Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,552 times

Advertisements

Yes, but only when they haven't seen or heard me. It's because my first name is usually given for males. I have thought about changing my name a few times in my life, but I felt like I wasn't really myself if I changed the name I grew up with. I'm always pleased when someone emails me with a Ms. knowing they must've done some research before they emailed me. The ones that address me by Mr. go straight to the trash.

On the other hand, I did run into a person who I really thought was male, but she was female. She really looked like a man, even had a noticeable mustache and her voice was deep like a man. Then one day I saw her carrying a purse over her shoulders and someone called out her name, "Vicki." I was quite stunned. I never learned if she was a trans or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:37 AM

20,742 posts, read 19,939,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Yes, but only when they haven't seen or heard me. It's because my first name is usually given for males. I have thought about changing my name a few times in my life, but I felt like I wasn't really myself if I changed the name I grew up with.

On the other hand, I did run into a person who I really thought was male, but she was female. She really looked like a man, even had a noticeable mustache and her voice was deep like a man. Then one day I saw her carrying a purse over her shoulders and someone called out her name, "Vicki." I was quite stunned. I never learned if she was a trans or not.
Maybe he/she had parents like you who gave him/her a name who is usually given to someone the opposite gender

just kidding (couldn't resist).

Old 09-20-2017, 09:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Maybe he/she had parents like you who gave him/her a name who is usually given to someone the opposite gender

just kidding (couldn't resist).
Yeah, I would've thought that at first, except she was carrying a lady's purse all the time and going to the women's restroom.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:41 PM

71 posts, read 78,873 times
So interesting how we are paralysed by gender and sex. It seems very important to us that we be one or the other. If there is confusion or mistakes, it makes us very worried.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,931,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickjesus View Post
So interesting how we are paralysed by gender and sex. It seems very important to us that we be one or the other. If there is confusion or mistakes, it makes us very worried.
Especially by those who are trying to force everyone else to recognize them using specific pronouns so they won' be upset because it is so upsetting that in some places you will be guilty of a crime if you don't use the *accepted* pronouns.

Shocking isn't it. We got along fine without a peep about gender until the last few years.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:00 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,151 times
The responses here arc fascinating.

Why would it be so bad if you were mistaken for a different gender? Do you think that little of the one you may have been mistaken for?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,206 times
I've never been mistaken for the opposite gender that I know of. I did mistake a woman for a man once. It's a pretty vivid memory because it was so embarrassing. I wish I had just made the mistake from afar, but no. She had very short hair and her clothes seemed to scream "male" to me. Oddly enough, she had one of the most dainty voices I've ever heard. She was pretty offended when I mistook her for a man and I literally ran away because I didn't know what to say.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Shocking isn't it. We got along fine without a peep about gender until the last few years.
Obviously not everyone got along fine until the last few years. In fact, this is exactly the kind of remark a lot of white people made during the Civil Rights movement; saying "everything was fine until all them black folks started to want equality."

Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,503,005 times
As a kid, yes a lot. In all fairness, I had short hair and dressed like a boy and was thrilled people mistook me for one I've mistaken kids a few times, and there are some adults I'm unsure about gender. Take away hair and any obvious genitalia and girls and boys don't always look that different anyway.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,510,885 times
Never in person.

But on the phone, when giving my name as "Jim" the other person often asks "Jin?" or "June"? This sort of thing happens only when trying to deal with big companies or organizations, though, as a result of the bad connections that seem to be almost inevitable these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty