Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 AM

1,065 posts, read 592,513 times

Advertisements

Op, that's an interesting observation, come to think of it, that's pretty much what happens to me, as well. For me, a passing moment of feeling dejected due to vanity and ego that needs to be in check for all of us, but definitely not depressed. I think Post #10 about attitude wrinkles or no, holds the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
For example most people I know who tell people their age are told they don't look that age but if I tell someone I'm 42 they don't seem surprised at all. I heard a 22 year old tell someone they were shocked they were 45 but didn't seem surprised at my age. Most people tell me I have no wrinkles but then aren't surprised by my age. I'm very depressed about it.
Nope. I am my age, so why should people be stunned to find out that I'm my age?

I mean, people usually tell me they thought I was younger than my age, but people aren't great judges of some EXACT number that delineates the passage of time.

I'd say you're wasting time worrying. Try to look as nice as you can FOR your age and be content with people telling you that you look good, your outfit looks good, you have a great haircut, or whatever.

I mean, if you want compliments at all.

Maybe that person was surprised your friend is 45 because your friend acts like a younger person. Or because they had assumed that your friend was older than 45.

You never know.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I tend to think that when someone says, "Oh, I never would have guessed! You look much younger" that they're just blowing smoke.

I have never been unhappy about the age I am, although I know some people go through a terrible time when reaching a certain birthday - 30, 40 - it's all the same to me.

First off, don't tell people how old you are. None of their business. If you must tell them, add 10 or 15 years and see if they say, "Oh, I never would have guessed! You look much younger"

I get the "you look much younger" but I think it may be more my attitude and demeanor than my actual looks. In any case, I'm not fretting about how I look.
I think that this is usually what it is.

Sure, it's helpful if you don't have as many wrinkles as the the person is used to seeing in someone that is your actual age (I really don't have much in the way of wrinkles, but that's genetic).

But, ultimately, I think it's the way you carry yourself, the way you dress, and the way you act that leads people to assumptions about age.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:14 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,379,375 times
So what if you look your age? You ARE your age. Embrace that age, whatever it is. Revel in it. It's part of who you are.

Like someone else said, why give that power away to someone else?

When I let my hair go it's natural color - it's natural color is a salt and pepper gray and blonde and brown mix. Personally, I love it. And I LOVE not having to dye it anymore. It shines in the sun. It's very healthy. But I did notice that people no longer assume I'm younger than I am. And you know what - I don't care. I don't mind being 55. I don't mind looking 55. I AM 55 and I have enjoyed getting to this point!

Now I freely admit that I don't want to look older than I am, but looking my age? So what?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:25 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,151,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
You are not answering my question though.
A lot of people may think you look younger but may not say it. Looking "young" has a lot to do with your posture and how fit and trim you are. It's not just about facial features. If you are heavy you look older.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 AM

6,603 posts, read 4,725,619 times
No, I feel the age I feel. Which on any given day may be older or younger than my actual age.

Are you really "very depressed" about this? Have you considered counseling, OP?

There seem to be so many threads about looking your age (or not). I just find it hard to believe so many people have conversations about this.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,885,305 times
No, not at all. I think you're just being influenced by our youth-obsessed culture--which I am so over, by the way. Why do you want to look younger? What age do you hope they'll say you look? What does it really mean to you? That others find you sexually attractive? Relevant? Interesting? You can still be all of those things without looking younger (whatever that means).

When they say you look younger, do you really think they're telling the truth? I just assume they're being nice. If someone thinks I'm 35 or 45, is it really that big a deal? I'm never gonna pass for 22.

Personally, I find being older very freeing. I have found my soul-mate, I have $, I have learned so many things I've lost count. Oh, and the confidence, is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty