Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

Do you struggle more with finding casual dresses or leggings, that flatter your figure?

By leggings, I don't mean fitness leggings. I mean leggings that are thick enough to be worn as casual pants or with a long, flowy top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:17 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I don't have a problem with leggings. I have no torso so my legs are long. I have been getting plain workout leggings lately since they tend to be thick but I pretty much only do black leggings.

I struggle with fit because I am busty, curvy and size 16. So I wear dresses since they tend to fit the best (and I like them).

Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I have the most difficulty finding dresses UNLESS they are stretchy material. Casual dresses, which I don't wear a lot, are actually easier because many are intended to be shorter than I wear mine.

Over the past few months I've been looking for a more formal, long dress for my daughter's wedding. It's been impossible to find what I want, even with alterations, so I'm having a dress made by a local dress maker.

I generally don't wear tunics. I guess because so many are just too long. Pants are easily altered. Don't know about leggings--don't wear them any longer.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Dresses. They can always be hemmed, but most of the time the torso is too long and it just doesn't hang right.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Dresses. They can always be hemmed, but most of the time the torso is too long and it just doesn't hang right.
Yeah, I do love dresses, but I'm short-waisted, so a lot of the time, even with a petite dress, where the dress wants my waist to be is not where my waist is. And I'm not one of those people who can get away without that waist definition.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, I do love dresses, but I'm short-waisted, so a lot of the time, even with a petite dress, where the dress wants my waist to be is not where my waist is. And I'm not one of those people who can get away without that waist definition.
This is the plus for being busty. I am also short waisted, but my breasts make up for my short torso and the waist can hit me in the right spot and is sometimes too high.

I have also come around to looks with less waist definition - provided it fits well in the torso and shoulders, and only when paired with a slim bottom. Loose everywhere us not flattering for my shape.

My go tos are fit and flare or sheath dresses, but I am finding a shorter swing dress can be cute.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Tops are always a struggle. With my short torso even though I am thin and in good shape, I look dumpy in tunics or loose tops.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:25 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
I deal with a lot of the same struggles. So thank you for all the feedback!

I'm trying to figure out a side gig in fashion styling. Wanted to know what the biggest struggles for women of my body stature deal with. Looks like we struggle with similar things.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
I have no problem with leggings. They are the right length.

I have a problem with jeans that are too long.

I have a huge problem with formal dresses. With heels, I'm 5'5" and the end still pools on the floor!!! That's when I hate being 5'2". Drives me nuts. I wore a dress like that and I never brought it to the tailor. When I walked, I just picked up the end of the dress so I won't step on and trip over it.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I have an apple shape and no waist, so try to find swing dresses that hang from the right point above the waist and are not too young. Petites are necessary because of that ratio thing - you don't want the waist indent in the wrong place nor the hip excess and I am very petite in height so they are all still too long. Pants are almost impossible unless I stick with forgiving knits and I also have to shorten all the petite pants there are because they run inches too long for me. And they are also still considered a "specialty" line and cost too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty