Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,387,770 times

Advertisements

I tried a couple of natural products and gave up. The worst experience was when I tried one just before I went to an outdoor party on a humid day.

I'm surprised people use products with peppermint in them, because peppermint is a skin irritant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 805,456 times
I thought I had posted, but that must have been another thread, so check around, as I know I just posted on this recently, so another thread is in I think Health & Wellness, but I like Ozone Deodorant. It only has 3 ingredients, but works the best for me. I've been wanting to try Piperwai also, which has been pretty highly rated & just came out with a stick. It does take some time for your body to get used to them. I used to use Jason Apricot, but they changed the formula & it is no longer effective for me.

BTW, I have tried probably 20 different products & including a bunch of homemade ones off Etsy. Beware if you do that, as many people are allergic (I was) to baking soda in high concentrations. Many homemade deodorants can be 25% baking soda, whereas even Arm & Hammer is only about 3%. The homemade ones can turn your underarms all red & painful. When I finally figured out what was happening, a kind Etsy seller pointed me to a number of articles about baking soda use in homemade deodorants & it became very clear what was happening to me.

https://ozonedeodorant.com/

https://www.piperwai.com/

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,303,232 times
I have had amazing luck with Schmidt's. It's hard to find, so I have to order it online. Some of the scents are HORRIBLE, but I really like the Lavender and Candella. It works BETTER than Degree, Mitchum, Secret, or any other deodorant I've ever tried. Works better at keeping away smell, but it doesn't keep me as dry. I ALWAYS have body odor with traditional/commercial deodorants, but never with Schmidt's. I'll take a tad bit of dampness if it's odor free. Truly amazing stuff.

The only downside is that you have to really let it dry or it will stain clothing, so I have to walk around shirtless for like 5 minutes. Once it's dry though, you can put black shirts on and off and NO WHITE RESIDUE. It's great!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,577,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Question---do you fill the bottle up to the top, or just some in the bottom?
I have about an inch of cider vinegar in the bottom of a plastic water bottle. Now that I've added soap to it, it is working better. The bowl method works, too. I just didn't have any glass bowl free at the time.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have had amazing luck with Schmidt's.
All three organic stores we went to had it. It's on the list, which I'll post tomorrow.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,104,877 times
I have used a crystal rock before and found it generally successful. I seem to have the problem where I use a certain kind and it's great for a while, but then my body gets used to it or something and the odor control goes down.

I can't seem to wear any of the "regular" kinds that also have an antiperspirant (aluminum) as I have gotten painful lumps in that area. When I switched to kinds without aluminum, no lumps appeared (it's a correlation I will run with unless kinds without start to give me lumps )

An apricot one by Jason has been the last one I used that was good for a while. I also used a lavender essential oil spray.

Last edited by latimeria; 06-23-2017 at 12:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,104,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This was also from the article: try adding three drops of dish soap to a bowl of vinegar, and leave it uncovered. The soap cuts the surface tension of the vinegar so the flies will sink and drown.
That's what I do for fruit flies and it works pretty well in getting a lot of them. It's also a good idea to run boiling water down your disposal as that's evidently another place they breed. Happy thoughts!

Old 06-23-2017, 05:55 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,241,777 times
I once worked with a woman who was into "everything natural" including her deodorant. I have to tell you, she stunk especially when she came near me and was wearing something sleeveless. How about you cut out all the other products from your routine but continue to wear commercial deodorants/antiperspirants that actually work. Your close friends/family would probably appreciate it. Not trying to be rude but very few people are going to ask you: "have you stopped wearing deodorant because your underarms are emitting a terrible odor"?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 AM

UPDATE

Last night several co-workers and I went to Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme (organic grocery). We decided to try these four solid deodorants, based on this forum's recommendations, some research, and what smelled decent. (An aside: I pushed for the fragrance free Schmidts).

* Schmidts (fragrance free)
* Desert Essence (Tea Tree)
*Jasons (Soft Rose)
* Kiss my Face - Cucumber green tea - "active life"

We left the containers in my hot car while we got supper so they would soften, and then I used a utility knife to cut them into roughly four pieces each, which were then wrapped in foil with a freezer label on the bottom (inside).

We all have to work outside this weekend (manning an outdoor booth for work, plus gardening, plus whatever!) So we'll see how it goes. I'll update this thread in a few days.

Last edited by Meemur; 06-23-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
How about you cut out all the other products from your routine but continue to wear commercial deodorants/antiperspirants that actually work.
It's possible I may have to go back to that. I'll see what happens with this test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty