Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:45 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times

Advertisements

5' 3" here and I have always found petite too short, and regular length to long (about an inch either way).
Now I'm fat (temporarily I hope!) so tops and bras have been a challenge since I now have a bust I don't know how people do it and look good. I have seen a lot of short women who look great on the plus size. I just can't seem to get the hang of it, I feel dumpy no matter what I do.
I have always liked loose clothes, but those now make me look huge. I still wear them for my comfort zone, but I don't feel at all attractive in anything. Stretch pants are great at home, and a huge tshirt and giant sports bras lol.
When I have to go out I have flowy tops (tunics/ dresses) over stretch pants, at least it is comfortable.
When I am not fat I prefer straight leg jeans, the tighter at the ankle the better so it doesn't matter how long they are, though relaxed fot otherwise.
Also, mid rise (I have a somewhat high waist, so mid rise is more comfortable - and I think looks better than high or low rise). Tops are usually anything I like,
But usually not too long, not past crotch length - oh my there has to be a better way to refer to that length! I just don't like mid thigh length.
Can't stand capris, I feel like they make me look stubby. I never wear, or buy them. If I have to have shorts I usually have them just above the knee. But I'd rather wear a tshirt dress than shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:53 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I think pants in general have gotten more complicated since the style is to wear them cropped and rolled up above booties. I have no idea what my inseam is supposed to be anymore.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Do you struggle more with finding casual dresses or leggings, that flatter your figure?

By leggings, I don't mean fitness leggings. I mean leggings that are thick enough to be worn as casual pants or with a long, flowy top.
I think of petite as 5'2" or less. 5'4" is actually slighter TALLER than the average American woman.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Petite sizes refers to how the clothes are cut, not how small a woman really is. The guidelines for this department have been up to 5'4" as long as I can remember, others' definitions of petite aside.

This article suggests you can be even taller and still have short enough legs or torso to prefer petite clothes.

The TRUTH About Petite Sizing: 4'11'' to 5'7'' You Could Still Be Petite-The 16th BarThe 16th Bar

So I'm petite on bottom and regular size on top. That sounds funny.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I'm 5'1" and have had a lot of luck lately with Chico's. I can wear their regular pants because these days most pants seem to be ankle length and I have long legs and a short torso. When it comes to tops I buy petite so the arms, length and armholes aren't too big. I sometimes luck out at Talbot's but it's hard to find clothes in there that don't scream 80 year old woman.

There are a lot of hints for dressing well as a petite. Dress head to toe in the same color to look taller; match your shoes to your pants, if you're doing a loose top then wear something more fitted on the bottom and vice versa. You don't want a baggy top AND a baggy bottom, it will just make you look heavy & frumpy.

I prefer classic clothes. I might buy one piece each season that is something "trendy" but since I am 62 I want to look more put together than fashion forward. That doesn't mean I want to look matronly. I dress in clothes that suit my body type, age and lifestyle.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
I'm 5'1" and petite pants are a must! Tops however are an entirely different story. I can only wear petite tops if they are a tunic type top. I have small to extra large tops in my closet and they all fit. It's all about where a top hits my bust. If it's too tight in the bust quite often the next size up is too large and low in the neckline plus the sleeves will go past my fingertips. If I find a top that fits well I often purchase multiple colors and prints.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I'm 5'1" and petite pants are a must! Tops however are an entirely different story. I can only wear petite tops if they are a tunic type top. I have small to extra large tops in my closet and they all fit. It's all about where a top hits my bust. If it's too tight in the bust quite often the next size up is too large and low in the neckline plus the sleeves will go past my fingertips. If I find a top that fits well I often purchase multiple colors and prints.
Ugh...I struggle with this too having huge boobs as well lol. all my tops shoulder seams hang down from my shoulders, not at my shoulders the way it should. they just don't design tops with narrow enough shoulders and enough room for boobs too.

As for the 5"4' being petite or not. I think it depends on the country. In America, 5'4" is petite...I'm at the upper end of petite and "petite" sizes still don't fit me properly..even when my weight is at the higher end (it fluctuates up to 20 lbs in any given year). Everyone is different though. I just have a very narrow waist and narrow shoulders and wide hips. Even at 105 lbs, my hips were 35 1/2 or so inches. Most women my height and that weight, would be at a 33-34 inch hip.

That said, in South America and Asia, I'm sure I would be tall lol. In Europe and middle east, I'm average height. it really depends where you go. Of course anywhere in the world, 5'0" and under is petite. that's just a no brainer.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
5' 3" here and I have always found petite too short, and regular length to long (about an inch either way).
Now I'm fat (temporarily I hope!) so tops and bras have been a challenge since I now have a bust I don't know how people do it and look good. I have seen a lot of short women who look great on the plus size. I just can't seem to get the hang of it, I feel dumpy no matter what I do.
I have always liked loose clothes, but those now make me look huge. I still wear them for my comfort zone, but I don't feel at all attractive in anything. Stretch pants are great at home, and a huge tshirt and giant sports bras lol.
When I have to go out I have flowy tops (tunics/ dresses) over stretch pants, at least it is comfortable.
Do you have a well fitting bra? That's number one. The right bra makes you look slimmer and your waist loooks smaller (a sports bra is not it).

Old 07-04-2017, 11:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I'm 5'1" and I don't really think it causes too much of a problem aside from the fact that I have to buy petite pants. To be honest, I buy a lot of my clothes from the juniors department because it's cheaper.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:04 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm 5'1" and I don't really think it causes too much of a problem aside from the fact that I have to buy petite pants. To be honest, I buy a lot of my clothes from the juniors department because it's cheaper.

haha!! I do the same! I look super young for my age anyways so it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty