Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:28 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Or becsuse it was their personal preference.... Just like yours is to wear longer socks.

I guess it could be asked of you, what do you have against low cut socks?

Drafty ankles, in my case. Like I said, I do wear low cuts or no-shows, but during only the very hottest months of the year. But for me that's a comfort issue, not one of looks - which I suspect is what's behind the low-cut shift of the past decade or so, for most wearers, male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 12:48 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Actually, I see the opposite. Younger men are now wearing higher socks,
at least with shorts. I remember 16 years ago my football coach (he
was old school) having to make it clear that we needed to wear calf
length socks with our uniforms. Most athletic socks were ankle high
at the tallest. None of my friends would wear visible socks through
college. I went out to a bar with a fair amount of college age kids,
and all the guys had short khaki shorts, and socks to mid calf.

Mid-calf is still within the realm of 'normal' socks to me.

Broadly, I think the whole low-cut, no-show sock trend is an evolution in hosiery design to cover only that part of the human foot that perspires the most. Which means it is partly an aesthetic trend.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:34 PM

213 posts, read 131,976 times
Flashy multi-colored pants. Hype-beast clothing like Supreme and other plain over-priced clothes that dudes just wear for the name brand.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have never seen a man wear no show socks with oxfords and a suit, or even dressy slacks, at a prestigious law firm or other professional environment - I work in a hospital and male docs and administration mostly wear slacks with oxfords or dressy loafers and socks. Business casual with casual loafers maybe but not oxfords.

If you are seeing that, it means you are seeing people with very questionable taste driving it.
The only men I ever see wearing ankle or no-show socks with lace-up dress shoes and a suit or slacks/dress shirt/tie are kids just out of college who don't know any better, working for places like Enterprise car rental, etc.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I am so glad that low cut and no show socks are around because I can't stand to wear any sock past my ankle even in winter.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:34 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Mid-calf is still within the realm of 'normal' socks to me.

Broadly, I think the whole low-cut, no-show sock trend is an evolution in hosiery design to cover only that part of the human foot that perspires the most. Which means it is partly an aesthetic trend.
Three years to respond to post, that must be some kind of record for C-D!
My son has worn quarter socks with his athletic shoes since middle school at least, so... close on twenty years now. He does not like the feeling of socks on his calves, especially as it seems like the elastic is always too tight, or so loose that the socks don't reliably stay up. If he has to wear longer socks he wears the thin men's dress socks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty