Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

So I saw a sponsored post in my Facebook feed linking to this article.
Outfit mistakes that will make you look sloppy.

This article covers what would have been considered basic grooming not too long ago. It is prefaces with use these tips for special occasions like a date or job interview.

I scanned the comments, and I could not believe what people were saying.

"OMG, this article is ridiculous, why should they complain about me wearing a hair tie on my wrist. I have long hair, it is a necessity. I can't be forced to dig in my pocket or purse for a hair tie."

"I love my dog, and her fur, who cares that is all over my clothing."

"I am short, of course my pants are too long."

It is like people are insulted these days if someone wants them to take basic care in their appearance!

I remember a time you would never see someone wear chipped nail polish. Now people just wear their polish until it chips completely off. And the trend right now with jeans is frayed bottoms when you purchase them.

And people, public figures, intentionally wear their clothing super tight or ill-fitting.

It is interesting how things have changed in a short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Where are the helicopter parents when you need them? Did they feel that teaching their kids basic good grooming would be too stressful for the kids? Or did the parents, themselves, not practice good grooming? Walked around with lint or animal hair on their clothes, and rumpled shirts?

Old 10-02-2017, 01:37 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
You are expressing your opinion about what you feel is acceptable. Someone who chooses loose-fitting casual clothing may not agree with your judgement that they are "sloppy". What you might consider well fitted or tailored I might view as uncomfortably revealing. Wearing jeans with slashes and holes in public? Not for me unless I'm hauling trash to the dump. Others may feel their ridiculously expensive ripped jeans are the epitome of fashion. You may not leave the house without perfect nail polish. I have never even worn it. Many think clean clothing, clean hair and skin is good enough. IMHO, heavy obvious makeup implies desperation or even obsession. To each their own. The flack everyone gets for their choices is just that.....flack.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Or people could just mind their own business and not worry about what others look like.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
You are expressing your opinion about what you feel is acceptable. Someone who chooses loose-fitting casual clothing may not agree with your judgement that they are "sloppy". What you might consider well fitted or tailored I might view as uncomfortably revealing. Wearing jeans with slashes and holes in public? Not for me unless I'm hauling trash to the dump. Others may feel their ridiculously expensive ripped jeans are the epitome of fashion. You may not leave the house without perfect nail polish. I have never even worn it. Many think clean clothing, clean hair and skin is good enough. IMHO, heavy obvious makeup implies desperation or even obsession. To each their own. The flack everyone gets for their choices is just that.....flack.
Well, to be fair, the article didn't say that makeup and nail polish are a must. It only said that if you wear makeup and nail polish, to keep it fresh. I've never heard of anyone wearing yesterday's makeup. But then, like you, I move in circles where makeup & nail polish aren't a thing at all.

I think much of the post is aimed at "professional" contexts, office attire, making a good impression in an interview, and that sort of thing.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I saw a sponsored post in my Facebook feed linking to this article.
Outfit mistakes that will make you look sloppy.

This article covers what would have been considered basic grooming not too long ago. It is prefaces with use these tips for special occasions like a date or job interview.

I scanned the comments, and I could not believe what people were saying.

"OMG, this article is ridiculous, why should they complain about me wearing a hair tie on my wrist. I have long hair, it is a necessity. I can't be forced to dig in my pocket or purse for a hair tie."

"I love my dog, and her fur, who cares that is all over my clothing."

"I am short, of course my pants are too long."

It is like people are insulted these days if someone wants them to take basic care in their appearance!

I remember a time you would never see someone wear chipped nail polish. Now people just wear their polish until it chips completely off. And the trend right now with jeans is frayed bottoms when you purchase them.

And people, public figures, intentionally wear their clothing super tight or ill-fitting.

My dad used to wear a suit every day to work, and I have memories of being a kid a helping him polish his shoes for the next day. He had a kit with polish and brushes and chamois cloths. I don't imagine many people do that anymore.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:12 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But then, like you, I move in circles where makeup & nail polish aren't a thing at all.
Aren't we lucky?

TBF, my mom did show me basic makeup techniques when I hit my teens, but she was a wise lady and picked her battles. It never "took". Coating one's skin with that stuff just for appearance's sake made me squirm. Nail polish? Only wore that to keep my guitar picking hand's nails stronger. Didn't last past the next boat scrub down or dog bath.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Not all things are appropriate for all occasions, this article was focused on "special" times. There is a difference in intentional loose fitting and casual and just too loose. The same is true for body conscious clothing and things that are too tight!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My dad used to wear a suit every day to work, and I have memories of being a kid a helping him polish his shoes for the next day. He had a kit with polish and brushes and chamois cloths. I don't imagine many people do that anymore.
My dad did the same! I thought it was soo fun.

I really need to start polishing my shoes. I end up doing it maybe once a season, depending on the shoe.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Also, my mom always zeros in on anyone in public who is wearing unpressed (or at least visibly wrinkled) clothing. For her, ironing her family's clothes was an act of love and pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty