U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good solution for really dry hands? My hubby and I do a lot of outdoor work(I wear gloves most of the time) and my hands feel like fine sandpaper.

I've tried all kinds of lotions and moisturizers and nothing works. Help.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
Have you tried Aveeno intense relief? It works best for me out of all the ones I've tried. I get it at Rite Aid, Walgreens, whatever drugstores you have there should carry it. I ordered it online from a US site because I can't get it here in Europe. Bagbalm(originally meant for cow's utters) is great too and cheap.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,563,577 times
My husband and I have (HAD) the same problem.
I was referred (by my friend) to a product made by a big cosmetic company (Mary Kay), especially designed just for the hands.
It consists out of an exfoliating scrub, a hand "mask" and a deep moisturizer.
It helped us out a lot, and works like nothing I've ever tried before. (Trying Jergens, Nivea....etc.)
BTW...my husband uses and abuses his hands a lot in his job (stone, sod etc.) and I abuse my hands just as well (meat cutting, cold, salt solutions and chemicals).
Our hands were to the point of being cracked and bloody.....OUCH!

But, I found out if you do this, it will help as well...(on a "whim" so to speak)
*get a hand scrub (The dry and rough skin needs to be "polished" of....just like every other place (skin cell turnover), hence the term "exfoliating".
* a bath in warm olive oil works wonders as well, and is very good for the nails.
* get a good body moisturizer (look for "dry skin" formulas), which are sometimes a bit greasy...but, in this case it's what we are looking for "stay power".
Put it on your hands, and cover them with cotton gloves (preferably overnight, when you sleep)

Just by doing something simple like that, you will see IMMEDIATE improvement!
Good luck...been there......

Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM

170 posts, read 825,390 times
I would definitely second the use of cotton gloves at night and exfoliating. I've noticed great benefits while using a salt scrub.

I've even lathered up my hands, slipped on plastic bag and then slipped them in oven mitts while watching a DVD. The extra warmth feels really luxurious, just like when I'm at the spa.

I hate greasy feeling things so I've found that Neutragena Norwegian Formula works wonderfully. It seems to penetrate yet leave a protective coating that doesn't feel slick.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,703 times
I second the bag balm for really cracked dry hands. We get it thru the Vermont Country Store but we've seen it elsewhere...mostly where they sell old time stuff. It's sort of like a firmer vaseline. Put it on at night with cotton gloves for the best results. Wear gloves while gardening, doing the dishes (water really adds to the dryness), etc. Baby 'em...it's the only way to help.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
I saw bagbalm at Rite Aid but that was in Pa, I'm not sure about other states.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM

342 posts, read 1,592,888 times
Yes, it is that time of year. Mine get so dry in the winter coupled with the fact tht I wash my hands all of the time. I use Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream, like BrokenDolly mentioned. A little bit goes a long way. Also, for an exfoliator you can use prior to the hand cream, I use Sally Hansen's Manicure in a Minute. It is in an orange tube. I bought mine at Target. My hands definitely feel softer after using it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Thanks everyone. I have to go and get some cotton gloves today. Where can I get them? Are they just gardening gloves?

I will also try exfoliating, the bag balm, and Neutrogena hand cream.

Lisa

Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 19,643,324 times
My husband uses the walnut hand wash from Bath & Body Works and then Zim's Crack Creme, which I also use. It is excellent for keeping hands soft.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:55 PM

170 posts, read 825,390 times
Sometimes it can be hard to find actual cotton gloves. The ones I have are really a microfibre (a fancy word and a few dollars more than saying polyester in my opinion). I actually got them from Origins but any olds simple pair of cotton gloves from a drug or department store will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty