U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:29 PM

4,933 posts, read 2,562,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You work with people who are obsessed with a specific color?! I can't think of a single person I've known in real life who was obsessive over a color like the OP is.
I never said that... I was responding to someone who said they thought it was bizarre that the OP was a man.

I said I work with a very liberal Company --having eccentric people around do not bother me. I find them interesting and entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:35 PM

13,344 posts, read 7,115,490 times
You could say either pink, or black, for example - looks great with pink and easy for anyone who doesn't have or want to wear pink.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I never said that... I was responding to someone who said they thought it was bizarre that the OP was a man.
Because of how obsessed he is over the color pink. That is something you would expect from a 15 year old girl, not a 30 year old man.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:20 PM

26,866 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Even "encouraging" guests to wear pink comes across as a bit controlling. I know that this is a party to celebrate your birthday, but a good host should strive to make his guests feel as welcome as possible. Presumably your friends already know how you feel about pink - I would not be surprised if you received some pink gifts or at least gifts wrapped in pink. I would not ask your guests to go beyond that to try to control the color they dress in.

Be lavish with pink decorations if you want, but let your guests be comfortable and not feel like they have to purchase clothing the would not otherwise wear for this single event.
None of you ever go to parties with a theme? I don’t get it. This year I have been to parties with themes ranging from Roaring 20s and Prohibition, a tea party where everyone was supposed to wear dresses and 2 parties where you can dressed in your favorite decade.

I hate dressing up, but I can humor people with a theme. I happen to like pink and have plenty of pink but if it was a color I didn’t like I’d have no problem getting cheap jewelry or going to Target to buy a ribbon to tie on my wrist or whatever. Or you can get socks!

I think pink drinks and cocktails at the party would be pretty fun!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:34 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
None of you ever go to parties with a theme? I donít get it. This year I have been to parties with themes ranging from Roaring 20s and Prohibition, a tea party where everyone was supposed to wear dresses and 2 parties where you can dressed in your favorite decade.

I hate dressing up, but I can humor people with a theme. I happen to like pink and have plenty of pink but if it was a color I didnít like Iíd have no problem getting cheap jewelry or going to Target to buy a ribbon to tie on my wrist or whatever. Or you can get socks!

Nope. If I have to buy something specific to wear, then I won't attend. If I wanted to dress in that style/color, then I would own those clothes. I don't buy clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc that I will only wear for a few hours.

I'm VERY practical when it comes to clothing. My husband got lucky! My sister is the complete opposite. She turned one of the bedrooms in her house into her shoe room. It's literally filled floor to ceiling with shoes on all four walls and racks in the middle of the room.....shoe stores have fewer shoes! She has 2 large walk-in closets full of clothes! She has a ton of jewelry, too. My husband frequently says he dodged a bullet by marrying someone like me instead. He actually owns more clothes than I do. And neither one of us owns anything pink.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
None of you ever go to parties with a theme? I donít get it. This year I have been to parties with themes ranging from Roaring 20s and Prohibition, a tea party where everyone was supposed to wear dresses and 2 parties where you can dressed in your favorite decade.

I hate dressing up, but I can humor people with a theme. I happen to like pink and have plenty of pink but if it was a color I didnít like Iíd have no problem getting cheap jewelry or going to Target to buy a ribbon to tie on my wrist or whatever. Or you can get socks!

I haven't been to a theme party since I was 19 and in college.

But being asked to wear a dress, or dress in your favorite decade is much different then having to wear one specific color. Most women have a dress they can wear, and someone could just say now is their favorite decade and wear their normal clothes.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,334,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Be a host not a dictator! People should be having fun at a party. This sounds incredibly stifling. If you encourage me to wear anything in particular, I'm not coming. You're not my mother. I'm not 5 years old. I am an adult and fully capable of picking out clothes to wear. In fact, I do this every day twice a day!
Wait, so if a party invitation that arrives for you specifies casual attire, or 'after 5', or Hawaiian luau, eighties throwback, costume party, ect. you would feel stifled and refuse to attend?
If dude wants a theme party and his theme is pink I don't see any harm in asking his guest to wear pink if they have it, and if he makes it optional or wants to provide inexpensive pink doodads for his guest to wear.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wait, so if a party invitation that arrives for you specifies casual attire, or 'after 5', or Hawaiian luau, eighties throwback, costume party, ect. you would feel stifled and refuse to attend?
If dude wants a theme party and his theme is pink I don't see any harm in asking his guest to wear pink if they have it, and if he makes it optional or wants to provide inexpensive pink doodads for his guest to wear.
Casual attire is something pretty much everyone already owns. Not sure what after 5 means.

I don't own anything Hawaiian, 80's, etc. I don't do costume parties at all. And no I wouldn't buy something to wear. I had 80's clothes back in the 80's......no point in reliving them!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 PM

3,121 posts, read 1,216,189 times
Perhaps you could have fun pink accessories on hand for people to wear. feather boas, party hats, bow ties, funny glasses.
and will you serve only pink food?

incidentally, color psychology says pink represents a desire to or a need for nurturing. Is that what it represents for you?

Old 09-30-2017, 04:43 AM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
I'd go! I think it sounds fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty