Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Any women here have their makeup done by those women in the dept stores? I imagine it's helpful for women that don't know much about makeup or how to apply it. But even if you do have you had it done before?
It REALLY depends on who you get. Most of the time, it really isn't all that helpful. Most of those assistants are amateurs. If you ask to make an appointment with the head of the department, you'll have a much better chance of learning some useful skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 01:35 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
Bobby Brown is usually great

Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, particularly when I am looking for a new product or a new technique. I do it a few times a year. I stay far away from the MAC counter though. They must have something in their training that says "if you see a black woman, use the most ridiculous possible colors on her."

MAC is good from the perspective it does have a foundation that matches me, but they are libel to do something like green eye liner, yellow lipstick and black blush if they are allowed free reign. I have picked up some nice lip colors from them.

Sephora is fun since you can play around with everything unattended. Sometimes the employees do good makeup.
LOL, really? I wonder if Ulta is any good because I have an event coming up and I might want to get my makeup professionally done. I wear a MAC foundation, but I've never had anyone do my makeup before and I don't want to end up looking like a drag queen.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
MAC is usually very good and popular among the younger crowd.But It depends of course. Look at the person applying your makeup, how do they look? Go to the department stores like Macy's, Nordsrtoms, Saks etc...those girls and boys usually know what they are doing as they are trained , sent away on training etc.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,563,021 times
I think it's a nice way to see new ways of doing makeup. Now I'm a guy so my two cents is worth exactly that, but some of the high school seniors I photographed would have their make up done there before coming to a photo shoot. Many of them wore very little make up normally so their reactions were mixed. I will say I thought most looked better for their pictures though.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
LOL, really? I wonder if Ulta is any good because I have an event coming up and I might want to get my makeup professionally done. I wear a MAC foundation, but I've never had anyone do my makeup before and I don't want to end up looking like a drag queen.
I haven't tried at Ulta. All of the Sephora's nearby are staffed by super young people and the kids love heavy makeup.

I like Macy's or Nordstrom and have had good luck at Clinique, Bobbi Brown and Lancôme. Actually Guerlain Tom but they don't have foundation to match me but I got an amazing palette that was great for highlighter and blush.

MAC Is definitely hit or miss. I have had good luck with eyes and lips at Urban Decay but that is risky.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Once I had someone put blush on my cheeks, and she put so much on it was terrible! First of all, she used pink. Pink on my face is all wrong. I need something with a yellow undertone. My cheeks looked inflamed.

Another time I had a saleswoman "match" my skin tone and give me a sample of expensive Dior makeup. (She solicited me; I did not approach her.) The make up had a gray undertone that was unflattering to my skin tone. Ugh!

Old 09-04-2017, 05:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Yes, twice... and I wasn't satisfied. I still had to go home and tweak it to my liking. However, one makeup artist did manage to sell me both lipstick and lipgloss, so I guess it wasn't a complete fail!

I'm very particular about how my eyes are done. I feel like my eyes are a tad too close together so I do my makeup in such a way that they are drawn outwards a bit.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Any women here have their makeup done by those women in the dept stores? I imagine it's helpful for women that don't know much about makeup or how to apply it. But even if you do have you had it done before?
Are you talking about having it done because you might want to buy something, or just having it done because it's a free service?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Are you talking about having it done because you might want to buy something, or just having it done because it's a free service?
My friend used to go get her makeup done at department stores before dates and events. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty