Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

I was debating about whether this thread should be in fashion or health. Mods feel free to move.

I normally don't worry that much about chemicals, but I've noticed that my brain is a tad less foggy when I cut down on the commercial products. To test that hypothesis, I went for 5 days without using any commercial soaps, sprays, scents, and deodorant.

Then I tried using all my commercial products again for a day. I felt "foggy" and had a headache.

They are now gone.

Here's my problem: "natural" deodorants such as Tom's seem to quit after about two hours. I also tried the crystal but that didn't work at all. It was in the 90s last week, and I was setting up booths outside, so that was a good test.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a "natural" deodorant that has worked for you under extreme conditions? I'm female and unscented is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times
Coconut oil. A small amount rubbed into my underarms. Under extreme conditions I add talcum powder, and that keeps me fresh all day.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Maybe Schmidt will work for you? I find the ones with coconut oil and baking soda work well. But your mileage may vary - they irritate my skin but keep you fresh. You could also make your own with coconut oil, baking soda and there are other recipes.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
I don't like wearing deodorant either, and only wore the natural kind for years. But it seemed like it was always a struggle, trying not to sweat and stink, because if something makes me nervous or stressed out...well then I'll stink for the rest of the day (and stress sweat is worse), and then have to go wash my clothes, and wash my pits in the sink to freshen up...lol. So I started wearing the regular kind, just to not have to worry about it. But I prefer being natural, and feel better when I wear the natural kind, or nothing. Plus it's easier to "freshen up", as the regular kind is hard to wash off.

Anyway, if you're talking about "natural"...well I think they're all gonna be about the same, because they don't actually stop you from sweating. I don't know if there's a "natural" antiperspirant, but when I do use that kind, I have the arm & hammer unscented one...they also had a clear 'unscented' one (thought it had a nice light scent), that I used to wear. As for the "natural" ones, I tend to get anything that's cheap and smells nice. I have one by Desert Essence - Spring Fresh, that smells and feels nice.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM

I really appreciate your comments and have rep'd everyone who replied so far.

The coconut oil sounds promising, as does the Desert Essence. I'll look for those.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM

554 posts, read 623,017 times
Try Piperwai

Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
A question ...

Are you looking for a product to stop you from sweating, or a product to stop you from smelling?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but a lot of people believe that deodorant is supposed to stop sweating.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A question ...

Are you looking for a product to stop you from sweating, or a product to stop you from smelling?

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but a lot of people believe that deodorant is supposed to stop sweating.
No problem! I'm trying to control the stink. I know that I can't do anything about the sweating, and I carry an extra shirt in my tote bag for situations like last week where I was working outside and then returning to the office.

A co-worker complained that we were all smelling pretty bad. I took that to heart because I know two of us are using natural deodorants. I suspect with more experimentation, I can find something that works better with my body chemistry.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Try Piperwai
I'll look for that, too. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
No problem! I'm trying to control the stink. I know that I can't do anything about the sweating, and I carry an extra shirt in my tote bag for situations like last week where I was working outside and then returning to the office.
If possible, if there's a private bathroom and I have time, I'll just wash my pits in the sink, then put on a fresh layer of deodorant. That's why I like tanktops/shirts with low armholes, so you don't get them all stinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty