Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,832,169 times

Advertisements

Lots of K-Mart stores are closing right now, all across the country. So big sales are underway. If there's one near you, check it out for socks and khakis.

I doubt if the closing stores will have fall clothes, but you could stock up on summer polo shirts and be ahead for the rest of this summer and early fall, and be prepared for next spring and
summer.

When your birthday and Christmas roll around, put clothes on your Santa list and let any potential Santas know what you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 PM

430 posts, read 332,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
You may even be able to find unused socks with the price tag attached at a Goodwill in an affluent neighborhood. People often buy far more than they need and, when clearing out the closet and drawers, donate the rest.

Merchants may even donate to thrifts. This also applies to shirts, slacks, sweaters, etc. Make multiple trips. Also, check a dollar store to see if they have a few affordable pairs of socks to tie you over until your paycheck comes in. Additionally, since your manager is ok with sneakers, you might want to hold off on buying slip-resistant shoes for a while, if that was ever to be done.

Since money is tight right now, even if yo get pants and shirts from Goodwill, you might want to just get a few pairs of slacks and wash them often.

Also, you might want to chip-in with a relative to buy a Costco membership at some point. That way, In the future, you'd be able to buy bundles of socks at a reasonable price.

Good luck!
Thanks for reminding me about Costco memberships! I actually care less about clothes and more about food. Non-perishables would be plentiful there, could easily save money considering that and the fact that I eat more than I can generally afford. Having to invest in one as one person seems fat until you realize how much my food bill is haha. I didn't even know they sold clothes, though, so thanks for the FYI. Do they sell work boots too? I need new steel toes and work two different positions that require them, I'd rather have a pair per job instead of speeding up the ruin time and using one for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Lots of K-Mart stores are closing right now, all across the country. So big sales are underway. If there's one near you, check it out for socks and khakis.

I doubt if the closing stores will have fall clothes, but you could stock up on summer polo shirts and be ahead for the rest of this summer and early fall, and be prepared for next spring and
summer.

When your birthday and Christmas roll around, put clothes on your Santa list and let any potential Santas know what you need.
I forgot about K-Marts, thanks for the reminder!

Just a joke, but I usually ask for Target or Wal-Mart gift cards for those times are the year. Nobody ever buys clothes in my size and everyone gave up years ago lol. Now I get B&N, Wal-Mart, Target, and (once) JCPenneys gift cards. I got a $50 H&M Mens card from a cousin and went balling haha.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,652,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Thanks for reminding me about Costco memberships! I actually care less about clothes and more about food. Non-perishables would be plentiful there, could easily save money considering that and the fact that I eat more than I can generally afford. Having to invest in one as one person seems fat until you realize how much my food bill is haha. I didn't even know they sold clothes, though, so thanks for the FYI. Do they sell work boots too? I need new steel toes and work two different positions that require them, I'd rather have a pair per job instead of speeding up the ruin time and using one for both.
Costco sells clothing, shoes (Very limited and mostly sneakers), bedding, prescription medications, eyeglasses, flooring, laptops, etc., in addition to food. I don't know if they carry steel-toe boots. Regarding food, you can really slice your bill by buying in bulk at Costco.

Also, I don't know how big a part veggies and fruit play in your diet, but you can definitely save big time by purchasing them at Costco and using a crock pot (also available at Costco) to whip up fast and affordable meals. Eat mostly fresh and few processed items, and your food bill should drop.

The same applies if you are a meat-eater.

BTW, even though you did not ask, here's a tip for consuming more healthful veggies if you are not a cook:

Buy a prepared salad from a health food store and then, for a few days, mix portions of it into some really inexpensive leafy greens from Costco. You could even add inexpensive Costco fruits. Voila, you have a tasty, healthful, filling and cheap salad as a side for lunch, dinner, or whatever.

The good carbs will give you added energy to help you with your two gigs.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-07-2017 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,296,798 times
I would also suggest looking for patterned button front shirts, possibly with a button down collar too as that could be an asset in a veterinary office where your collar could get rumpled from various tasks. Checks, plaids, stripes, etc. work well with solid pants and can allow you to have some brighter color choices without necessarily needing an entire shirt in that color.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty