Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times

Advertisements

This is a trivial rant, but I'm frustrated with this issue, and besides, this is the Fashion and Beauty section where moles become mountains, so I'm in the right forum. A couple of days ago I was ordering business casual pants for my new job and I'm encountering this problem over and over: fake pockets on women's trousers. It's not a new trend, but shopping for clothing makes me remember how obnoxious this phenomenon is. Of all the absurd, ridiculous things for clothing manufacturers to do, fake pockets on women's clothing top the list. (And why do all the crappy fashion trends happen to women's clothing anyway?)

A pocket serves a purpose. Its purpose is to hold an item. If the manufacturer is a cheapskate and doesn't want to install a pocket, they should dispense with a pocket completely, not attempt to deceive us with a pocket that is, in reality, nothing but a 1" deep slit. With every pair of pants like this that I own (I own two and might own two more,) every time I wear these pants, I attempt to insert my hand in this not pocket many times I wear the pants, only to discover there isn't one and get annoyed. Instead it is a slit with nothing attached or. Pockets? Great. No pockets? OK. Fake pockets? I totally despise them. I read a funny blog about this and the author, although humorous, didn't have an answer for me about the reason fake pockets exist.

https://meanmaureen.wordpress.com/20...-fake-pockets/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM

16,342 posts, read 12,297,552 times
Have you confirmed that there actually isn't a pocket? I've had a number of instances lately where it appears to be a fake pocket, but on closer examination, it turns out that it's a pocket that is sewn closed (which makes even less sense to me). With a few snips, there's a functional pocket.

But frankly, I prefer pants without pockets, The last thing I need is added bulk in that area.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have you confirmed that there actually isn't a pocket? I've had a number of instances lately where it appears to be a fake pocket, but on closer examination, it turns out that it's a pocket that is sewn closed (which makes even less sense to me). With a few snips, there's a functional pocket.

But frankly, I prefer pants without pockets, The last thing I need is added bulk in that area.
Really? I have seen this phenomenon. I was wondering about the leftover fabric and why it put wrinkles on my butt even though it was a fake pocket (or so I thought). One of these is my back pants pocket. I'll grab the scissors. . .

Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM

4,928 posts, read 10,596,367 times
I, also, am baffled by fake pockets, and I detest clothing with fake/unusable pockets. I once had a tee-shirt with a mini pocket on the breast and a co-worker looked at me and asked, "What purpose does a pocket that size serve?" And he was right (although I don't think that pockets of any size on the breast of tee-shirts are used by 99% of the population). And the fake pockets on pants and jeans are just unnecessary, unless there are people who think that they provide some aesthetic value to the item of clothing (I'm not one of those people).

So, not sure why designers have decided to make clothing with fake pockets. However, a solution is to simply not buy fake pocket clothing. If enough people don't buy it, designers will have less incentive to put the stuff out there.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Really? I have seen this phenomenon. I was wondering about the leftover fabric and why it put wrinkles on my butt even though it was a fake pocket (or so I thought). One of these is my back pants pocket. I'll grab the scissors. . .
Yep. I've notice that about 60% of the stuff I buy with pockets have the functional pockets sewn shut. (Blazers are particularly bad about this) Some of them are just a few basting stitches which are easy to remove, and some of them are sewn a little tighter. It's the weirdest thing, and I don't understand it.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,087,515 times
Pockets in women's clothing are weird, because there's either no pockets, or stupid unusable pockets like the tiny t-shirt pocket or the completely sewn shut pocket. My favorite thing is when you compliment someone on her dress, and the first thing she says is, "it has pockets!" in jubilation.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Pockets in women's clothing are weird, because there's either no pockets, or stupid unusable pockets like the tiny t-shirt pocket or the completely sewn shut pocket. My favorite thing is when you compliment someone on her dress, and the first thing she says is, "it has pockets!" in jubilation.
Ha ha ha ha! It's true! Even though I don't like pockets in pants, I do love them in dresses, especially when they have full skirts. Probably because the pocket doesn't add any bulk in a full skirt. They just sort of disappear into the folds.

(Though to be honest, I rarely wear dresses and skirts, but when I do, I love them to have pockets)
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,056,257 times
Quote:
Yep. I've notice that about 60% of the stuff I buy with pockets have the functional pockets sewn shut. (Blazers are particularly bad about this) Some of them are just a few basting stitches which are easy to remove, and some of them are sewn a little tighter. It's the weirdest thing, and I don't understand it.
Here is why:

Ever tried on a brand new suit and noticed that all the pockets on the suit are sewn in completely shut? Tailors make sure the pockets of a suit are sewn in for many reasons. The first reason the pockets are tightly closed is to make sure that the suit maintains its correct shape when it's in the final stages of being completed during the pressing process. This is the same reasons vents are typically sewn shut. Secondly, the suit looks much better on display when the pockets are tightly sewn together. Finally, the pockets are sewn together to keep the suit clean and free from customers' grimy hands. Once you do cop a suit, you should get a sharp pair of scissors and carefully snip your pockets open so you can put them to use.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Why make a pocket and sew it shut? If we purchase clothing with pockets, wouldn't we want the pocket to function as intended, as an item holder? Which leads us to the next obvious question, what's the purpose of fake pockets? I mean, it's not like pockets are for decoration. They are purely functional. "Hey, I think your pockets are sexy!" said no one ever

Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM

49,975 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
It's to keep the shape of the garment from the factory. The stitches are meant to be removed by the buyer.
I once worked with a girl who wore a pleated skirt with the basting around the bottom. Someone had to tell her to take it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty