Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times

Advertisements

Had mine done once at Sephora and it was awful. I was specifically looking for a foundation that was the right shade for me. I walked out looking like I sat under the tanning lamp for an entire day. It was at least 3 shades too dark. Plus some too-bright blush and I looked ridiculous.

Years ago, like in the mid 80's, I had it done at Merle Norman and it turned out great. I bought everything they put on me. Is Merle Norman still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:17 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, particularly when I am looking for a new product or a new technique. I do it a few times a year. I stay far away from the MAC counter though. They must have something in their training that says "if you see a black woman, use the most ridiculous possible colors on her."

MAC is good from the perspective it does have a foundation that matches me, but they are libel to do something like green eye liner, yellow lipstick and black blush if they are allowed free reign. I have picked up some nice lip colors from them.

Sephora is fun since you can play around with everything unattended. Sometimes the employees do good makeup.
The darker the skin, the less likely make-up "professionals" are to know what to do with it, not realizing that the darker the skin, the less gilding is necessary.

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Going and having them do your makeup for free, knowing you have no intention whatsoever of buying anything, is just as rude as going to a restaurant and wasting the server's time by taking up a table, getting only water, and leaving no tip.
Many times you have to pay for it, You call ahead of time and make an appointment.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The darker the skin, the less likely make-up "professionals" are to know what to do with it, not realizing that the darker the skin, the less gilding is necessary.

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."
When I worked at Macys all my black coworkers and customers went to the MAC counter. There was a couple of makeup artists who did an amazing job working at that counter.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Several times over the years in various places and useless.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I work in a Dept store. Directly across is: Clinique,Estee Lauder,and Lancome. Every clinician,is trained properly to: listen to the customer. Access the skin and customers style. Offer tips on application. None have ever slopped on product or ignored the clients preference. I'm disappointed to hear folks say that the staff simply slapped on product...
My only negative is the overpriced tools they insist on selling ..A 24$ sponge...Or a gimmick product to decrease wrinkles. Retinol and der-mage' are the only ones that have real results...
I'm not one to be made over..But some of the ladies that do get the treatment probably 'feel' that it's given them an enhanced refreshed look.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Had mine done once at Sephora and it was awful. I was specifically looking for a foundation that was the right shade for me. I walked out looking like I sat under the tanning lamp for an entire day. It was at least 3 shades too dark. Plus some too-bright blush and I looked ridiculous.

Years ago, like in the mid 80's, I had it done at Merle Norman and it turned out great. I bought everything they put on me. Is Merle Norman still around?
Sephora digitally matches your skin color to a foundation. Was this maybe quite a while ago?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't tried at Ulta. All of the Sephora's nearby are staffed by super young people and the kids love heavy makeup.

I like Macy's or Nordstrom and have had good luck at Clinique, Bobbi Brown and Lancôme. Actually Guerlain Tom but they don't have foundation to match me but I got an amazing palette that was great for highlighter and blush.

MAC Is definitely hit or miss. I have had good luck with eyes and lips at Urban Decay but that is risky.
Interesting to note. The sephora by me and the ones in NYC specifically hire women of different ages, styles and skin tones. My sister is biracial and my daughter is multiracial and the women were wlll equipped to help them find colors for their skin tones.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 AM

554 posts, read 622,708 times
I had my make-up done at the MAC counter one time and as another poster stated you have to be careful they don't make you look clownish. I was very specific with the lady who did my make up and told her I want to look natural. Another option is also hair salons because the more upscale ones usually have a person who does make-up, facials, etc.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
No way! Everyone I've ever sen have their makeup done at the department store make up counter looks like a clown, Tammy Fay Baker, or a hooker! Who would pay for that? Then there's also the issue I have with germs. They use the same makeup for multiple people. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty