Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
haha!! I do the same! I look super young for my age anyways so it doesn't matter.
I like to think that I look young for my age but I don't know. I took two photos the other day and submitted them to https://how-old.net/ and on the one where I was smiling, it said I look 25 and then on the one where I wasn't smiling, it said I look 37. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I'm 5'3" and my major clothing/accessory headaches:

1)Shirts, shirts, shirts! T-shirts and casual shirts are always way too long and even some of the petite sizes are cut long. I despise buying shirts...

2) Shoes-I wear a 6AA and every shoe store seems to have multiple rows of size 8s & 9s and one 2-foot section of size 6 shoes. Is a size 6 shoe that rare or something?

3) Pants-I have trouble with dress pants since I am short-waisted and large-busted, lol. I get around this by buying lower waisted dress pants and wearing a top that doesn't need to be tucked in .

4) Bracelets-I love them but none of them will stay on my wrist My wrist measures 4.75" in circumference and most bracelets assume 7"...

Old 07-04-2017, 03:42 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I agree about the shirts being too long - all the shirts I find now are so long they are mid-thigh length or longer - I'm trying to find tops that hit about hipbone length - no luck

I'm a size 6 shoe also - I think that's a popular size so they go fast.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
I dont know if I would be considered petite myself @5'6" 118 lbs BUT I am the mom of one , She is 5'2, 16 years old , and weighs in at 109. She was a BIG baby at 10 lbs and I think somedays that was most of her growth !

Back in May , I ( along with she and my husband ) searched an entire mall here in Seattle , to fine the perfect non black( young mans mom requested this ) prom dress for her sz 0 petite frame .. I did it . One gorgeous, sparkling, cotton candy pink, strapless, prom dress for my otherwise goth girl with raven blue/black hair and teeny sz 6 feet to boot .
It was not easy but she looked like Elizabeth Taylor at the same age when we were done ...YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!
She is our youngest so this was my last time .

I don't have the answer but I sure feel your pain.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Petite sizes refers to how the clothes are cut, not how small a woman really is. The guidelines for this department have been up to 5'4" as long as I can remember, others' definitions of petite aside.

This article suggests you can be even taller and still have short enough legs or torso to prefer petite clothes.

The TRUTH About Petite Sizing: 4'11'' to 5'7'' You Could Still Be Petite-The 16th BarThe 16th Bar

So I'm petite on bottom and regular size on top. That sounds funny.
This post has hit upon one of my pet peeves. I am 5'0". I don't consider 5'4" to be petite, at least length wise. Sure, someone 5'4" can be built small in proportions (tiny waist, narrow shoulders, etc), but it drives me crazy that I have to hem most petites quite a lot. Seems to me, every time I shop in Petites there are other customers who are at least 5'6", yet these things still fit many of them.

I need to be independently wealthy and have all my clothes custom made LOL. (Not in this lifetime, sadly)

Old 07-04-2017, 07:02 PM

32 posts, read 32,744 times
I haven't really had an issue, I like Ann Taylor and Gap and their petite sizes fit me very well for dresses and leggings, as well as shirts and regular pants. I am a PS 2/4. It really depends on the brand, some petites fit perfectly but others I still have to get altered, mostly pants...I haven't altered shirts much, I don't buy if the arms are too long but sometimes, depending on the shirt, I can just roll up the sleeves and thus will do that. I also still buy a lot of junior clothes, but a lot of Forever 21 is not really work appropriate soooo...

Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM

473 posts, read 502,097 times
I never thought the height was a challenge - I never got into the tight stuff wardrobe due to my weight. Is just not flattering...I only wore leggings as workout pants due to my age. I moved into 'too old to care' now that past 40 yo and just wear 'appropriate' clothing for occasion which just isn't that fitted anyway due to weight. I get good job offers immediately...My first employers were really picky about wardrobe anyway so never though tight stuff look was appropriate anyway.

I do like the long skirts to 1/2 calf, covers up the short legs that don't 'go on forever'...I like to wear heal or wedge anyway, is more comfortable on my high foot arches anyway.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post

As for the 5"4' being petite or not. I think it depends on the country. In America, 5'4" is petite...I'm at the upper end of petite and "petite" sizes still don't fit me properly..even when my weight is at the higher end (it fluctuates up to 20 lbs in any given year). Everyone is different though. I just have a very narrow waist and narrow shoulders and wide hips. Even at 105 lbs, my hips were 35 1/2 or so inches. Most women my height and that weight, would be at a 33-34 inch hip.

Considering the average height of a women in America is about 5'4", is that really considered petite?

I do think that someone 5'4" with a longer torso may fit into a petite size better, yes. But most people I know who are 5'4" wear regular pants rather than petite size.

I think most people don't realize that most people don't fit into clothes perfectly and have trouble in some way.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Pants never fit. Never. Ever. 5'3" tall. Size 12/14 dresses fit fine as long as they are not super long styles.

Pants are a different story entirely. Regular size 14/16 or plus size 12/14. Being the largest regular sizes or smallest plus sizes seems to mean stores get very little in my size. There always seem to be plenty of pants is sizes 8-12 and 18W-22W but very little in my size. If I can find pants that fit my legs and also my waist without being too long in the crotch I buy them no matter the length. I can always have them hemmed. Petites usually fit in the length.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Did any of you watch "What Not to Wear" when it was on TV? The hosts would always people to make friends with a good tailor if you want your clothes to fit well. Have you ever tried on a dress in, let's say a size 10 and it was too big, then you tried on the same dress in an 8 and it was too tight. The solution according to Stacy & Clinton (the hosts) was to buy the bigger dress and have it altered. Naturally you don't want to spend $20 to alter a $30 dress unless you love it but if a pair of pants fits perfectly except the length, have them hemmed. It's not that expensive or take a simple sewing class. I can take a hem up as long as it doesn't need to be cut because it's really long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty