Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:02 PM

102,072 posts, read 107,036,480 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing much of the drab colors you describe, on those links. I see bright orange/reddish, bright greens and blues, as well as black and white. I also see the shapeless aspect you mention. I think we can blame designer Eileen Fisher for popularizing that. Also, I'm surprised that Grana favors silk. It fades in the sun, so it's not a good choice. Keep looking for more companies.

Here's one with more style variety, that draws from sources around the world. They even occasionally have bright African prints.
https://www.fairtradewinds.net/cloth...arves/dresses/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-03-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:01 PM

251 posts, read 244,448 times
Ruth,

I understand your plight in looking for eco friendly clothes that aren't out of the budget and aren't all boxy and oatmeal colored!

Have you seen globalgirlfriend.com? They have color!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,645,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I have an aspiration to get more ethically produced and sustainable products. I have been trading up other categories - household cleaning products, food to date. But clothing has been pretty difficult.

I keep hearing about new brands popping up, and I look at the selection. In addition to being limited in sizes, they are so minimalist or boho.

Case in point:
Everlane
Grana

Look - almost everything is grey, navy, white, off-white or maybe black. Or earth tones. Most clothing is shapeless and unflattering. And just super basic - not even interesting basics.

I am finding the same in the local stores too: Amour Vert comes to mind.

Where is the bright color? How about patterns? Why is this stuff so boring? Do people who want to get sustainably sourced stuff have to be aspiring minimalist?

This makes me not want to do it. I'd love to get better made stuff, but sheesh I don't want to be a super minimalist.

I did find one brand that has some potential, but not for a whole wardrobe. Les Lunes at least has more interesting shapes and detailing.
https://leslunes.com

Have any options that aren't so boring? Are you also looking more sustainable clothing?
Most bright dyes are synthetic, toxic, and generally do not fit the ethically produced paradigm.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,723,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Most bright dyes are synthetic, toxic, and generally do not fit the ethically produced paradigm.
I can't imagine there are not some natural alternatives for some colors. I mean beets, cranberries, wine and blueberries seem to do a good job o staining clothing!

I'd be willing to pick up my default neutrals, but so many terrible shapes. The choices are boring, shapeless or hippie.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,645,194 times
Quote:
I can't imagine there are not some natural alternatives for some colors. I mean beets, cranberries, wine and blueberries seem to do a good job o staining clothing!

I'd be willing to pick up my default neutrals, but so many terrible shapes. The choices are boring, shapeless or hippie.
Just FYI, cloth is almost always dyed before it is made into clothes so it is a function of getting cloth made for a very niche market. Additionally, almost all organic dyes, are not truly color fast unless you wash them in something that sets in every wash like, vinegar. And almost none of it will be colorfast in sunlight.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 AM

16,351 posts, read 12,329,286 times
I just stumbled upon prAna. You might want to check out their website, OP.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:34 PM

1,517 posts, read 978,926 times
Quote:
All this eco ssustanable mumbo jombo with eco friendly colors is just niche marketing with the same "innocent is me" colors and layout. Never in your face, for no good reason. As if testosterone and excitment doesnt exist.

^ That. Consider the target market. The majority of people who would buy these clothes have the personality of mayonnaise on white bread, or something close thereto, therefore the market is shaped around them. It's just business sense.

Not much you can do about the shape/cut unless you go to a seamstress, but nothing says you can't buy a bottle of Rit and dye them yourself.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,946,221 times
Quote:
You can make a basic that is still a little interesting. I definitely see it at super premium prices. And cheap,prices. But not in this area - things are ultra plain and dull.

I think that buying in department stores used to mean higher quality stuff, but not so much anymore. Lots of crap at all price points. And most stuff is polyester.

For example, a few years ago,I got some awesome skirts from Michael Kors brand. I lost weight and they no longer fit. And I went to the store to replace them, but the fabric was half as thick and they were no,longer lines. The list price was also more expensive.

I'd love a great fitting neutral silk blouse and I am willing to invest. But everything I have seen is either shapeless or super thin. Quality clothes are hard to find now in more accessible prices. I am sure for $400 I might find something, but that is too pricey for me.

You know...I wonder if these clothes look so plain because they don't use particular dyes...maybe? Like...maybe the chemical process wouldn't be eco-friendly? I really have no idea...

My sister has a friend who raises alpalcas. One day, this friend knitted my sister a scarf from the alpalca yarn. Well...my sister didn't care for the scarf, so she gave it to me. I didn't want to be rude to my sister...but it's not pretty. It's just kind of a dirty white. No dyes used.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:55 AM

455 posts, read 595,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
^ That. Consider the target market. The majority of people who would buy these clothes have the personality of mayonnaise on white bread, or something close thereto, therefore the market is shaped around them. It's just business sense.
<spits out coffee> Probably drives a Subaru Forester also.

(I make fun because I'm also a Subaru driver, liberal and trans. The stereotype exists for a reason )

Old 10-24-2018, 11:54 AM

15,967 posts, read 20,942,819 times
I wonder if the clothing in the first link seems to be more shapeless because they are photographed on real looking women instead of models with great figures and proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty