Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 08:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,211,757 times

Advertisements

home | Banana Republic

https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/coll...ts/onyx-loafer

Am I looking for comfortable shoes to wear with a shirt and tie. Are loafers fine? I find boat shoes very comfortable, are they fine to wear with a shirt and tie as well?

Lastly, can I wear black shoes and a brown swede backpack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,456,672 times
I have a pair of light blue Crocs that look like canvas boat shoes and are very comfortable.
As for the shoe and back back match, hardly even a first world problem.
"Ah, little one, the word you seek is suede"

Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 AM

16,342 posts, read 12,294,256 times
Nice loafers are fine with shirt and tie. Boat shoes ... not so much.

Yes, black shoes and brown suede backpack are fine.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 976,436 times
Yes, you have my permission.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,543,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

Am I looking for comfortable shoes to wear with a shirt and tie. Are loafers fine?
Is this a question about dressing for work?

It really depends on your office and your field. If you work in a conservative law office, loafers are not fine; on the other hand, if you are in sales and your office is "business casual," they would be fine.

You need to look at what the successful men in your office are wearing and take your cue from them. If they wear polished dress shoes, that's what you'll need to wear, too, and if you pay some bucks, you can find comfy ones.

You might also check your dress code in the employee handbook or talk with HR if you have a rep.

In some offices, running shoes are OK. It all depends.

PS: when I started work many years ago, women wore skirts/dresses, panty hose and pumps. Now, many women wear dress slacks and running shoes and it's considered fine.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
Brown Swede

Chef Marcus Samuelsson

as for the actual questions, more context is needed. Work wear, weekend wear? etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,250,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
home | Banana Republic

https://www.wolfandshepherd.com/coll...ts/onyx-loafer

Am I looking for comfortable shoes to wear with a shirt and tie. Are loafers fine? I find boat shoes very comfortable, are they fine to wear with a shirt and tie as well?

Lastly, can I wear black shoes and a brown swede backpack?
Loafers are usually fine, boat shoes never with a tie. The exception would be a law firm, some banks, anywhere you have to wear a suit every day.

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds orthotic wingtips for days when I have to look sharp and stand all day. Not cheap, but sharp and comfortable.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,554,682 times
Perhaps it depends on what part of the country one resides. Laid back california, anything goes, I've seen athletic shoes with shirts/ties and even for wedding attire. Love the freedom of california living.

Now I have a sorta friend who moved here from NY and she is so prime and prissey and never a hair out of place. She says old habits are hard to break, I say get over them. For older people old habits last forever, I guess.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,155,710 times
Suit with tie: dress shoes. Black/blue/grey suit: black shoes. Brown suit: cordovan or brown shoes.

Blazer and tie: usually dress shoes.

Sport coat and tie: loafers = OK. Socks mandatory.

Blazer or sport coat with no tie: loafers = OK. Socks mandatory.

Generally when you see a shirt and tie without jacket it is either someone in what I would call "entry level public contact" such as retail sales, in which case shoes should just be black - or it's a man who was wearing a suit, blazer, or sport coat and has temporarily taken it off, in which case he should have worn the correct shoes for the kind of jacket/pants combination.

All of the above is without reference to the "casual jacket and pants" combination (for example, a light colored linen jacket worn over khaki pants) in which case boat shoes even would be OK (but not sneakers).

Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM

305 posts, read 1,112,357 times
The right (dress) loafers can absolutely work with a shirt and tie, or even a suit. If you're still considering the more expensive ones you linked to, you should also consider these, on sale for a lower price:

Magnanni 'Tevio' Penny Loafer (Men) (Online Only) | Nordstrom

I have been very pleased with my Magnanni loafers, but they are definitely a dress shoe as opposed to a casual/comfort loafer. That said, I have no problem wearing them all day. They are comfortable and well made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty