Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 AM

136 posts, read 145,026 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who wants to dress Indie, but I don't live anywhere where theres any of those stores unless its mainstream places like Nordstrom / Rack, H&M, Urban Outfitters, and brands like Lucky Brand, Free People, etc. So thats pretty much the closest I can get to it, and also whatever they sell that I find that fits me well.

But, now I feel like I am getting old for that type of style of clothing for some reason. Now I want to dress in other styles like stuff from Express, Michael Kors, Coach, etc. Even though I did have to wear this stuff for family parties, events, etc that was only extent of it (probably obvious).

I am on the fence because I don't want to lose who I am. So how would I know if its time to switch clothing styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
It is time to switch when your clothing is either:
no longer making you happy
not projecting the image you want
making you feel uncomfortable

Even if you wear dressier or more serious clothing, you can use your accessories or color choices to reflect who you are.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
I guess the question is, are you basically a BoHo dresser, or an upscale yuppie? Only you know. I think you should dress however you feel about yourself.

There is no rule that says you can't dress "indie" as you age. But if you feel that you need to project a different image, then you probably need to find that different image and dress to support that.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:06 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Wouldn't "dressing Indie" be dressing however the hell you want?

Why do people overthink silly stuff like fashion?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,513,470 times
Today's clothing wears out before it goes out of style.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,176,724 times
My son has two female friends who are now 30 & 32 and they still buy their clothes in the junior department. They are dressing like they would if they were in high school. There comes a time when a woman should dress like a woman instead of a teenager.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,608,042 times
I'm facing a major change in clothing - retiring and no place to wear suits, etc.

I have a walk in closet FULL of Chico's Travelers, skirts, tops and dresses in size 1 and 2.

I guess Ebaying all this stuff will be my "new" job after December.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
I am one of those people who wants to dress Indie, but I don't live anywhere where theres any of those stores unless its mainstream places like Nordstrom / Rack, H&M, Urban Outfitters, and brands like Lucky Brand, Free People, etc. So thats pretty much the closest I can get to it, and also whatever they sell that I find that fits me well.

But, now I feel like I am getting old for that type of style of clothing for some reason. Now I want to dress in other styles like stuff from Express, Michael Kors, Coach, etc. Even though I did have to wear this stuff for family parties, events, etc that was only extent of it (probably obvious).

I am on the fence because I don't want to lose who I am. So how would I know if its time to switch clothing styles?

You're allowed to change your mind. You don't have to stay locked in to a look if you're ready for a change.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,686,295 times
Why not keep both type of clothes? I love when people dress Boho one day and posh another day. mix it up and go with what you feel that day or that week or that month. I don't see a reason to overhaul your entire wardrobe that reflected who you were/are & so far you have been happy with it. BUt lately you have desire for something more upscale. Nothing wrong with that but make the transition slowly. Start off with one upscale outfit & try to wear it every week or every other week. Then add another outfit

I live in 4 season area so every season I rotate my closet. I notice my style changes based on season. My winter clothes are more polish (mostly in dark hue, stuff I can wear to work event as well as hangout with friends) while my summer clothes are very casual.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 AM

410 posts, read 337,595 times
Why can't you keep both styles of clothing - one that is more polished/professional and one that is more laid back? Maybe you can take your Indie clothing and update it with accessories like scarves, earrings, etc.? Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty