U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 01:06 PM

14,528 posts, read 29,244,157 times

Advertisements

Costume or theme parties are a very different thing than the OP is suggesting. You have a lot of leeway in those, but being told to wear an extremely specific color, especially one that many people are not likely to own or wear is just a turn-off. I love pink myself and would have no problem; however most people don't, especially most men. Other than black/white parties, these specific "color themes" just really don't fly with most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 16,084,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
?? Welcome to the modern world--I honestly do not find it bizarre! I live in a very liberal world and work for a very liberal Company--I find nothing odd about it Variety is what makes life interesting!

It really depends what kind of friends he has. I have a flamboyant friend, I have a transgender friend-- in both situations they have lots of friends that would go along with a party theme.
Interesting take on the motives for men who wear pink (liberalness, flamboyance, etc)

I think of pink for men's clothes as a (culturally) conservative, preppy thing. Like guys wearing pink buttondowns with khaki slacks or a pink polo on the golf course.

Take these young Republicans, for example:

Source:https://thebrasharian.files.wordpres...3/06/prep1.jpg

Old 09-30-2017, 03:53 PM

10,321 posts, read 6,223,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wonder if Truman Capote got so much grief when he had his black and white ball? Seriously, it's the guy's birthday party, it's supposed to be all about him. I hope he has friends that love him enough not to pitch a fit if he asks if they would wear his favorite color in honor of his birthday.
I can't help but wonder if much of this isn't because he's a guy and he likes (ok, he's obsessed with) pink and in spite of several people who seem to believe they are all for gender equality, deep down they find it somewhat unsettling.
Black and white are "colors" that most people own. I would think a majority of women own a black dress or a black skirt/pants that they could pair with a white or black top. And most men would own a black suit, or at least black pants/white shirt.

The issue people are bringing up with the OP is that pink is not the most popular wardrobe choice among adults, despite what the OP might think. I own clothes that would fall under most color categories, but I don't own anything pink. I was trying to think of someone I know who wears a fair amount of pink, but my mind is drawing a blank. So while the OP might own 50 articles of clothing in "fairy tale pink", most of us do not.

It would have to be a very good friend for me to go out and buy an outfit that I would never wear again. And with it being fall, pink is not going to be the easiest color to find.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:02 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,796,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Black and white are "colors" that most people own. I would think a majority of women own a black dress or a black skirt/pants that they could pair with a white or black top. And most men would own a black suit, or at least black pants/white shirt.

The issue people are bringing up with the OP is that pink is not the most popular wardrobe choice among adults, despite what the OP might think. I own clothes that would fall under most color categories, but I don't own anything pink. I was trying to think of someone I know who wears a fair amount of pink, but my mind is drawing a blank. So while the OP might own 50 articles of clothing in "fairy tale pink", most of us do not.

It would have to be a very good friend for me to go out and buy an outfit that I would never wear again. And with it being fall, pink is not going to be the easiest color to find.
I can tell you that all of my dress pants are black except the grey pair. I have white blouses for work. Black blazer as well. Black blouses as well......lots of black in my closet! I don't think I've worn pink since I was like 5 or 6. My mom says once I started liking purple, I DESPISED pink. As far as I remember, I haven't owned anything with pink in it since then.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:54 PM

26,681 posts, read 27,585,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

I wear pink on a regular basis. I have another colleague who does as well. We are often matching.

There is also “millennial pink” having a moment right now.
https://digiday.com/marketing/millen...-refuses-fade/

I just got a pink monogram on a phone case. @Pink Jazz - you should invite me to your party.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 AM

5,918 posts, read 3,150,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Perhaps I can encourage guests to wear pink, but not make it a requirement.
"Security!"
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...eyNP2g2b5Fszmg

Old 10-01-2017, 06:17 PM

10,042 posts, read 7,138,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How does it sound fun? How does fun change if everyone wore pink instead of their regular clothes? Are the food and drinks better? Is the conversation different?
First IT'S A PARTY. That sounds fun for starters.
Second, it's a themed party, which can be hilarious depending on what body hair people decide to dye pink or what outrageous costumes we find at the second hand store. (think bridesmaid dresses on hairy guys)

Having a theme is a very uniting thing and is an automatic ice breaker. C'mon! Where and when??!!

And I can see colors without even doing illegal drugs!!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:05 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,508,833 times
Hmmm...I don't think most here have read other posts by OP.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:49 AM

12,305 posts, read 9,796,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
First IT'S A PARTY. That sounds fun for starters.
Second, it's a themed party, which can be hilarious depending on what body hair people decide to dye pink or what outrageous costumes we find at the second hand store. (think bridesmaid dresses on hairy guys)

Having a theme is a very uniting thing and is an automatic ice breaker. C'mon! Where and when??!!

And I can see colors without even doing illegal drugs!!
You and I have completely different meanings of a party.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 AM

31,805 posts, read 26,030,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Okay, my 30th Birthday is coming up this December, and since pink is my favorite color, I was wondering, would it be a good idea to have an all-pink party where everyone wears pink? My outfit will be my IZOD Pelican Print Newport Oxford in Fairy Tale pink.

My concern would be that it might turn off a lot of men. Also, during that time of year, pink clothing isn't widely available in stores, since pink is usually part of fashion companies' Spring collections, while that time of year the Fall collections are still mostly available (although for women's clothing Resort collections are typically also available). However, IZOD did release a small number of Spring 2017 products last year in mid-November.

What does anyone think about this idea? Note that I would not mandate any specific shade of pink, since some people may prefer darker shades of pink.
Ask people to wear their favorite pink clothes if they have any, and tell them if they don't, not to worry, because you'll supply the pink party favors.

It'll be fun.

I don't even think I own any pink (except underwear) so I'd be one of those people wearing black, but I'd wear whatever pink beads, hats, etc that you tossed out to the guests. It's your party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty