U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,178,268 times

Advertisements

I like Levi's jeans, they come in petite with a wide range of styles. Be warned they do run small with their sizing. I like the fact that their petite pants are not too short, often petite pants are too short, I'm 5'2". I buy most of my other pants and capris at Talbot's. The biggest problem I run up against in finding petite pants is the wide legs. I have slim legs and it seems like most brands expect women to be "hippy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM

10,589 posts, read 18,810,461 times
I do have some Levi's I love - but of course, can't find them anymore. One pair in particular I "save" for special occasions, but haven't found them since.

It's so hard - thanks for all the suggestions. It's really hit or miss w/me some styles/brands work, then they don't.

I agree the petite length sometimes is too short even for me, but then look at regular sizing and they are WAY too long.

I'm just glad I can cut 'em off and rehem them.

I have this pair of Fetish pants (bought at Marshall's or one of those discount stores) - they fit so well, but are almost falling apart (you get what you pay for).

Old 03-15-2008, 12:07 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,107,037 times
I hear Levis are getting "hot" right now. There is a boutique in NYC that sells them.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,126,015 times
I hear ya. I either buy really cheap or expensive. I will splurge for jeans that fit ... 7 and AG have worked out for me, but I will try another after my tax refund

For cheap stuff, Target, Old Navy, Forever 21, etc. I don't know how old you are, I'm 29 and can still get by with the "younger" stuff...but I avoid the cutesy patterns and usually stick with solids ... and lots of black, gray, beige.....

Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 PM

25,558 posts, read 23,639,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Where to find pants/jeans? I have some kids 14's that I like, but anymore, they all have glitter/sequins, etc. - so I haven't had much luck lately. The regular petite lines in Macy's/Lord & Taylor (closest stores) don't usually fit (sometimes a 2 works) - I have Express Jeans but they are actually a bit short even though I am. Limited does have SOME things that fit, but not much.

I'm very short-waisted if that fits any of you gals (about 5' - 95-100 lbs.). HELP - I need some business casual clothes for work as well as nice looking things for every day. Don't even get me started on around the house clothes (sweats, etc.) - I buy kids but wouldn't want to be seen in them, would LOVE though to find sweats and legging type pants that FIT.

Appreciate any tips.

I usually find mine on Ebay.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,649,635 times
Oh I feel your girls pain,I also have a difficult time finding jeans and pants and when I do the sizes are not consistant.Like another poster stated I have from a size 1 to a size 5 in my closet.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM

730 posts, read 1,959,863 times
Try Express -they have a "short" version of most of their dress pants and jeans. If they do no have a short in the fabric/pant you want- you can purchase the regular cut and they will reimburse you for alterations if you keep your reciept.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:24 PM

14,111 posts, read 20,297,338 times
Many stores carry petites or short styles. Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, and so many more.

That said...if you find a pair you really like get a good seamstress. That is generally what I have to do!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM

156 posts, read 545,695 times
I've had this problem my whole life and still can wear some "baby jewelry" even (yikes). Growing up, had to have my mom safety pin everything! I so understand the buying girls sizes.

You know, not that this is necessarily the most practical exactly, but it could be worth looking into. When I lived in Asia I was right at home. I wonder if you googled around (and I haven't done this yet, prob'ly should) for any Japanese mail order catalogs where they could ship to the U.S. I just know that when I was there wearing fitted blouses, etc., I finally saw what stylish clothes REALLY looked like on me. I should google around for that myself.
Hope that idea helps.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 PM

10,589 posts, read 18,810,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Many stores carry petites or short styles. Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, and so many more.

That said...if you find a pair you really like get a good seamstress. That is generally what I have to do!
I've tried that route - I guess I have long legs for a short person - upper body isn't big but I'm a bit broad shouldered (a friend said that's a swimmer's body) I don't professionally swim..)

I remember sizing when a teen called "young jr. teen" or some such - don't think that it's made anymore. I think the basic problem is that all the companies have upsized their sizing, eliminating things that once fit me.

It's just sad that OLD clothes that I have that were "normal" sizes still fit but clothes now are larger...

I need new clothes, I don't want things that are trendy (wide legs, etc.) I like the lower waist fit (otherwise, they are pants that only are worn w/a top outside) - classic things: basic black, khaki, etc. pants - tops that won't go out of fashion after 1 month and don't make you look pregnant, as many do now - don't go down to halfway down my thigh... sigh - guess I have to relearn how to sew.

I used to fire up the sewing machine in the younger days (teens to '20's) and take in inseams, etc. - but I just want clothes that fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty