hearing Cokie Roberts say that she bought all her own clothing and that it was expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or