Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM

98 posts, read 165,464 times

Advertisements

I've been very frustrated with current shirt offerings in stores. Everything is baggy and billowy. What happened to nice, slim fitted tops for ladies??

Let me preface this by saying: I do not like shopping. Or spending a lot of money. I usually find something I like that fits, buy it in every color, and wear it until it doesn't look nice anymore. My favorite tops in my closet are from early-mid 2000's and I'd like to add some more items but I CANNOT find anything that doesn't swallow me whole. I'm slender, so I prefer tops that fit me close.

Anyone else having these problems? Where can I find fitted tops? My usual shops are Kohls, Loft, JCPenney. Maybe that's my problem. Loft used to be great for my figure but now everything is way too big, even the xxs. I went to GAP and not a single top touched my stomach.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:18 AM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
I haven't seen that in the stores, OP. Try Macy's. You can cruise through, identify some items of interest, then wait until one of their sales (they have them once/week, but they have bigger markdowns roughly once/month) to get what you want at a better price. Also try Nordstrom's online, if there's not a store near you. Check out their sale items.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,198,606 times
I noticed the same thing when I did some summer clothes shopping: billowy tops and cut-out shoulders, neither of which I can pull off.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM

375 posts, read 317,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
I've been very frustrated with current shirt offerings in stores. Everything is baggy and billowy. What happened to nice, slim fitted tops for ladies??

Let me preface this by saying: I do not like shopping. Or spending a lot of money. I usually find something I like that fits, buy it in every color, and wear it until it doesn't look nice anymore. My favorite tops in my closet are from early-mid 2000's and I'd like to add some more items but I CANNOT find anything that doesn't swallow me whole. I'm slender, so I prefer tops that fit me close.

Anyone else having these problems? Where can I find fitted tops? My usual shops are Kohls, Loft, JCPenney. Maybe that's my problem. Loft used to be great for my figure but now everything is way too big, even the xxs. I went to GAP and not a single top touched my stomach.

Thank you for the help!
I've had good luck finding longer fitted tops at Eddie Bauer. I too will find something I like and buy all colors.

I still have a stash of EB tshirts I bought several years ago and haven't worn yet.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I noticed the same thing when I did some summer clothes shopping: billowy tops and cut-out shoulders, neither of which I can pull off.
This season is super 70s and hippie. Nothing is fitted or tailored. I don't mind a low top if it has nice drape. But most of the stuff this year is horrible. It looks cute on no one.

No basic fitted t-shirts either - just when I need one.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:16 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,980,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post

Thank you for the help!

.........and everything is too long.......way down to your crotch.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:30 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,059,735 times
I have noticed that, too. I am slim, but I have a bigger chest so when I wear tops like that I end up looking boxy or like I am in a maternity shirt.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 6,442,838 times
Ebay. Find a brand you like and then look. I found the pajama brand I wanted......bought one cute pair used (like new) and a pop-up ad for that brand came up from a store I never heard of and I bought 2 nighties from the same maker. First came up at $40.00/ea, NO WAY. When I held my ground, amazingly they went on sale for.........$16.00/ea. I bought 2 and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,660,047 times
Do you mean a spandex top? I am rather busty so if a regular t shirt was close to my midriff it would be super tight across my bust. Only shirts I have had that fit top and midriff tend to be very constructed with darts and typically either button down the front or one or two in the back.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,243,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
.........and everything is too long.......way down to your crotch.
The long stuff is made to cover your butt when you wear leggings. Short tops go with regular jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty