Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 03:30 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

I'm a first generation American and I never wore jeans until I was around 9 years old, a couple years after we moved west from New York. My mom and I both struggled to adjust to the super casual AZ culture. People would criticize us for wearing dresses...even casual dresses! To this day, I rarely wear jeans...I wear dressier leggings/tight pants with nice tops and skirts and dresses most of the time. I only one pair of denim shorts. The rest are more dressy and nicer material (it's HOT here so gotta look nice but still get some air! LOL). I feel super constricted in jeans. I still get criticized at times, but I really don't care. I like to look polished, which can be a huge chore with having naturally wavy/frizzy hair, but i work with it and straighten it once a week or so.
Otherwise, yeah definitely an american thing. I don't see this trend overseas or in South America, where my dad now lives. Women carry heals in bags and put them on at work if they use public transit. Pride in appearance, creates pride in other areas of life, in general I've noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 03:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So it is me, or is there a general pressure from society to look "casual" (which in most cases means sloppy and scruffy)?

I work in a male dominated field, and 95% of my coworkers openly make fun of women who wear high heels, are fashionable and look after themselves. They call them "high maintenance princesses". Apparently, they prefer women wearing yoga pants 24/7 or REI gear.

Why have we lowered the standards like this? Is it the West Coast influence (I live and work in Intermountain West and West Coast), or do you see it on the East Coast as well? Is it a generational thing? Media?

It's so sad that sloppiness is being touted as something to strive for, as it translates not just to fashion sense but to attitude to work, life and relationships.

Thoughts?
The problem you are having is you think that casual is the same thing as sloppy.

But, there is such a thing as appropriate dress based on each situation. Yoga pants are not appropriate work wear except for yoga/fitness instructors, preschool teachers, etc. What male dominated field are you seeing women wearing yoga pants or hiking gear as professional clothing? Btw, in many professions high heels are not appropriate either.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Nowadays when I go to the bank, DMV, or post office all the employees look like they just rolled out of bed. Sloppy hair, no makeup (women) and ill fitting casual clothing. It's a rarity to see anyone looking businesslike.

I don't mind "jean Friday" when people look put together and neat.
Ah, well this is where the generational issues are going to come into play.

Makeup is not necessary to be dressed appropriately for the post office. Neither is a "messy" bun inappropriate for the DMV. Banks are going to vary widely on what is acceptable, but I seriously doubt that the people look like the rolled out of bed. That would include wearing pajamas, not brushing their teeth, etc. Exaggerating to a ridiculous degree does not really help make a point when we are talking about fine distinctions.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,037 times
Agreed, except it's one step away from one another, and most people seem to confuse that laid back and sloppy isn't the same thing.

I am from Europe originally, and while I love the US to pieces, it's getting old seeing the perpetuation of the sloppy, uncaring-for-oneself look. The problem is that instead of saying, "yes, this is a problem I'm aware of and I'm working on it", instead people tout it as the new normal.

When I lived in NYC about 10 years ago people there cared to dress well. Not over the top, but classy and clean. Not sure if it's still like that there, or if the "casualmania" has overtaken the East Coast as well.

It's in the same realm as getting asked to "hang" instead of "date", etc.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:03 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I think many people find dressing up impractical and unnecessary and in the case of women things like high heels can carry a lot of baggage - i.e. they're not just seen as dressing up but as sexualizing the clothing, etc., and increasingly people find that less appropriate in the work place today than in the past. As for the 'princess' comment, of course it is a stereotype but I think they are probably looking at the expense and amount of time put into one's appearance as suggesting shallowness and being 'high maintenance' and hard/expensive to please. That is not necessarily correct but it is a stereotype that is out there pretty commonly. If the office dress code doesn't require it, there is nothing wrong with someone choosing to not to dress up. But if someone likes it and doesn't negatively impact the work in some way, more power to him/her - why not?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So it is me, or is there a general pressure from society to look "casual" (which in most cases means sloppy and scruffy)?

I work in a male dominated field, and 95% of my coworkers openly make fun of women who wear high heels, are fashionable and look after themselves. They call them "high maintenance princesses". Apparently, they prefer women wearing yoga pants 24/7 or REI gear.

Why have we lowered the standards like this? Is it the West Coast influence (I live and work in Intermountain West and West Coast), or do you see it on the East Coast as well? Is it a generational thing? Media?

It's so sad that sloppiness is being touted as something to strive for, as it translates not just to fashion sense but to attitude to work, life and relationships.

Thoughts?
Yup, I notice the same. I work at a really casual office. Some colleagues comment that I am "so dressed up," and I am wearing outfits that are barely business casual.

Apparently wearing a dress and some flats is dressed up. Heaven forbid I put on a nicer shoe. I try to mix and match more polished stuff with casual pieces to not make other people uncomfortable.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The problem you are having is you think that casual is the same thing as sloppy.

But, there is such a thing as appropriate dress based on each situation. Yoga pants are not appropriate work wear except for yoga/fitness instructors, preschool teachers, etc. What male dominated field are you seeing women wearing yoga pants or hiking gear as professional clothing? Btw, in many professions high heels are not appropriate either.
Go to a tech company. That is the uniform for women! Be amazed if more than 25% of the woman are not wearing yoga pants or leggings.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 PM

132 posts, read 107,565 times
I don't get why people care how other people dress. Complete strangers. Who cares? Whatever happened to live and let live? I may notice what someone wears and may have a positive or negative view of it, but why should the other person care what I think? Different strokes. Hell, most of the time when I'm out in public I'm busy doing my thing, shopping, running errands, getting from one place to the other, enjoying myself, I barely notice other people. Even in a place of business I don't care. Dressed up, dressed down, or anywhere in between, as long as they're competent at their job, I don't care.

As for make-up and high heels, I wear neither by choice. Neither is neccesary to look good nor to feel good. Males are never given the message that their faces are unacceptable in public because they're not painted up. Females are fine without paint as well.

My mom immigrated to the US from Italy at the age of 30. In Italy she always wore dresses. Here she saw women wore dresses and pants. She tried pants and loved them! At 76 she lives in jeans and at home she likes wearing lightweight sweatpants & shorts or pajamas. She's retired and comfortable. When I was growing up if I saw her in a skirt or dress with heels and make-up that meant my folks were going to a social event like a wedding, party, or special dinner.

To each his own!

Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Go to a tech company. That is the uniform for women! Be amazed if more than 25% of the woman are not wearing yoga pants or leggings.
I did leave in the "etc" to cover other fields where it is relevant.

I work in a STEM field where most people have PhDs and most people wear shorts and tshirts to work. It does vary widely depending on field. Which is why I asked the OP what field she works in but she hasn't seen fit to share that info. Oh well.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Nowadays when I go to the bank, DMV, or post office all the employees look like they just rolled out of bed. Sloppy hair, no makeup (women) and ill fitting casual clothing. It's a rarity to see anyone looking businesslike.

I don't mind "jean Friday" when people look put together and neat.

Around 1992 I began tutoring reading at our local elementary school. I was shocked at how sloppy about half the female teachers looked. Faded t-shirts showing their bras and fat rolls, jeans, and cheap tennis shoes were common. The other half and the 2 male teachers all looked fine. It was very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty