Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,266,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
Today, after smelling a guy in line with way too much cologne and a woman later in the day with way too much perfume, I'm wondering who uses it and how much?

I'm 53 and I don't think I've used cologne in about 25 years. I like to be clean and I wear deodorant, but I just don't like to have this smell around my neck all day, or even on a date. I like to just be clean. That's not to say a very subtle perfume on a woman walking by isn't nice (I'm a guy).

While I don't have any skin sensitivity issues, I found that I am now using fragrance-free detergents, dishwashing liquids, etc. I'm just tired of all the fragrant smells. Am I alone in this??
I do react to fragrances so other than a light-scented deodorant and shampoo I keep to fragrance free products, including detergent. If it's a fragrance that hangs around me too long then it's a product I don't use again. The same holds true for hand soap--a light scent while using is fine, but I don't want to notice it later.

Where I work, some people will use lotion or apply a scent and you can hear the sneezing start up in the surrounding area. If they are super-heavy or sweet fragrances, I find they are a bit nauseating. I really wish people would leave their strong-scented products for after-hours use. Apparently there is an actual policy regarding strong fragrances, but it is not one that is routinely followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,269,541 times
Quote:
Ever smell a woman who is wearing a baby powder scented deodorant or pantyliner? This offends me more than any other scent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm with you, I can't stand the smell of baby powder.
This is really funny...I get a headache from virtually ALL perfumes/colognes and the ONLY scent I can use is--you guessed it--baby powder! But I rarely use deodorant--I use the real deal baby powder on my armpits and I don't use it directly on my nether region.

I used to LOVE wearing fragrance--when I was a teen and young adult it was Oh! De London!, Charlie Girl and Love's Baby SoftL. As I got older it was Anais Anais and Diorissimo was probably my favorite. At one time I even sold Avon. Unfortunately, in my later years I developed bad allergies and now most fragrances will trigger wicked migraines. I can't even burn candles or go into places like the Body Shop.

My co-worker has 2 students working for her and one of them comes to work practically dripping in perfume. I mentioned it to my co-worker and she now has this student working in a different area (normally the students work at a computer workstation on the other side of my cubicle) She also has a male student who seems to be going heavy on the aftershave lately. Agh!

Quote:
The only thing my daddy ever used was Old Spice aftershave and that was not all the time. He was sparing with it when he did use it..
My dad wore Old Spice as well--and I still love it--it is a nice memory....

Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,359,286 times
I go for unscented everything. Haven't worn perfume in years. Have some sensitivity (especially to lavender), and hate having to be in close contact with someone wearing too much.

Ages ago, I read that some perfumes include harmful chemicals (because they smell nice). Ugh, no thanks.

I also read that air fresheners work by covering odors with more odors and/or desensitizing your nose. More ugh.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,372,788 times
One of our most important senses is scent. It is the most evocative of the senses, as well, tied closely to memory - as someone mentioned above, a scent can take you back decades and you are right there, with that person or experiencing that event. I find the current "oh, my God, scent is going to KILL me!" bandwagon to be very, very sad. Especially since going without scent causes me to be chronically depressed and I have to go without it virtually all the time due to the above-referenced bandwagon. (Having seen bandwagons come and go, all intended to control others, over the decades, I particularly abhor them.)

I'm not talking about being drenched in scent, either. The aroma police have made it very clear that ANY scent is unacceptable.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 887,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashorselady View Post
one of our most important senses is scent. It is the most evocative of the senses, as well, tied closely to memory - as someone mentioned above, a scent can take you back decades and you are right there, with that person or experiencing that event. I find the current "oh, my god, scent is going to kill me!" bandwagon to be very, very sad. Especially since going without scent causes me to be chronically depressed and i have to go without it virtually all the time due to the above-referenced bandwagon. (having seen bandwagons come and go, all intended to control others, over the decades, i particularly abhor them.)

i'm not talking about being drenched in scent, either. The aroma police have made it very clear that any scent is unacceptable.
100%

Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 AM

93 posts, read 84,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find the current "oh, my God, scent is going to KILL me!" bandwagon to be very, very sad.

Especially since going without scent causes me to be chronically depressed.
And some may think it's sad that YOU get chronically depressed if you don't smell multiple chemically produced scents wafting in the air. That sounds like an addiction.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:43 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,773,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Scent connoisseur here! I’m a member of Basenotes ... I’ve owned so many over the years.

My current collection:

Hermes 21 Faubourg
Tabu
LuLu by Cacharel
Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
CK Escape
Escada Magnetism
Gucci Rush (my favorite)

Other old favorites I’ll be adding again:

Angel
White Diamond Night
Chanel Chance

And about 25 others I have on my wishlist ......
Couldn't rep again.. Here's your rep! Nice taste my dear..

Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
One of our most important senses is scent. It is the most evocative of the senses, as well, tied closely to memory - as someone mentioned above, a scent can take you back decades and you are right there, with that person or experiencing that event. I find the current "oh, my God, scent is going to KILL me!" bandwagon to be very, very sad. Especially since going without scent causes me to be chronically depressed and I have to go without it virtually all the time due to the above-referenced bandwagon. (Having seen bandwagons come and go, all intended to control others, over the decades, I particularly abhor them.)

I'm not talking about being drenched in scent, either. The aroma police have made it very clear that ANY scent is unacceptable.
Amen! Standing ovation and we'll said!

Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 AM

ROFLMBO... I was wondering the same thing! With a nose like that you should be a bomb sniffing/rescue dog... Seriously you could make a real difference in a good way.
Maybe a change of career is in your future! WOW That's an amazing ability! That's a blessing ... Use your God given talents to make the world a better place...

Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
And some may think it's sad that YOU get chronically depressed if you don't smell multiple chemically produced scents wafting in the air. That sounds like an addiction.
By golly, I think you're right... Does insurance cover this addiction? I guess rehab is in order.. I'm positive I can't be cured... Pray for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty