U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 AM

100 posts, read 54,526 times

Advertisements

Any women here have their makeup done by those women in the dept stores? I imagine it's helpful for women that don't know much about makeup or how to apply it. But even if you do have you had it done before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:27 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
Yes. Twice. Both times my husband said I looked too made up.
They put so many layers on and colors I'm just not used to having on my face.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Any women here have their makeup done by those women in the dept stores? I imagine it's helpful for women that don't know much about makeup or how to apply it. But even if you do have you had it done before?
Yup, particularly when I am looking for a new product or a new technique. I do it a few times a year. I stay far away from the MAC counter though. They must have something in their training that says "if you see a black woman, use the most ridiculous possible colors on her."

MAC is good from the perspective it does have a foundation that matches me, but they are libel to do something like green eye liner, yellow lipstick and black blush if they are allowed free reign. I have picked up some nice lip colors from them.

Sephora is fun since you can play around with everything unattended. Sometimes the employees do good makeup.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:04 AM

2,198 posts, read 735,109 times
Never have. I worked with a young woman that wore no makeup and she eventually got curious enough to try it, so she went to one of those counters. I don't know what she looked like with the makeover but she bought some products, and when she came to work I could tell the difference immediately. It was subtle but it made her face come alive and she looked great.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 AM

15,743 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Not at the general make up counter but at Sephora yes. I took my sister there when she was ready to start wearing makeup. They typically have make up artists of different ages, styles and ethnicities so you can find someone whose sensibilities and aesthetic most closely match what you are looking for.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 AM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Yes and they always want to put pink & purple eye shadow on me for some reason. I did have my make-up done for my wedding and although I felt it was a little heavy handed, it looked great on the video.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes and they always want to put pink & purple eye shadow on me for some reason. I did have my make-up done for my wedding and although I felt it was a little heavy handed, it looked great on the video.
Purple eye shadow can look great actually. In the right shade. One of my go to colors. Great for a smokey eye. I have 2 shades, a really dark one for a smokey eye. And a warm medium purple with lots of gold tones and sheen that just warms things up, but looks polished in a low key way.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 AM

680 posts, read 655,899 times
Yes. Never again.

I was actually at the MAC store, years ago, buying foundation and I wasn't sure which shade to get. After this woman was done with me, my face had a green tint to it. I looked like an alien. My son was around 8 at the time, asked me as we were leaving, "What's wrong with your face?" I grabbed his hand and rushed out the store, and out the mall. Washed it off as soon as I got home.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:04 AM

16,934 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Yes, Once it was very subtitle and I liked it. Another time it was overkill and I looked like a clown.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:21 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,720,009 times
I have. I looked like a hooker when it was done. Plus, even though my eyebrows could use some filling in because of overplucking, I have no desire to look like Bert from Sesame Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or