U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 09:20 PM

909 posts, read 813,956 times

Advertisements

I've tried it once and it made me look like a local news anchor.

On the other hand, my mom once had great makeup done at Dior counter. They had some kind of event and brought some people from out of town who were obviously well trained. My mom still talks about it and she buys the same lipstick (Fashion show) ever since.

Back in my 20s though I went to see a professional makeup artist and it truly changed my life. I would've never known otherwise I've been using all the wrong colors. Darn you, women magazines!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 10:33 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Interesting to note. The sephora by me and the ones in NYC specifically hire women of different ages, styles and skin tones. My sister is biracial and my daughter is multiracial and the women were wlll equipped to help them find colors for their skin tones.
People who are biracial and multiracial are generally a lot lighter than I am. And there are way more options. Most highend makeup lines do not have anything close to my tone, Lancôme and MAC are exceptions. Lancôme is very recent. "Natural" and organic skin care doesn't even come remotely close.

I did the color matching at Sephora. There were 2 choices. It is a little better now, Bare Minerals got added to the list. But not all Sephora's stock the Lancôme color that works. Eat for me and it matches less than it used to.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 PM

1,287 posts, read 989,326 times
Yep, and I look like I'm ready for drag afterwards. I avoid them like the plague.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 AM

1,221 posts, read 709,963 times
Yes. I'm a Rouge member at Sephora, so I can get my makeup done for free, whenever I want. I find that if you are specific with the MAU there, they do a wonderful job.

That being said, I don't use it every day.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,324,398 times
Whenever I am looking for new makeup product, I visit several counters and ask for recommendation. I am spending money, why shouldn't I shop around & try different things. I even take samples & TBH sometimes this process can take few months. I have had some good luck and some bad luck. There were few times the foundation recommended was soo off and it took me several use before I realize how much it didn't match me.

For full face makeup, I have had it done 2x at makeup counter. Both for parties. One at MAC (before friends wedding) and one at Dior (my bridal shower). Both had $50 minimal limit of items to buy and I did find things I liked. The MAC was little over the top but I was expecting it and braced myself for it. Dior I loved but the foundation oxidized over time, i did not know that. Glad I tried it. Oh and my very first experience was in Khols when I started wearing makeup. I had a lady do full face, I had no events to go to but I genuinely wanted to learn about makeup & learn how to apply

Last edited by keraT; 09-12-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,354,490 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Any women here have their makeup done by those women in the dept stores? I imagine it's helpful for women that don't know much about makeup or how to apply it. But even if you do have you had it done before?
Depends.
Some suck and others are decent.
I can do my own makeup just as good so I wound not go out of my way to do it.
If done it all it would just be for fun.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 PM

510 posts, read 130,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Had mine done once at Sephora and it was awful. I was specifically looking for a foundation that was the right shade for me. I walked out looking like I sat under the tanning lamp for an entire day. It was at least 3 shades too dark. Plus some too-bright blush and I looked ridiculous.

Years ago, like in the mid 80's, I had it done at Merle Norman and it turned out great. I bought everything they put on me. Is Merle Norman still around?
I did the same thing by going to Merle Norman (yes..still around!). Then over the next decades I strayed and used BeautiControl until they shut down in the summer of 2017.

Today...I stopped at a Merle Norman and proceded to talk skin care and then make-up. I truly wanted the whole works! It took me back to that “first time” when I bought make up for a wedding I was in. I still have and use my make-up brushes that bought back then! The whole experience brought me back to the 1980’s and my impression then and now is the same. Quality and pretty make-up . It was fun! And, yes, I walked out with a new skin care and make-up regimine.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Never , the thought of having it done in front of others makes me sick apart from the fact I cant have most makeups put on my skin . so no and wont ever have it done...Ive never even had a friend put on my makeup..

Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 AM

510 posts, read 130,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Never , the thought of having it done in front of others makes me sick apart from the fact I cant have most makeups put on my skin . so no and wont ever have it done...Ive never even had a friend put on my makeup..
Why not? The demonstrators use disposable one use applicators. I never want to sit in the aisle of a Dept store..Merle Norman studios are more private.

By the way...Merle Norman was a lady who founded the company also a hundred years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or