Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,678,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
I've been very frustrated with current shirt offerings in stores. Everything is baggy and billowy. What happened to nice, slim fitted tops for ladies??

Let me preface this by saying: I do not like shopping. Or spending a lot of money. I usually find something I like that fits, buy it in every color, and wear it until it doesn't look nice anymore. My favorite tops in my closet are from early-mid 2000's and I'd like to add some more items but I CANNOT find anything that doesn't swallow me whole. I'm slender, so I prefer tops that fit me close.

Anyone else having these problems? Where can I find fitted tops? My usual shops are Kohls, Loft, JCPenney. Maybe that's my problem. Loft used to be great for my figure but now everything is way too big, even the xxs. I went to GAP and not a single top touched my stomach.

Thank you for the help!
Not seeing this problem at all. The issue may more likely be the stores you are shopping in don't cater to your body type. If you are that slender consider shopping in stores that cater to teenagers. I know I have had several freinds that even as adults would buy stuff from the teen or even kids sections at times to get the fit that worked better for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,254,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Retailers are catering to the land whales. Of which there are many.

Take a top that fits you well, bring with something new you like but doesn't fit, and go to a dry cleaner alterations person. They are much cheaper than a tailor. If you drop off several pieces that you want sized like your "oldie", they will zip them all up the same. Result will be very professional. Wash the new ones first, in case of shrinkage.
LOL - Rude but true. That was my first thought when I read the OP.

Quote:
I took a quick snap of what I'm wearing today. I work at home so can dress casually like this but I am looking for nicer tops with this type of fit for when I go in the office, church, whatever. . If anyone with the same body type knows where to find clothes to fit, I would love to hear! I'm going to check out goodwill and some other thrift stores near me.
Attachment 187080

I have tops like the type that you describe in my closet - I found them all at thrift stores, or stores like Ross/ TJ Maxx/ Marshalls. Just make sure to go to ones in nicer areas.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 AM

473 posts, read 757,852 times
Quote:
I've been very frustrated with current shirt offerings in stores. Everything is baggy and billowy. What happened to nice, slim fitted tops for ladies??

Let me preface this by saying: I do not like shopping. Or spending a lot of money. I usually find something I like that fits, buy it in every color, and wear it until it doesn't look nice anymore. My favorite tops in my closet are from early-mid 2000's and I'd like to add some more items but I CANNOT find anything that doesn't swallow me whole. I'm slender, so I prefer tops that fit me close.

Anyone else having these problems? Where can I find fitted tops? My usual shops are Kohls, Loft, JCPenney. Maybe that's my problem. Loft used to be great for my figure but now everything is way too big, even the xxs. I went to GAP and not a single top touched my stomach.

Thank you for the help!
Susanah, have you looked at the INC brand at Macy's? INC usually carries form-fitting tops.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:18 AM

102,072 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Not seeing this problem at all. The issue may more likely be the stores you are shopping in don't cater to your body type. If you are that slender consider shopping in stores that cater to teenagers. I know I have had several freinds that even as adults would buy stuff from the teen or even kids sections at times to get the fit that worked better for them.
I agree with this. Somehow, I've missed out on this trend. I think the OP needs to shop around some more. Also try the on-sale sections of better stores. Chico's has tailored blouses/shirts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha;
Susanah, have you looked at the INC brand at Macy's? INC usually carries form-fitting tops.
This is a good place to start, and Macy's has frequent sales. INC stands for International Concepts. It's a good line. Macy's has a couple of in-house brands that are good.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-09-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
Finding form fitting anything is difficult for my wife. It is either super long like for a 6'4" woman, or it is way too baggy. Jeans forget it, all high waist or those gawdy skinny ones.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,309,994 times
Skinny jeans ARE form-fitting.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Skinny jeans ARE form-fitting.
She is meaning form fitting but without the skinny part all the way to the ankle. She has to buy her jeans overseas in order to find some that are low waist, form fitting, but not skinny jeans, they sort of either go straight or flare out a bit.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,725,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She is meaning form fitting but without the skinny part all the way to the ankle. She has to buy her jeans overseas in order to find some that are low waist, form fitting, but not skinny jeans, they sort of either go straight or flare out a bit.
Really? Because I regularly see a few options at Gap / Old Navy - boot cuts or what have you. Unless she has thighs that are smaller than the typical pattern for her thighs.

I don't know how they fit - I am not the best gauge for thigh fit. All jeans are form fitting on my legs - so I decided to just stick with ones that are intentionally so.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 PM

102,072 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Macy's online has straight leg jeans, and a few bootcut selections. Bootcut are almost everywhere. Look around online; most catalogs have them.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:48 AM

98 posts, read 164,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I always shop in the teens/juniors department and pick what is most tasteful. Even the juniors offering at Kohl's and JCP aren't cutting it right now.

Yeah I did try shopping at adult stores and adult sections when I first actually entered adulthood and realized I had to head back to the juniors section, lol. I still haven't left and I'm 32.

Loft petite used to work well for me 10 years ago but now everything is so loose. No matter what I try on it looks like a bag of potatoes. I have store credit in my wallet for 5 years I haven't been able to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty