Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times

Advertisements

For a long time wherever I went I would get the most expensive membership with everyday access to the most powerful tanning beds.

I'm fairly pale now after months of no tanning and am wondering if my tan would get just as dark if I got a cheaper membership with the most basic tanning bed?

I know it would take longer to get a tan, but will the tan eventually be just as dark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:29 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Are you aware of the dangers of skin cancer from tanning?
Tanning - SkinCancer.org
No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer. In fact, people who first use a tanning bed before age 35 increase their risk for melanoma by 75 percent.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
I was always happy with the level 2 beds. Never noticed faster tanning with the higher levels. How many days per week and how long do you tan each session? That matters.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 AM

554 posts, read 622,708 times
I am curious does the more expensive membership give you skin cancer faster as well. Please research tanning beds and skin cancer for your own health and safety.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Everybody knows about the risk, already. Tanning salons also make you sign plenty of papers stating it over and over.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Which bed causes cancer quicker?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Since everybody knows the risks with tanning beds I am going to skip the lecture and actually answer your question:

Lower level tanning beds (think 1&2) have low pressure bulbs, while Level 3-6 have medium to high pressure bulbs. Higher pressure bulbs offer lower amounts of UVB rays with more UVA rays. UVA rays are the rays that bronze your skin. So the higher level beds will bronze your skin faster and last longer. Basically they give you a deeper, darker tan in less time. The higher level beds cost more, but once you have your tan where you want it, you can keep it up by going only a few times a month vs a few times a week with a lower level bed.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Why don't you just go outside and sit in the sun for a bit each morning or work in the yard - early morning, before the sun gets blazing hot? That way you will get your Vitamin D and you'll get a bit of color, and a lot of fresh air? You don't have to do much of that each day to get a nice healthy glow without doing significant damage to your skin while reaping the other health benefits of Vitamin D.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why don't you just go outside and sit in the sun for a bit each morning or work in the yard - early morning, before the sun gets blazing hot? That way you will get your Vitamin D and you'll get a bit of color, and a lot of fresh air? You don't have to do much of that each day to get a nice healthy glow without doing significant damage to your skin while reaping the other health benefits of Vitamin D.
This is what I do - I would never pay to use a tanning bed. Of course, I am fortunate to live in Florida. Getting some sun is healthy, the key is not to go out baking for a day and NEVER let your skin burn. I get my sun while riding my bike; I put coconut oil on my skin (provides a light SPF and moisturizes) and I always have a golden tan. The tan helps protect you from the more damaging sun rays. I am nearly 68, and have a relatively wrinkle free face. I do not smoke and I keep well hydrated.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I want to echo most of these comments. Tanning bed tans are not healthy. And people who sport deep tans all year long look strange. Don't be one of those. Your skin needs a break from the UV rays.

Did you see La La Land? Emma Stone sported no tan at all in that pic. She was her natural pale self.

If a behavior is unhealthy, and expensive, why do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty