Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said that the more expensive clothing will be different in sizing - in order to make the customer think they're slimmer. For example, if you normally wear a size 10 in less expensive clothing, you'd wear a size 8 if you shop at a high end store.

I don't shop at the higher end stores so I don't know if that's true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I've heard it said that the more expensive clothing will be different in sizing - in order to make the customer think they're slimmer. For example, if you normally wear a size 10 in less expensive clothing, you'd wear a size 8 if you shop at a high end store.

Katie - lol! maybe you're on to something.

The problem I have with the sizing is that when you look at the size chart, someone someone who has a 28" waist and 36.5 hips should be able to comfortably fit into a size 8, which supposedly fits a 28.5" waist and 38" hips. This skirt I tried on in a size 8, while the zipper closed I did not like how it fit. It was tight in the hip region and just didn't fit like how I like my clothes to fit. The size 10 fit very well with a little bit of room in the waist, but not much. A size 10, meanwhile, is supposed to fit someone with a 30.5" waist and 39" hips. Someone who has a 30.5" waist will NOT be able to fit into that skirt, it's cut so small. Then I try on another pencil skirt in a size 8 that fit great. That was my beef...that the size chart is useless and at the end of the day clothes shopping in fast fashion stores like H&M will always be a PITA. I hate trying on clothes. I'd love to just say "I'm a size 10" and just grab a size 10 and for the most part it fits.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Katie - lol! maybe you're on to something.

The problem I have with the sizing is that when you look at the size chart, someone someone who has a 28" waist and 36.5 hips should be able to comfortably fit into a size 8, which supposedly fits a 28.5" waist and 38" hips. This skirt I tried on in a size 8, while the zipper closed I did not like how it fit. It was tight in the hip region and just didn't fit like how I like my clothes to fit. The size 10 fit very well with a little bit of room in the waist, but not much. A size 10, meanwhile, is supposed to fit someone with a 30.5" waist and 39" hips. Someone who has a 30.5" waist will NOT be able to fit into that skirt, it's cut so small. Then I try on another pencil skirt in a size 8 that fit great. That was my beef...that the size chart is useless and at the end of the day clothes shopping in fast fashion stores like H&M will always be a PITA. I hate trying on clothes. I'd love to just say "I'm a size 10" and just grab a size 10 and for the most part it fits.
One problem with the clothing, especially at mass market places, is how they are cut. The cut giant stacks of fabric, and things at the top will run smaller, things at the bottom will run bigger. You know how you cut a huge stack of paper and halfway through the pages shift some? The fabric cutting process is similar and they have pretty high tolerance.

Also some colors fit differently. Apparently black dye shrinks more than other dye after washing and processing.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:27 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

It's true and it's called "vanity sizing". A lot of the high end stores do it. Maybe it has something to do with where they are made?

Old 07-07-2017, 05:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
China?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty