Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,690,996 times

Advertisements

Parents nowadays got no control over these teenagers. But if the person wearing them is of adult age, who cares what they wear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

102,166 posts, read 107,578,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Are you referring to bike shorts (I think they are called) that come down to above the knee. I've seen them worn with a long polo which came down below the butt. It looked cute but I guess it's how you wear them. Something that can be sleezed up if not paired well.
She said there was no length to them, they looked like panties. Bike shorts have long legs; by her description, it sounds like these didn't have legs, or even short cuffs at the top.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:12 AM

506 posts, read 649,770 times
They didn't show "skin" in the back. The thing about them that really shocked me was their sheerness. As in as sheer as nylon underpants. If one would place their hand underneath them you'd see the hand.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM

35,538 posts, read 17,872,837 times
There was a brief time - last year - where you'd see groups of girls out in public (Target was a big place to see this) wearing ratty t-shirts and ratty underwear, and that was all.

Like the kind of thing you wear to bed. Faded underwear and a largish (but not totally covering the butt) worn faded t-shirt. And then for extra fun they'd reach for stuff on high shelves, revealing the entirety of their underwear and a little of their back.

When I was in middle school in the 70's, it was a thing for girls to have hair longer than their dresses. The thing was you could sit on your hair, but your dress was so short when you sat down you weren't really sitting on it.

So I guess nothin' new.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-17-2017 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 PM

638 posts, read 528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Parents nowadays got no control over these teenagers. But if the person wearing them is of adult age, who cares what they wear
When did parents have control over teenagers?

My great great grandparents, well there were many of them, most got married young or at least left home and did as they pleased. At least one moved out west and another one left the old country entirely and moved to the US, alone, as a teen.

My great grandparents all were working, getting married, and enlisting in the military as teens, lying about ages, and generally doing what they wanted.

My grandparents married as teenagers and moved across the country to join distant relatives. Two joined the military. Three dropped out of high school as teens. (All managed to buy houses and raise families and keep jobs just fine--it was a different time.)

My parents left home to work in cities far away as teens, and did their share of drugs with the other boomers.

My own generation couldn't get jobs until 14, not a living wage at 16 certainly; we went to college on our own dime, but our parents didn't dream of locking us up at 16. Control over our clothes? Goodness no.

The kids in our home today have less freedom due to the cost of living, than the three generations previous. In fact it's the lack of freedom they suffer from more than anything else. I wish we could tell them to get a job, drive across the country, and skip class half the time like we did... get some freedom, life, independence before you're bogged down.

Parents nowadays have no control? It's exactly the opposite. The amount of economic control we have over kids is terrifying. That's probably why many parents feel like it's not worth it to argue about shorts.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,651,153 times
Teenage girls are known for....wearing "revealing" clothing. It's not surprising. Not too long ago, there were a few girls whose butt checks were hanging out. Hell, in college i saw this girl's butt hanging out.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
When did parents have control over teenagers?

My great great grandparents, well there were many of them, most got married young or at least left home and did as they pleased. At least one moved out west and another one left the old country entirely and moved to the US, alone, as a teen.

My great grandparents all were working, getting married, and enlisting in the military as teens, lying about ages, and generally doing what they wanted.

My grandparents married as teenagers and moved across the country to join distant relatives. Two joined the military. Three dropped out of high school as teens. (All managed to buy houses and raise families and keep jobs just fine--it was a different time.)

My parents left home to work in cities far away as teens, and did their share of drugs with the other boomers.

My own generation couldn't get jobs until 14, not a living wage at 16 certainly; we went to college on our own dime, but our parents didn't dream of locking us up at 16. Control over our clothes? Goodness no.

The kids in our home today have less freedom due to the cost of living, than the three generations previous. In fact it's the lack of freedom they suffer from more than anything else. I wish we could tell them to get a job, drive across the country, and skip class half the time like we did... get some freedom, life, independence before you're bogged down.

Parents nowadays have no control? It's exactly the opposite. The amount of economic control we have over kids is terrifying. That's probably why many parents feel like it's not worth it to argue about shorts.
I think fathers have or should have a say about just how naked their kids may be in public. My parents were Very lenient with me but I'm pretty sure they'd draw the line at my wearing underwear to the grocery store. Ideally, it should not balloon into an "argument" which takes two. It should be a , "put on shorts , take those off or...." (fill in the blanks). I am so sick of teens intimidating parents. My granddaughter is fourteen and she calls it "gross" when she she's certain things. But, then, she knows what's allowed and what is not.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM

638 posts, read 528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I think fathers have or should have a say about just how naked their kids may be in public. My parents were Very lenient with me but I'm pretty sure they'd draw the line at my wearing underwear to the grocery store. Ideally, it should not balloon into an "argument" which takes two. It should be a , "put on shorts , take those off or...." (fill in the blanks). I am so sick of teens intimidating parents. My granddaughter is fourteen and she calls it "gross" when she she's certain things. But, then, she knows what's allowed and what is not.
Do you see teens intimidating parents often?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM

It's not that I personally witness teens intimidating parents. I feel it's a given. People just know that kids are getting away with crap on a regular basis. It isn't something you have to photograph . The public just knows it's going on as the family breaks down.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM

10,877 posts, read 7,328,141 times
short shorts have been around since at least the 1940s. I remember seeing a picture from Life magazine that dated back that far.

However, it sounds like the OP is talking about "dance pants"
traditionally worn under a costume in case your skirt flipped up, they've become popular without the skirt onstage at concerts and in music videos.

All the world's a stage...

...even the grocery store.

Last edited by steiconi; 10-17-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty