Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Native deodorant is the absolute best natural deodorant out there.
Haven't seen that around here. Added to my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was debating about whether this thread should be in fashion or health. Mods feel free to move.

I normally don't worry that much about chemicals, but I've noticed that my brain is a tad less foggy when I cut down on the commercial products. To test that hypothesis, I went for 5 days without using any commercial soaps, sprays, scents, and deodorant.

Then I tried using all my commercial products again for a day. I felt "foggy" and had a headache.

They are now gone.

Here's my problem: "natural" deodorants such as Tom's seem to quit after about two hours. I also tried the crystal but that didn't work at all. It was in the 90s last week, and I was setting up booths outside, so that was a good test.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a "natural" deodorant that has worked for you under extreme conditions? I'm female and unscented is fine.
For some reason, about a decade ago I started having an allergic reaction to a lot of deodorants/antiperspirants. Tom's used to be okay but just not that effective, but when they switched to their 24-hour formula, I had a reaction to that too. And as you said, most 'natural' deodorants are just not very effective.

I have finally found something that works for me - Almay Hypo-allergenic https://smile.amazon.com/Almay-Sensi...lmay+deodorant I don't know if it will suit your criteria, but it solved my allergy problem and actually works at odor control, etc.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 AM

I used to use Almay . . . it stopped working for me after I went through menopause, although I suspect they changed the formula around then.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Native deodorant is the absolute best natural deodorant out there. My sister gave me some as a gift; I had breast cancer several years ago and I had tried several but didn't like any of them. This stuff works!
I just ordered some. Their emails are hilarious. And maybe you should order just for that. :P

Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
Meemur.... I show there is a Natural Grocers in Des Moines or a suburb. It used to be called Vitamin Cottage. Their prices are lower than most other stores, especially Whole Foods. Natural Grocers carries groceries, organic produce, as well as supplements at very good prices. That is where I found my Arrowroot and essential oils, including Tea Tree.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Meemur.... I show there is a Natural Grocers in Des Moines or a suburb.
Initially, I thought it was closed, but it isn't, and I'll check it out. I think it's in Urbandale.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM

UPDATE AFTER 4 DAYS

* Schmidts (fragrance free)
* Desert Essence (Tea Tree)
*Jasons (Soft Rose)
* Kiss my Face - Cucumber green tea - "active life"

We started this test with 4 ladies. As it went along, several siblings and partners got interested, so there were 9 adults, 3 of them men.

Schmidts - It's my top choice so far. Main complaint: "Too drying" from two of the testers. Most agreed that it was long-lasting and strong, perhaps too strong for some skin. Some liked that it was unscented. Out of the other 3 products, this was the one where I wasn't thinking to myself, "X, go take a shower!" Meaning, I didn't smell my co-workers. (-:

Desert Essence - 2 of the testers called it their top choice - long lasting for them, nice scent. This product quit after about 3 hours for me and didn't last long for others. One complained that the scent seem to change over time to "charred wood" (burnt cedar?) -- Schmidts worked the best for her, as well.

Jason's (soft rose) - This product didn't work for me, plus the rose scent was a bit much, and others noticed, too "You smell like you took a bath in rose oil, Meemur!" Overall, testers ranked this product higher than Kiss My Face. 1 of the testers liked this one as well as she liked the Schmidts. A tester who said that Schmidts was too drying liked this product better for that aspect but didn't like the scent and will try another Jason's product. It was long-lasting for her.

Kiss My Face - This product had the most popular scent but had many complaints about it being "too dry" on the skin (and slightly itchy on the 2nd day). This was the 2nd longest lasting product for me -- I didn't have a problem with it being "too drying," but the testers who ranked Desert Essence #1 disliked this product a lot.

So, lots of mixed reviews. I suspect that if you need to use a heavy-duty deodorant with aluminum chlorohydrate, you'll probably have better luck with Schmidts or other "sport"/active life natural product. If you can get by with something less heavy duty, you may have greater success with products like Desert Essence.

As time permits, I'll look into some homemade recipes.

I hope this helps someone!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
My wife tried these natural products for months and ended up just going back to a big brand. She said none of them really worked nearly as good.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 AM

115 posts, read 96,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was debating about whether this thread should be in fashion or health. Mods feel free to move.

I normally don't worry that much about chemicals, but I've noticed that my brain is a tad less foggy when I cut down on the commercial products. To test that hypothesis, I went for 5 days without using any commercial soaps, sprays, scents, and deodorant.

Then I tried using all my commercial products again for a day. I felt "foggy" and had a headache.

They are now gone.

Here's my problem: "natural" deodorants such as Tom's seem to quit after about two hours. I also tried the crystal but that didn't work at all. It was in the 90s last week, and I was setting up booths outside, so that was a good test.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a "natural" deodorant that has worked for you under extreme conditions? I'm female and unscented is fine.
I really like Jason or Jason's products. I love their lavender deodorant stick.

I did pick up recently at Whole Foods a product call "pit paste" which I really like. I bought the companion spray in lavender/vanilla. Lasts forever and smells wonderful--not full of chemicals and unknowns.

I recommend them highly!

Old 07-01-2017, 09:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I ordered Nativr and tried it yesterday. It is definitely promising. Yesterday was a non strenuous day and it did last basically all day until I went to bed. Other natural ones I have tried struggle to make it to lunch. And I didn't have any problems with itching - I got the sensitive version. I will keep trying! It may not quite be 24 hours but at least 18 and that is probably good enough. It also takes a few weeks for your body chemistry to adjust sonthr overall performance could improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty