Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
Loves baby soft,that brings back some memories.I remember buying that for a girl I was sweet on in the 7th grade.It was the first gift I ever gave to a girl.

Yeah that was hot back then! I would have loved to get that as a gift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times
Quote:
Ok,I want to know what the perfume is that little old women wear that I swear smells like mothballs?

Could be Este Lauder's Youth dew.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Spilled beer.

I honestly don't know about particular names for fragrances. I don't shop for them either since I've been single a long time. My mom bought me some aftershave/cologne that was called "Candies" for Men and it was nice. I had a positive comment about it two years ago.

I like a lot of the scents on either myself or women like vanilla and coconut, as long as they don't smell too fake and harsh from chemicals.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
LOL!!! Loves Baby Soft, forgot about that.
In the 80's it was Opium, Ralph Lauren, Lauren, Poison.

Now, the only thing I can stand to wear is Coco by Channel. LOVE the stuff. Not the parfum either, way too strong for me. If I can smell someones perfum/cologne they are wearing WAY TOO MUCH. I can not even smell my own.

Every scent reacts differently to each person. While one may smell great on your friend it can react totally different on your skin and not have that smell you were after. To see how it works on you spray a VERY small amount on your wrists, DO NOT RUB IT IN!!!! This breaks up the chemical makeup of the scent. Wait at least 30 minutes before smelling it to see how it is on your skin. Then the proper amount to wear, it should be as light as if you sprayed it into the air and then walked underneath it. But don't do this, it doesn't smell as good on your hair/head as it would on your skin . Rather, scents tend to travel "up" so spray it lower on your body, mid abdomen is a good spot. Spray and wait a minute for it to dry to put clothes on. By spraying it at your midsection it is not right in your nose or anyone elses that could be allergic to it. Wearing it on your wrists is also not the prime spot as you wear it down all day when you wash your hands and if your like me I have to apply lotion on my dry hands after every wash. Can ya tell I used to work in cosmetics and fragrances? If you want to get a BAD headache go stand in any cosmetic/fragrance dept for about 3-4 hours. By the end of it you will be sick just thinking about perfumes/colognes.

As for men, something light and not too musky. My husband has a whole collection that he rotates thru. He gets upset that I can't smell it on him. But as I said, if my broken nose can smell someones cologne, they have on way too much.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
For me I wear "Blue" by Ralph Lauren right now which I love. I used to wear "Design" by PS / Paul Sebastian, which I used to get good comments on it at least once or twice a week. I also have obsession but my husband doesn't like it because it is too close to the men's version for him.

My husband wears right now Tommy Hilfiger 10th anniversary which I like but not as much as his others. He also has Polo -original, Obsession, and Drakkar. I have smelled other scents that smell alright on a guy but for my husband I like the "I want to jump your bones" scents which are all the ones he owns. I have had some men walk by me that smelled delicious and I want ask them what there were wearing but am always chicken.

A pointer for cologne/perfume browsing, I was at Macy's a while back and wanted a new scent for my husband and I smelled everything in the store. anyways, half way thru I told the saleswoman that my nose was shutting down and she handed me a bowl of coffee beans to smell. My nose went back to normal instantly and the headache went away. So carry some coffee beans with you next time.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
My favorite scents:

On Men, L'Occitane's Cade
It smells so good, manly but not too strong or musky, very subtle

On me, Elizabeth Arden's Bluegrass
Or Christian Dior's perfume, it's from a long time ago, not sure what it was called, but I know it when I smell it

Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Quote:
Yeah it's about time I get out and do the smell thing for some new colognes.After about 5 smells it all starts to blend then I get confused.There's alot of different colognes out that I like but I don't have a clue as to their names.I'll have to try out the Paul Sebastian is that his only cologne?
No, but this is the original, it is only called Paul Sebastian (not paul sebastion designs, or whatever his other newer ones are called). I have went out and bought CK, Joop and other many years ago. This is all he has worn since we first met, when he was 21-so it's been 12 years.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM

279 posts, read 1,858,956 times
Quote:
Ok,I want to know what the perfume is that little old women wear that I swear smells like mothballs?
I was thinking Chanel No. 5

Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 AM

613 posts, read 798,216 times
Well, since I worked for Estee Lauder forever, I have all her fragrances, and my favorite one is Pleasures well....Beautiful too. Beautiful has been the #1 frangrance in the world forever! And can you believe that EL Youth Dew is the favorite among men for women!

Loves Baby Soft...oh my....brings back so many wonderful memories of getting all piffed up to go to the skating rink and spraying that stuff...and the Jovan Musk, we thought that was so sexy, and the Gloria Vanderbilt and Windsong. My boyfriends always got the Polo and the Halston Z-14 from me!

Intuition for Men by Estee Lauder is great as is Kenneth Cole Black.

My favorite's now are Lovely, Romance and believe it or not, the last one by Britney (can't remember the name, I like the vanilla in it)

Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM

169 posts, read 678,652 times
I'm allergic to alot of perfumes and colognes so I'm pretty picky about what I like. The only men's cologne that I care for is Nautica. One whiff of that drives me crazy. I wear Vanilla Fields, it's the only one that I like the smell of that doesn't make me sneeze.

I'm an odd one though, I'd much rather a man smell like pine tar and/or linseed oil than anything else lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty