Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
When I (briefly) lived in the Bay Area it was hard to tell who was a software engineer and who was a panhandler from a tent. IMHO that's taking the casual trend a bit far.
Pretty much. But now younger engineers have expensive sneakers. And also there are a lot more easy coast people in tech, particularly in sales so a few more people have button does these days which is an improvement.

But the company hoodie, jeans, free t-shirt and sneakers uniform is a drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nearly 50 posts, and I still haven't seen where the "pressure" to dress down figures in.
When you get regular comments about how dressed up, do you have an interview, are you going on a date....

You are it feel a little weird.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 AM

16,342 posts, read 12,311,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When you get regular comments about how dressed up, do you have an interview, are you going on a date....

You are it feel a little weird.
Just say "it's my style" and be done with it. I don't see how that's "pressure".

Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM

554 posts, read 619,468 times
If you want to dress nice then go ahead. I work with some sloppy dressers as well but I like to take pride in my look also. I have gotten comments before but I ignore those people. If they want to look like a bum on the street they can go right ahead.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,723,987 times
I do not own any heels and I do not wear makeup.

I shower every day, wash my hair every other (it's long and curly), pull it into a pony, and wear clean clothes to work.

I prefer comfort over fashion.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,938,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Nowadays when I go to the bank, DMV, or post office all the employees look like they just rolled out of bed. Sloppy hair, no makeup (women) and ill fitting casual clothing. It's a rarity to see anyone looking businesslike.

I don't mind "jean Friday" when people look put together and neat.
I am replying to this particular post because of the complaints about public serving employees looking sloppy. Most of these people do not make enough money to dress in what we might characterize as a business like fashion. I know because I've been there. I was required for years to look "professional" on a pittance of a salary.

I also think that it is a choice of women whether to wear makeup. I do not think it is awful if women do not wear makeup. This is a choice.

On the sloppy hair, yeah I get it. Newer ways of wearing hair do look sloppy to older folks. And I admit I don't like looking at a rat's nest on someone else's head. But if these jobs paid more money, I think workers would be able to afford to look better. Remember that the women who is dealing with you across a counter might have had to roll out of bed, get breakfast for her kiddos, and then take them to school or sitter, before coming in to work at 8 am for a less than stellar wage. I think we need to cut people a little slack; we often do not take into account their circumstances.

On the general idea about dressing casually, yes, the move is toward more all purpose clothing that can be worn in more situations. I watched a group eat lunch recently that obviously had all come from the same office. The clothes were casual, but everyone looked well groomed. Where I noticed they had spent money, was on their feet. The men, especially, were wearing expensive, though casual, shoes. But the rest of their clothing could have come from Kohls or Macy's.

I do not mind jeans. I wear jeans myself all winter long. I do wish that guys would wash their jeans when they get knee sprung, but that is a personal quibble.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pressure, no.

It being increasingly acceptable to dress down, yes.

I'm totally okay with this.
This pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM

102,079 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Couldn't care less about makeup or what others wear.

What I do care is the negative attitude (like the above post) towards people who do make an effort. The downward pressure to dress down.
It sounds like you missed her point. She was saying that dress should be appropriate to the job; there should be no separate dress rules for women just because they're women. Nobody asks electricians, male or female, to wear dresses and heels on the job. Why should they require that of the engineers who take care of the business' computers? Were her male colleagues required to wear suits and ties? Of course not.

To have a class in "professionalism for women" with no such class for men is pretty clearly discriminatory. I wonder if HR was on board with that. Honestly, it sounds like a workplace that fetishizes women.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-21-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Is that frowned on in your social circle?
Most definitely - especially since my social circle is mostly comprised of people in my age group ten years one way or the other (40s through 60s) and we tend to look better in loungewear than in lingerie.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

13,634 posts, read 12,262,912 times
I've never noticed the "pressure" or making fun of someone that dresses well.

Unless, your talking about someone in a suit and tie in a khakis/dress shirt office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty