U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,278,003 times

Advertisements

As something of a student of retailers I find Stein Mart an interesting operation. They strike as a bit of an odd duck. The apparel shades toward what you'd find at a Belk, they are not shy about stocking clothing that is somewhat flamboyant by middle America standards yet that's clearly the demographic they are targeting (having stores in places like Ft. Wayne, IN, Tulsa, Wichita, Canton, OH etc.) At the same time there's a whole Marshall's/TJ Maxx vibe going on there as well.

Once in awhile you'll find some closeout item that represents a tremendous value but more often than not it's something you need to just wait for until the markdowns commence.

The hardlines items again are a very mixed bag, gravitating from middle of the road items to stuff you'd have the misfortune of seeing at a Marrakesh street market booth. Often just aisles apart.

I've not really seen much in the way of business news reporting about them but I'd love to learn more about their business model and frankly how they manage to keep the doors open given the apparent lack of identity and continuity in the products they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 04:06 PM

19,066 posts, read 6,294,123 times
In my shopping years, I loved to go in there when I was in Palm Springs.

Now in my late years, it is Amazon and Hanes on line. And throwing a lot of stuff out or to goodwill stores.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,049,543 times
I shop there regularly. The one in my area often has nice things. But since you never know what you're going to find, I pop in whenever I'm in the area. I rarely leave without finding a good deal. I've bought clothing, boots, bathing suits, undergarments, things for the home, toys, etc. that were high quality at very, very low prices, like $19 for $120 pants.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,093,899 times
I've always liked Stein Mart - it seemed to be the place to find whatever I couldn't find in the department stores. If I needed something for a special occasion - Stein Mart when I bought a skirt for an event and the top was backordered and couldn't be delivered in time - found something better at Stein Mart....

kinda stopped going there for a couple of years - (1) cuz my wardrobe became very casual due to my work environment and (2) finances changed - not much was bought for a while....

Stopped in the Stein Mart by my house a few months ago and WOW sale city and got some great things... go in about every 3 weeks or so and always seem to find something... scarf, top, etc. liking them lots!

Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 PM

34,828 posts, read 42,971,317 times
I have been there, but not lately. I never found much there. I keep meaning to go back, but it's kind of far and I don't buy very much.
Usually, my local TJMaxx has what I need.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:01 PM

3,233 posts, read 1,511,874 times
I've stopped by. Found it really junky.

Not for me.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:01 AM

9,184 posts, read 3,991,397 times
The Stein Mart near me here in Florida definitely seems to cater to the senior women especially in the petite section. The only things I have bought there are shoes and some work out wear.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 AM

27,485 posts, read 15,169,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's a Steinmart near my parents' house, and in the few times I've been there I get the sense that it's supposed to appeal to the kind of older lady who likes her clothes to have rhinestones and/or sequins on them.
I would say the Steinmart in our area is like that. One of the ladies I work with loves to shop there and she is a lover of a good time, a woman of a certain age, and wears a lot of sparkly tops. On her, it looks good.

Not so much for me.

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

4,567 posts, read 7,575,323 times
I've had one about 12 min away from me for years. I go about every 1-2 months & see something I like about 80-90% of the time. They do have things you don't see at other stores, so I do like them overall.
If I got a $1000 GC (gift card) for them as a gift, I won't be mad, ha! (Kohl's, however, would be another story!) Overall, I've bought a good amount throughout the yrs. I think their prices are pretty good.

My location decreased the size of their jewelry, which I buy the most of there. I don't care for their selection of footwear though & don't really get their lingerie or sleepwear.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

8,226 posts, read 7,530,026 times
I stopped going to the one in Sarasota because it was so old ladyish. They clothes were yuck but definitely catered to the demographic.

OP, you really need to let go of this Izod obsession. Find a better shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty