Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any luck finding or using arch supports in sandals? Similarly, has anyone found sandals with built-in in arch supports that don't cost a fortune?

I ordered a pair of these Vionic sandals and was really disappointed with the quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have an issue with the arch support of the shoe not positioned directly under the arch itself, and I have a feeling that will be a common problem with any shoe with built up arches. I wear a 6.5 W shoe which is sometimes a tough size to find. As I've gotten older I'm finding that I need the additional support because it affects my lower back. I absolutely hate sneakers but have given in and resorted to them, however I would like the ability to wear sandals in the summer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 04:19 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Funny you should mention Vionic shoes. I never heard of them until my podiatrist recommended that I wear sturdy shoes for my foot stress fractures. He wrote out a "prescription" telling me where to get them. They have a website also with many styles both sandals and closed. He also mentioned Sketchers, anything where the toes do not bend when you fold them in your hands. I assume also that have arch support. If not there are inserts to accomplish that, which I got at his office and put into my sturdy Sketchers shoes I used for work last year.

So I had a Dillards gift card and went to Dillards and got the pair I wanted, which was the white slip on with the toe separator. I see that they are "Podiatrist Designed".

My shoes fit fine, but I don't wear a wide. Try finding them at a better quality department store and try them on before buying.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Funny you should mention Vionic shoes. I never heard of them until my podiatrist recommended that I wear sturdy shoes for my foot stress fractures.
The Vionic sandals I purchased were not sturdy at all. The strap across the toes were fairly narrow and didn't prevent my pinky toe from slipping out. The straps all velcro (a good thing) but the T-strap is removable so it slides around. There doesn't seem to be much style variation with Vionics and I cannot wear a slide or thong sandal of any kind. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
These hold up well, been wearing them daily, year 'round for 5 years, they have some arch support and a few different styles: https://www.okabashi.com/

They are also sold at some Longs drug stores (CVS).

Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
These are cute but I did not see any closed shoes. I will check them out at CVS. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
These hold up well, been wearing them daily, year 'round for 5 years, they have some arch support and a few different styles: https://www.okabashi.com/

They are also sold at some Longs drug stores (CVS).
These are exactly what I DON'T want (backless, thongs (flip-flops)) I'm looking for a dressier flat sandal.

These look like Crocs which I've worn in the past when I had plantar fasciitis and have found them to be quite comfortable, but that was before I started to have issues with my back. I have a pair of Croc sandals that are backless and I can't wear them all day without throwing out my back.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I've worn Orthaheel sandals, they have a very high arch support, too high for me I think. Keen sandals have just about the right amount of arch support. Merrells are somewhat supportive, but a bit less than Keen.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:45 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I also have an issue with the arch support of the shoe not positioned directly under the arch itself, and I have a feeling that will be a common problem with any shoe with built up arches.
Yes, why is that, anyway? The supports only go half way down the arch. Quite annoying!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I got these on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have the same comfort as shoes with arch supports.

they seem to run a bit big.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I've worn Orthaheel sandals, they have a very high arch support, too high for me I think. Keen sandals have just about the right amount of arch support. Merrells are somewhat supportive, but a bit less than Keen.
Thanks for the tip on the Keen's. There are a few open-toed styles that I think I'll check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty