Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I own a mirror, so I haven't felt the need to ask, but if I ask how something makes me look, I do expect an honest answer and not flattery. I don't like to fish for compliments.

Al Bundy: "it's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat."
Great point. But it's not entirely accurate. Different clothes look more flattering on certain body types than others. And yes, I will ask my wife if something makes me look fat, especially when I'm out shopping and looking at my butt. The fact is, women can't see their butts well in those ridiculous store mirrors, and mine is rather sizable compared to the rest of the petite me. So I depend on her to tell me if the clothing item makes it look flattering or not. She will tell be honestly. She also asks me for my opinion on clothing she wants to buy, but she never listens to what I say. She buys or doesn't buy the item based on her opinion only. She's stubborn that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
In my experience, if you answer yes once, you most likely will not be asked again.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Yeah, sounds like part of a joke. I have asked it a couple of times to my husband and I do expect an honest answer. Hubby is not one for flattery so he does give me his honest answer and I am not insulted by it. I really want to know the truth.

So my questions are:

1.) Have you ever asked this question?

2.) If you have, do you expect an honest answer?

3.) Do you really WANT an honest answer?

Cat
Yes, yes and yes. But only from husband. He has amazing color sense,
and he sees me as me. When I look in the mirror all I see are my flaws, so nothing looks good in my hypercritical eye.

I found a wonderful guy!

Saying that, he hates prints. So I have to couch my questions away from the print.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yes, yes and yes. But only from husband. He has amazing color sense,
and he sees me as me. When I look in the mirror all I see are my flaws, so nothing looks good in my hypercritical eye.

I found a wonderful guy!

Saying that, he hates prints. So I have to couch my questions away from the print.
Funny, because my husband always comments favorably when I wear a print, which I hardly ever do. I'm more of a black, white and khaki girl. But if he likes me in prints enough to comment, then I try to wear them more.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times
I would never ask such a question, but I have had people TELL me something-or-other "makes" me look fat.

My response to that is that whatever I am wearing cannot POSSIBLY "make" me look fat. I just am fat. Get over it.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I would never ask such a question, but I have had people TELL me something-or-other "makes" me look fat.

My response to that is that whatever I am wearing cannot POSSIBLY "make" me look fat. I just am fat. Get over it.
I love it! Sort of like the Al Bundy comment from a few posts above.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:13 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
"does this make me look too tall?"

That's my question usually and a mirror cannot answer this.

I sometimes like to wear heels but then I am 6'3" or even taller and it is just ...too scary.
Plus we could get decapitated by a ceiling fan!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

I have a friend who likes to tell me things like, "your hair looks better down than when you have it pulled back. When it's pulled back your face looks so full." This from a woman with a face that resembles Ronald McDonald's and the short curly dyed-red hair to go with it.

Or, "I like that dress better than the one with the horizontal stripes. It is more flattering." She mentions this every single time I wear the "other" dress. Both are casual summer dresses that I bought at the same time.

Well, ya know what? I like the striped one, and I will wear it when I feel like it. As a matter of fact, I'll see her Friday. I'm going to wear it just for my own amusement.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Plus we could get decapitated by a ceiling fan!
yes, that's quite a risk factor.

Some people yelled "transvestite" at me when I wore heels in public.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yes, that's quite a risk factor.

Some people yelled "transvestite" at me when I wore heels in public.
Hahaha, I am sorry, but i am now in my late 50s, and when I've been dressed for a wedding or something I've wondered if people thought that of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty